LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Gospel musicians playing secular music  (Read 32442 times)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Re: Gospel musicians playing secular music
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2009, 04:16:09 PM »

In the case of the deacons running a liquor store I definitely would've said something to each and every last one of them in private in a loving way and then I would've left the rest up to prayer.

So if you were a pastor, would you allow that deacon to operate in ministry?

Offline MyVirtue

• LGM Member
  • Blue Tears; P!nk Dreams"
    • YouTube

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2009, 04:37:20 PM »
I know i have no right to be in the bass room... lol.. but, i have a right to my opinion and yall gon geddit! LOL!

Honestly, as enticing as singing and playing "wordly music" as my church calls it, I would not do it! I would not waste nor share ANY of my talent (not that i'm some great, talented chick, but ya know...) on the world. Yes, the pay is better and the face time can benefit the career of a 'professional' musician... but why take something the Lord gave you and give it back to the world?

The bible does say, "what does it profit a man to gain the WHOLE world, and loose his soul." Playing for secular, wordly, ungodly (whatever you wanna call it) artists is nothing but trying to gain the world... and in the end, what did it profit you? a few extra hundred dollars that you could have sat at a desk or fried some chicken for?! It aint worth it! The bible also says, "How can two walk together except they agree." which would lead me to question the Life lived by the "christian."

Why would you want to take you and your sanctified self to play for an artist that does not serve the same God you do... Yes, everyone is a Christian, everyone "loves God" but not everyone is serving Him.. not everyone knows Jesus to be their savior. Whether they are "devil worshiping" or not, you know the type of tree by the fruit it bears... I'll choose the tight life NOW and walk too holy rather than live a loose life now and not make it to Heaven later... i'd rather do too much than not enough.

But i'm not trying to tell anyone what to do... lol... not tryna be bossy and stuff... I'm just giving opinion; and sorry it was sooooooooooooo long! lol  :-*
Enchanted Living!! I'm living in a kind of daydream; I'm happy as a queen!

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2009, 04:37:52 PM »
So if you were a pastor, would you allow that deacon to operate in ministry?

If I knew that he was running a liquor store I would ask him to step down from his position.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2009, 04:43:11 PM »
What about "Do Me Baby"? :D

That's a hard one. I am on the fence. Anybody wanna chime in? ;D

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2009, 05:24:43 PM »

if you playing at the churh couples ministry outing it might be ok...ROFL!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2009, 05:34:22 PM »

Honestly, as enticing as singing and playing "wordly music" as my church calls it, I would not do it! I would not waste nor share ANY of my talent (not that i'm some great, talented chick, but ya know...) on the world. Yes, the pay is better and the face time can benefit the career of a 'professional' musician... but why take something the Lord gave you and give it back to the world?

The bible does say, "what does it profit a man to gain the WHOLE world, and loose his soul." Playing for secular, wordly, ungodly (whatever you wanna call it) artists is nothing but trying to gain the world...

So because I choose to play with a Jazz artist or take a job as a school music teacher, I gain the whole world and lose my soul? Is that what you are saying?

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2009, 05:38:11 PM »
In the case of the deacons running a liquor store I definitely would've said something to each and every last one of them in private in a loving way and then I would've left the rest up to prayer.

im more interested in what u would say to the deacons running the fried chicken spot next door. lol.

I know i have no right to be in the bass room... lol.. but, i have a right to my opinion and yall gon geddit! LOL!
you have every right to be here....wait a minute, u do realize the bass is the best instrument ever, right? you do...then carry on. lol

and in the end, what did it profit you? a few extra hundred dollars that you could have sat at a desk or fried some chicken for?!

this quote alone is so fitting. u definitely belong in the convo.

