LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Gospel musicians playing secular music  (Read 32430 times)

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

Re: Gospel musicians playing secular music
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2009, 09:11:30 AM »
Oh, how much fried chicken is too much???

:D ?/? ;D

(Please - I'm playing w/you, not advocating taking or doing anything illegal)

LOL!! 

Maybe friend chicken should be illegal..hmmmmmm :D

I draw a very strict line with drugs of any sort. Smoking as well. I have no desire to try either, even in moderation.

Do you feel that if prohibition was a success and made it until today that Christians who currently see no problem with it would have a different view towards alcohol and possibly put in the same category as other drugs?

Now to plays the evil advocate here's a question.

Marijuana medically helps with glaucoma, so why does the church still label it as bad if it has "medical benefits" and it is a natural plant that grows? Is it ok ONLY if you have glaucoma or is there a line drawn there too? 

I realize that this is a serious can of worms because all medications are "drugs" so how do we draw the line.

Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2009, 09:32:49 AM »
Do you feel that if prohibition was a success and made it until today that Christians who currently see no problem with it would have a different view towards alcohol and possibly put in the same category as other drugs?

Marijuana medically helps with glaucoma, so why does the church still label it as bad if it has "medical benefits" and it is a natural plant that grows? Is it ok ONLY if you have glaucoma or is there a line drawn there too? 

I realize that this is a serious can of worms because all medications are "drugs" so how do we draw the line.

-J

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2009, 09:34:56 AM »
LOL!! 

I admit that my views on alcohol vs. drugs are tied to the fact that alcohol is legal and drugs are not. As to why the church labels things the way they do, that is a can of worms indeed. My pastor doesn't like women preachers or praise dancing. So much of how we label things is a function of jaded thinking and whoever is leading that particular flock.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2009, 09:47:29 AM »
hey, now u crossin the line here buddy! u cant keep coming on here saying offensive stuff! lol

but im gonna say this. we know what these drugs and even alcohol does to people. Everyday we thank God for being in our right mind, so why would we even want to take things that puts us out of it? For people who dont know any better, are babies in Christ, and those who want deliverance from these things may have to take it one step at a time. But for those of us who know, have been delivered, were never bound by such things......u know.

as for the "being deceived" as jeremy mentioned earlier, these things can often lead to dependency. and thats NOT what God wants. being dependent on drugs for medical reasons prevents ur body from naturally fighting it. dependence on drugs for psychological, mental, emotional reasons prevents you from mentally and spiritually fighting it. all of which God has made us to handle.

So say for a little drink which some may find nothing wrong with (i hate it, but due to family issues with alcohol im intentionally biased. The deception comes into play when it becomes "im stressed. Do i have a drink to relieve some stress or do i talk to God and relieve some stress?" or "i wanna have a good time. Do i have a drink and get that feel good buzz or do i find joy in the things of God?" When you find yourself having to choose, or even making that comparison to put them on the same level, you've been deceived.

For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2009, 09:52:21 AM »
for those of you who feel that you can do things in "moderation" with the term moderation being the key, do you also believe that this applies to things such as marijuana, meth, and or coke?

Where do you guys draw the line with things that are hazardous to your body? 

Jeremy,

You are comparing things that have SOME positive benefit in moderation to things that have NO apparent positive benefits, at least as used.  A glass of wine a day has been shown to reduce the amount of plaque in the arteries and thereby reduce the incidence of heart disease.  The medicinal benefits of marijuana are still up for debate but are AT BEST a remedial benefit (you already have a problem and it helps manage it) versus the preventive benefits of wine.

Similar with methamphetamines, NOT in the crystal form and cocaine, not in crack or nose powder form.

So a lot of the evils of the product are buried in the human failings of how they are used and abused.

Things used correctly and in moderation are not by and of themselves bad.
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2009, 10:04:19 AM »
I know i have no right to be in the bass room... lol.. but, i have a right to my opinion and yall gon geddit! LOL!

Honestly, as enticing as singing and playing "wordly music" as my church calls it, I would not do it! I would not waste nor share ANY of my talent (not that i'm some great, talented chick, but ya know...) on the world. Yes, the pay is better and the face time can benefit the career of a 'professional' musician... but why take something the Lord gave you and give it back to the world?

The bible does say, "what does it profit a man to gain the WHOLE world, and loose his soul." Playing for secular, wordly, ungodly (whatever you wanna call it) artists is nothing but trying to gain the world... and in the end, what did it profit you? a few extra hundred dollars that you could have sat at a desk or fried some chicken for?! It aint worth it! The bible also says, "How can two walk together except they agree." which would lead me to question the Life lived by the "christian."

