LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Gospel musicians playing secular music  (Read 32433 times)

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

Re: Gospel musicians playing secular music
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2009, 05:14:37 PM »
yup
you got to hear numbers

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2009, 11:55:14 PM »
So when Beyonce sang it on TV showing off the hips with that crazy outift, she actually sexied up a spiritual/sacred song?

Y-to-the-es!!!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2009, 06:58:30 AM »
I dont have the energy to go into another of these lol.  Yet, to address a lil bit:

You know what? sometimes it is our job.  Some ppl arent convicted by premarital sex or gossip, but is it not our job to address it?  A liquor store?  Seriously?  Mind you there are many Christians that dont have the Holy Ghost.  Just throwin that out there.

Why was this post SO funny to me?  :D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2009, 07:17:58 AM »
Although i don't drink alcohol, I sure steam my shrimp with it though, along with some butter, old bay seasoning, and dried herbs. ;D ;D ;D For the ones who don't cook, the alcohol gets cooked off, so just flavor is left, not the alcohol. I will say this though, for medicinal purposes, alcohol does have some good qualities. My great grandmother lived to be in her 90s and had a shot of alcohol a day. She said it kept her body cleaned out. Right now in my cabinet is a mixture of moonshine, honey and grapes that my wife's grandmother gave to us to use as cough syrup. That stuff really works. One table spoon before going to bed, and when you wake up, you're not coughing anymore.

It's the honey, doc. It's a natural expectorant (been taking it myself daily, lately; it's brought back the Bass in my voice).

Although honey and some Everclear........? ;D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2009, 07:38:45 AM »
I actually did some research and the ave maria thats on her cd is an original song.  She just randomly says ave maria in the chorus. It has nothing to do with the song. its just there. Its not a gospel song. Its not even "inspirational".  The version she sang on the BET awards is the original though. That actually was a sacred song.
you got to hear numbers

Offline MyVirtue

• LGM Member
  • Blue Tears; P!nk Dreams"
    • YouTube

« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2009, 07:56:35 AM »
I actually did some research and the ave maria thats on her cd is an original song.  She just randomly says ave maria in the chorus. It has nothing to do with the song. its just there. Its not a gospel song. Its not even "inspirational".  The version she sang on the BET awards is the original though. That actually was a sacred song.

Right... the song on the CD actually made no sense!!! I hated singing it... it's hard to get into a song you cant understand... Picture this, Sicilly, 1924 (LOL) seriously, the words are have nothing to do with Ave Maria, which, translated to English means, Hail Mary. Why would a girl that finds heaven on earth (her man i suppose) say Hail Mary... I guess the girl is Catholic... IDK.. I thought Beyonce was Methodist... so why is she hailing Mary? IDK...
Enchanted Living!! I'm living in a kind of daydream; I'm happy as a queen!

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2009, 07:59:21 AM »
It's the honey, doc. It's a natural expectorant (been taking it myself daily, lately; it's brought back the Bass in my voice).

Although honey and some Everclear........? ;D

I tried to make my own cough syrup with everclear, didn't work. Maybe its my age, and I have no experience with making it, but I'll call up the seasoned folks and they'll hook it right up. ;D
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2009, 08:00:54 AM »
Just to pose another question, if everyone on this earth were mute, and couldn't speak but could hear music, would we have various genres of music? That means, no lyrics to the music. :o

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2009, 08:10:16 AM »
people would start signing to music.  :o :o He signs so beautifully. Then you would really need front rows seats at a concert. Choirs wouldn't work though. They'd always be hitting each other.
you got to hear numbers

Offline MyVirtue

• LGM Member
    • YouTube

« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2009, 08:11:06 AM »
Just to pose another question, if everyone on this earth were mute, and couldn't speak but could hear music, would we have various genres of music? That means, no lyrics to the music. :o

Good question!!!!!! IDK... Music is the Universal Language so...... Multicultural patrons and American patrons would not have the "common ground" we have now.. you can go to Japan and say Beyonce and the Japanese would know WHAT and WHO you are talking about. LOL

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2009, 08:19:14 AM »
Good question!!!!!! IDK... Music is the Universal Language so...... Multicultural patrons and American patrons would not have the "common ground" we have now.. you can go to Japan and say Beyonce and the Japanese would know WHAT and WHO you are talking about. LOL

Why no common ground? Beyonce wouldn't exist as she does in the main stream today. We would be mute, so know one would ask who we are talking about.

people would start signing to music.  :o :o He signs so beautifully. Then you would really need front rows seats at a concert. Choirs wouldn't work though. They'd always be hitting each other.