but wait, how are we defining "secular music"? we sing "Happy Birthday" at my church for all the people that had a birthday that week. Thats not a gospel song, or is it now gospel because it was on a skit on one of Mary Mary's old albums. lol

btw, i was listening to an Earth Wind & Fire greatest hits collection double CD, and i heard a few songs on there that respected Gospel artists sing. The music is straight up the same. i can A/B a song if needed, one that i didnt even know about until i listened to the collection. So some of the gospel stuff we shouldnt be playing either if this topic is so black and white!
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline manutabora

• LGM Member

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2009, 06:38:01 PM »
Wow, this is a very tough subject to discuss. I'm a young believer but I've been in many kinds of environments and learned a lot from many different experiences in different churches, so I feel like I have some things to say about some of this.
About alcohol... I cannot agree that drinking alcohol at all is bad. Remember, Jesus' first miracle was to make water into WINE. At the last supper, they broke bread and drank WINE. Paul told Timothy to quit drinking water because it was bad for his stomach, and to drink more WINE. That's right, for his health! I don't provide specific quotes only because I'm in a hurry, but the passages should be easy enough to find. So, alcohol in itself is not evil. In fact wine is used a lot in the Bible as a symbol for joy and celebration. Drunkenness is, as we all know, a different story.
Now, back to secular music. I was raised in Honduras and our churches are very strict with those kinds of things. So it's okay for people to dance, speak in tongues and go crazy in church but if you dance even a slow dance with a girl people think you're of the devil. If you listen to secular music, again, you're damned to hell... Now, at that time I was already studying classical music, and nobody had an issue with that. Why? A lot of the classical literature is secular, and I can tell you that some composers had really dark motivations for writing that music and it really comes through.
Now that I'm in the States, I have learned things that make me feel free as far as playing secular music. In fact, I think you pretty much have to if you want to be a well rounded musician. There's not a lot of Christian funk that I know of and that is a really fundamental area of study for bass players. However, I still won't do any of that stuff in Honduras in front of my family. Am I being a hipocrite? I don't think so. The issue is not always with yourself but with others. Paul said he became all things to all men, so that in the end some may be saved. He also talked about being stumbling blocks for others. So, if my faith allows me to eat pork (listen to/play secular music) but I know that such freedom will cause somebody else's faith to weaken, then that's surely a NO-NO for me, even though I have no issue with it myself.
This is my take on this. If anyone else with more insight has a better explanation, I would love to hear it too!

Offline Christlike1984

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Can someone show me where the transpose button is
    • Faith Community Bible Church

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2009, 08:04:55 PM »
The difference for me boils down to if you can be seperated from the action, or if the action doesn't cause another to stumble.

Like Jeremyr said, a Deacon owning a liquor store... that would definately cause some folks to stumble.

In the instance of playing music, you have to get more involved in the process than merely pushing buttons, or stocking a shelf, cutting grass, or other such occupations.  As a Software Engineer, at a company that is not Christian I can code all day, and when I leave the desk, I take nothing with me.  (And before someone says it, "Yes, I have turned down many projects because the product could be a stumbling block for others, and No I don't watch television shows, or read literature that is not beneficial for more.  Remember God is not a respector of persons, so if You wouldn't feel comfortable following a man of God who does said action, you should probably refrain from it as well.)

Playing music is a SPIRITUAL act, whether you guys want to acknowledge it or not.

So that the post is not only based on my opinion lets put some scripture to it.

Can a believer play secular music?  The answer in short is "YES"  But we have to ask ourselves is it beneficial to our Christian walk?  1 Corinthians 10:23 "All things are legitimate [permissible--and we are free to do anything we please], but not all things are helpful (expedient, profitable, and wholesome). All things are legitimate, but not all things are constructive [to character] and edifying [to spiritual life]." - Amplified
   +1
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he can never lose." Jim Elliot

Offline MyVirtue

• LGM Member
    • YouTube

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2009, 08:09:45 PM »
im more interested in what u would say to the deacons running the fried chicken spot next door. lol.
you have every right to be here....wait a minute, u do realize the bass is the best instrument ever, right? you do...then carry on. lol

this quote alone is so fitting. u definitely belong in the convo.

but wait, how are we defining "secular music"? we sing "Happy Birthday" at my church for all the people that had a birthday that week. Thats not a gospel song, or is it now gospel because it was on a skit on one of Mary Mary's old albums. lol

HAHAH you're funny!!! I play the Keys but even i realized the best instrument God allowed man to create was the Bass!!! Lord knows... the bass can carry a service... and a good bass player can make a bass preach from genesis to revelations!!!!!!!!  Thanks for letting me in the convo! LOL!