Why would you want to take you and your sanctified self to play for an artist that does not serve the same God you do... Yes, everyone is a Christian, everyone "loves God" but not everyone is serving Him.. not everyone knows Jesus to be their savior. Whether they are "devil worshiping" or not, you know the type of tree by the fruit it bears... I'll choose the tight life NOW and walk too holy rather than live a loose life now and not make it to Heaven later... i'd rather do too much than not enough.

But i'm not trying to tell anyone what to do... lol... not tryna be bossy and stuff... I'm just giving opinion; and sorry it was sooooooooooooo long! lol  :-*

So I guess weddings are off the radar for you? BTW, I'm playing at a wedding this weekend!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2009, 10:13:20 AM »

So I guess weddings are off the radar for you? BTW, I'm playing at a wedding this weekend!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

I played one in August. The song list? Here And Now, Sweet Love, Ribbon In The Sky, Jesus You're The Center of my Joy, The Prayer, Jesus Is Love.

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2009, 10:22:25 AM »
My wife has asked me to play to her, and she's doesn't want to hear gospel music.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2009, 10:43:55 AM »
Man out of the loop for a day, far behind the conversation.

Okay I caught up as best I could, so forgive me if I repeat somethings.

I love the fact that the dialog has remained Civil and that Scripture has been utilized.

I wanted to add to the conversation.  The BIBLE makes a distinction between WINE & "Strong Drink"
Most time when people talk about Drinking they are not speaking of a bottle of Pinot Noir, they are
at the bar ordering Long Island Ice Tea's LOL!  So I can see how one would make the argument that Wine
in moderation is okay.  I reserve judgement on the matter of Wine.  But Strong Drink on the other hand,
believers shouldn't be drinking the strong stuff.  It's primary purpose is to get you drunk.

Someone mentioned the case of Paul writing to Timothy and I think that's a perfect scripture to point to.
Paul said "Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities."
1 Timothy 5:23 Obviously Paul was speaking about drinking wine because of an ailment Timothy had.  Not because
Timothy was hanging with friends and wanted to get a "slight" buzz.

I also believe that if you feel the liberty to drink wine, you shouldn't put it out there for other believers
who think you ought not to stumble. 

Romans 14:21
It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby * * thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

--------
FenderJazzMan,

You know I love ya to the end br'er.  But I have to disagree in that it's not our job, to point out another brother's area of weakness.

My Charge when I was licensed as a Preacher came from 2 Timothy 4 - Amplified.

1I CHARGE [you] in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, Who is to judge the living and the dead, and by (in the light of) His coming and His kingdom:
    2Herald and preach the Word! Keep your sense of urgency [stand by, be at hand and ready], whether the opportunity seems to be favorable or unfavorable. [Whether it is convenient or inconvenient, whether it is welcome or unwelcome, you as preacher of the Word are to show people in what way their lives are wrong.] And convince them, rebuking and correcting, warning and urging and encouraging them, being unflagging and inexhaustible in patience and teaching.

3For the time is coming when [people] will not tolerate (endure) sound and wholesome instruction, but, having ears itching [for something pleasing and gratifying], they will gather to themselves one teacher after another to a considerable number, chosen to satisfy their own liking and to foster the errors they hold,
-----------------------------------------
The Holy Spirit will convict, but God also sent the 5 Fold for the edification of the body of Christ.
Now I understand that this needs to be done in LOVE, but I can't shrink back when I see a brother who claims to be a believer walking in sin, I pray, and I ask for wisdom of how to address the issue.  Floaded is right in that alot of times people miss how to do things in alignment with how the Church established order.

Offline MyVirtue

• LGM Member
  • Blue Tears; P!nk Dreams"
    • YouTube

« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2009, 10:53:18 AM »

-J

OK.... that's NAAAAAAAAAAAstEEEEEEEE!!! i just tasted my dinner from Christmas 1999!!!!!!!!!!
Enchanted Living!! I'm living in a kind of daydream; I'm happy as a queen!

Offline MyVirtue

• LGM Member
    • YouTube

« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2009, 10:56:56 AM »

LOL!!! no, i have actually sang a secular song "Ave Maria" by Beyonce, at a wedding a few weeks ago... but I'm saying i would not further a career in secular music... and get paid and become a double platinum artists in the R&B industry. I'm sure you're thinking, she's contradicting herslef"... but i'm saying i would not make a habit of singing/performing in the secular industry.  I'm SOLED OUT FOR JESUS lol!!!