;D ;D ;D

Offline MyVirtue

• LGM Member
    • YouTube

« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2009, 08:33:30 AM »
Why no common ground? Beyonce wouldn't exist as she does in the main stream today. We would be mute, so know one would ask who we are talking about.

True... I was saying right now we have common ground, but if there were no music, there would not be much common ground

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2009, 08:47:42 AM »
Right... the song on the CD actually made no sense!!! I hated singing it... it's hard to get into a song you cant understand... Picture this, Sicilly, 1924 (LOL) seriously, the words are have nothing to do with Ave Maria, which, translated to English means, Hail Mary. Why would a girl that finds heaven on earth (her man i suppose) say Hail Mary... I guess the girl is Catholic... IDK.. I thought Beyonce was Methodist... so why is she hailing Mary? IDK...

Regarding the bold blue.....stab in the dark....

I seem to recall reporting of a miracle in Italy where a young girl claimed she was visited by the Virgin Mary.  Could that have been in 1924 and therefore the reference for the Beyonce' song?  I'll have to check that out.

A quick wiki check tells me that I'm off by 7 years, a country, and 2 kids :D  It was reported that in 1917 ,a vision of the Virgin Mary appeared to three children in Fatima, Portugal

FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2009, 08:48:18 AM »
True... I was saying right now we have common ground, but if there were no music, there would not be much common ground

There would still be music, just no lyrics. I asked my question because, if we take away the lyrics from so called "secular" music, is it still considered "secular?" The same for everyother genre.

Offline MyVirtue

• LGM Member
    • YouTube

« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2009, 08:55:58 AM »
Regarding the bold blue.....stab in the dark....

I seem to recall reporting of a miracle in Italy where a young girl claimed she was visited by the Virgin Mary.  Could that have been in 1924 and therefore the reference for the Beyonce' song?  I'll have to check that out.

OMG.. R U SERIOUS? if you are..... LOL.. I am SOOOOOO cracking up right now!!! You must not watch the Golden Girls... LOL... i was just being silly with the "1924"...

BUT... I doubt that chile was visited by anyone other than a demon! LOL... Mary is up in Heaven, not tryna visit an Earthling!!! I know if i were in Heaven, I would not come back here for nothing! lol. And, Miracles are only carried out by God through Jesus

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2009, 08:56:24 AM »
Various patterns and movements would eventually define the style.

Such as the 1-4-5 which is common in gospel songs. When a person would hear that then they would know what type of music it is. There fore secular music and gospel could possibly still stay separated.

Or worse there would be no music in the church ... I don't wanna think about such a thought.

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2009, 09:10:18 AM »
Various patterns and movements would eventually define the style.

Such as the 1-4-5 which is common in gospel songs. When a person would hear that then they would know what type of music it is. There fore secular music and gospel could possibly still stay separated.

Or worse there would be no music in the church ... I don't wanna think about such a thought.

1-4-5 is also in what we consider blues. :-\

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2009, 09:14:18 AM »
I used to have this belief that I would only play gospel music until I went to college and began to take music classes. One class in particular, world music, open my eyes and thoughts to look outside the box. I realized that we put labels on music only because of lyrics. I used to think that the sitar sounded terrible until I began to listen to music that incorporated this instrument. In this class is where I began to think outside the box and not limit myself to just one style, (i didn't use genre for a specific reason) but to appreciate all forms of music. There are some styles that I just will not listen to, but I appreciate to craft of these individuals.

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2009, 09:20:16 AM »
Thats what im going through now in my music history class. I learned alot about music since i started this class. The class forces you to leave your box and open your mind.
you got to hear numbers

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2009, 09:24:54 AM »
Thats what im going through now in my music history class. I learned alot about music since i started this class. The class forces you to leave your box and open your mind.

You'll appreciate music a whole lot more when you're finished with the class.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Up