I define secular music as that music that does not, in any way, glorify God or send a message of Jesus' imminent return. Secular music is music that does not posses the ability to edify, comfort or exhort; secular music is music that does not compel men and women to be saved... it is music that does not profit the soul.

Birthday songs??? um.... IDK what that is.. inspiration! LOL!

Offline MyVirtue

• LGM Member
    • YouTube

« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2009, 08:13:40 PM »
So because I choose to play with a Jazz artist or take a job as a school music teacher, I gain the whole world and lose my soul? Is that what you are saying?

U... I'm saying exactly what i said when you quoted me.. nothing more, nothing less.. you can take it how you want to.  :P  ;)

But I'm saying this: People can do what they want to do... but in the end, every work whether good or evil will come into judgment... I'd rather do the works that would benefit me now, which would be to live a life pleasing in God's eyes rather than perish in my sins.. so... you can take that and run with it.. or you can trash it... this is how Anyana Dominique Michelle Kinchen is living her life! LOL!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2009, 08:24:36 PM »

U... I'm saying exactly what i said when you quoted me.. nothing more, nothing less.. you can take it how you want to.  :P  ;)

But I'm saying this: People can do what they want to do... but in the end, every work whether good or evil will come into judgment... I'd rather do the works that would benefit me now, which would be to live a life pleasing in God's eyes rather than perish in my sins.. so... you can take that and run with it.. or you can trash it... this is how Anyana Dominique Michelle Kinchen is living her life! LOL!

umm......sure

Offline MyVirtue

• LGM Member
    • YouTube

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2009, 08:28:41 PM »

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2009, 08:34:07 PM »
what?

I'm saying exactly what i said when you quoted me.. nothing more, nothing less.. you can take it how you want to. :D

Offline MyVirtue

• LGM Member
    • YouTube

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2009, 08:46:23 PM »
I'm saying exactly what i said when you quoted me.. nothing more, nothing less.. you can take it how you want to. :D

this is why on saturday you will return to NY without a face!

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2009, 09:03:24 PM »
Its the classic question. why is there always a double standard for music.  Is it because music is different from everything else. Is music different. We may never know until the pearly gates open.  You just have to be careful and follow your own convictions and pray.
you got to hear numbers

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2009, 09:34:32 PM »
What about "Do Me Baby"? :D

I've done it several times.  And we threw down too.  Does that negate me as a Christian in anyone's eyes?  If so, you'll be aaaight.

When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2009, 01:01:53 AM »
for those of you who feel that you can do things in "moderation" with the term moderation being the key, do you also believe that this applies to things such as marijuana, meth, and or coke?

Where do you guys draw the line with things that are hazardous to your body? 

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2009, 01:10:13 AM »
for those of you who feel that you can do things in "moderation" with the term moderation being the key, do you also believe that this applies to things such as marijuana, meth, and or coke?

Oh, how much fried chicken is too much???

:D ?/? ;D

(Please - I'm playing w/you, not advocating taking or doing anything illegal)

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2009, 08:23:30 AM »

Good point, jeremy. Certainly we can do things in moderation but careful choices must be made. For example, I was with some friends who wanted to go to a cigar bar. One of us (my brother, actually) who is a non-smoker went along because he wanted to try it. I politely declined. One cigar probably would not have had a significant effect on my health and well-being but I chose not to indulge, not even to the point of trying it.

I draw a very strict line with drugs of any sort. Smoking as well. I have no desire to try either, even in moderation.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up