Offline FenderJazzGuy

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass players and other musicians

« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2009, 11:09:23 AM »

FenderJazzMan,

You know I love ya to the end br'er.  But I have to disagree in that it's not our job, to point out another brother's area of weakness.

I agree with you Torch but what I was talking are people who set out to point out someone's sins everytime they see someone. Im talking about the "Brow Beaters". The ones who come off like they are passing judgement. The ones who don't excersize  the same grace, mercy and forgiveness that was given them.

I had a friend who was cheating on his wife. When I found out I just let him know I was aware and that he had a decision to make. It was a good conversation but everytime I saw him I didnt feel the need to bring it up all the time. He knew I was aware which made him accountable.

I just don't care for people who push their issues onto others. Everyone has their own tolerance level for their surroundings.

Im definitely not a believer in turning a deaf ear to sin.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2009, 11:56:50 AM »

a lot of the evils of the product are buried in the human failings of how they are used and abused.

Things used correctly and in moderation are not by and of themselves bad.

interesting point.

I'm still a bit skewed on the acceptance of one before the other mainly because one is a plant that grows typically without any aid from man (LOL!) and the other needs to be concocted in order to be made potent.

I think it's interesting that some of our (our meaning christian, not one denomination) are based solely off of what is "legal" and what is "illegal" or it's usage.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2009, 12:29:23 PM »
I think it's interesting that some of our (our meaning christian, not one denomination) are based solely off of what is "legal" and what is "illegal" or it's usage.
to quote a well known poster:

lol.

i get what u saying though. but the majority of the world is like that. some things have to specifically be made illegal because people dont have the sense to know its wrong independent of that. i guess thats why we are a "peculiar people" because the law isnt our sole guide of our morality.

now its not illegal to, lets say, tell someone a few choice words about themselves and because its not, people go right ahead and do such. but we are to operate in love and build one another up and not tear down, because thats the right thing to do.

Right and wrong doesnt = legal and illegal, respectively. however a good portion does fall into the correct category and i think christians agree that it goes beyond that even as we respect the law. where the dispute comes in at is which things in the legal category fall under the "wrong" umbrella.

My wife has asked me to play to her, and she's doesn't want to hear gospel music.

you better tell her ur a church musician and play that 1-4-5 progression like u love her. and when things get really steamy, go into a shout run. word on the grapevine is that preaching chords in Ab really gets the ladies going. lol.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2009, 12:33:14 PM »
you better tell her ur a church musician and play that 1-4-5 progression like u love her. and when things get really steamy, go into a shout run. word on the grapevine is that preaching chords in Ab really gets the ladies going. lol.

Dude I almost fell out of my chair when I read this ;D ;D ;D!!!!!!!

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2009, 12:37:18 PM »
LOL!!! no, i have actually sang a secular song "Ave Maria" by Beyonce, at a wedding a few weeks ago... but I'm saying i would not further a career in secular music... and get paid and become a double platinum artists in the R&B industry. I'm sure you're thinking, she's contradicting herslef"... but i'm saying i would not make a habit of singing/performing in the secular industry.  I'm SOLED OUT FOR JESUS lol!!!

Ummmm.....Ave Maria is not at all secular. Its about the Virgin Mary(Mother of Jesus).  Second of all...Not by Beyonce. That song was composed by Josquin des Prez in the 1480's. Ave Maria translates Hail Mary.
you got to hear numbers

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2009, 12:46:37 PM »
Dude I almost fell out of my chair when I read this ;D ;D ;D!!!!!!!

ME TO!!! lol!

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2009, 01:24:13 PM »

Throughout civilized history, we have tried to "legislate" morality. Murder is a crime, so is theft. Two of the Ten Commandments. Our tax system favors married couples over single people because marriage is held in high moral regard. Prohibition was an unsuccessful attempt at addressing the consumption of alcohol, we even in that we legislate how old you must be to legally consume it.

Offline MyVirtue

• LGM Member
    • YouTube

« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2009, 01:42:01 PM »
Ummmm.....Ave Maria is not at all secular. Its about the Virgin Mary(Mother of Jesus).  Second of all...Not by Beyonce. That song was composed by Josquin des Prez in the 1480's. Ave Maria translates Hail Mary.

I sang the Beyonce verzion of the song.. i suppose it's on on  of her cd's.

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2009, 04:20:38 PM »

So when Beyonce sang it on TV showing off the hips with that crazy outift, she actually sexied up a spiritual/sacred song?
When you've done your very best, do even better.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up