LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Gospel musicians playing secular music  (Read 32646 times)

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

Re: Gospel musicians playing secular music
« Reply #140 on: October 12, 2009, 08:25:02 PM »
... IM LOST!!!

There's a map for that!!!!
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline blacklw234

• LGM Member

« Reply #141 on: October 12, 2009, 11:05:36 PM »
Wow!!!!! this thread went from who's the best player in the NBA to What golf clubs do you use....lol...lol. Completely migrated. Good discussions though...
I play a LTD ESP C-305 Bass

Offline mark.wise

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2009, 07:45:18 AM »
My little brother, i would like for you to read Daniel the 3rd chapter and tell me why these three Hebrew boys were thrown into the fiery furnace.

I have been a member of LGM for some years and i have never posted ANYTHING, however when i read something like this it is disturbing. My brother, it is NEVER good to mix bitter with sweet.....

There is a reason why lots wife turned into a pillar of salt when she looked backed into Sodom or the club!!!!!!!

I am not rebuking you, i am trying to encourage you, please do not open that door b/c that is not good.

People always say what they think about a situation, what does the BIBLE says about darkness!!!!

I am a Bass player and have been playing for about seven years and not once have i had the mind to play in a environment that's not conducive for me.

God Bless,
Min. Wise

Offline MyVirtue

• LGM Member
  • Blue Tears; P!nk Dreams"
    • YouTube

« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2009, 07:54:23 AM »
My little brother, i would like for you to read Daniel the 3rd chapter and tell me why these three Hebrew boys were thrown into the fiery furnace.

God Bless,
Min. Wise

That is deep... i never thought to relate that scripture to secular music and christians... my Lord.. thank you for that!!!!
Enchanted Living!! I'm living in a kind of daydream; I'm happy as a queen!

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2009, 09:29:27 AM »
I am not rebuking you, i am trying to encourage you, please do not open that door b/c that is not good.

Not every secular door leads to a bad situation. Let's all look at it from this stand point. If the original poster went and played at a tasteful secular gig, ie. jazz luncheon, he may have to opportunity to witness the word of God to a lost soul. So, this is my final statement in regards to playing "secular" music, I'm going to view every opportunity that I play as an opportunity to 1) be a witness for God 2) broaden my musical talent by learning other styles. I'm through with this topic.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline FenderJazzGuy

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass players and other musicians

« Reply #145 on: October 13, 2009, 10:34:53 AM »

I am a Bass player and have been playing for about seven years and not once have i had the mind to play in a environment that's not conducive for me.

Im not sure where playing at a club came into this. I was more talking about playing in a non-church service setting. This post was geared towards a Christian musician who plays music as a profession. There are plenty of Christian ,professional bass players who do not just play in a Christian setting. I do not feel that their Christian walk is jeopardized.

John Patittuci is one of those musicians. He IS a Christian. If you have ever seen his videos or see his live performances, he ALWAYS acknowledges God. Majority of his CD's have Christian based songs on them. Yet we see him share the stage with secular artists all the time. Do you feel he's wrong for that? I have never seen him display any questionable behavior. He's representing the Kingdom in what he does.

Let's just say you have a person who is a EMT. One night his unit gets a call for a heart attack victim. When his unit arrives, he (who is a believer) finds out the victim is actually in a night club. Would you look at it and say that it's ok because he is only going in to do his job and leave? As a EMT should he only take calls that are in a Christian setting?

I just think its somewhat odd that as a Christian musician, most people feel that we should limit where we play. But if I were an electrician, It's ok to go into a night club to get paid for fixing a shorted out light switch.

Some people will say that there are spirits carried in certain music (which I also believe). If you look at it, you can say that about anything. Spirits can be carried in an object, persons ,buildings ,etc. For example, some churches operate in the spirit of manipulation just to raise an offering. They always use a story to compel people to give instead of relying on the word to let people know that blessings are scattered all through the Bible that state you will be blessed for your sacrifices through money, praise, time, etc. Its just like how the people in those "Feed the Children" infomercials show you broke down pictures of children just to compel you to send money. Not ALL churches practice this but SOME do. (Excuse my sidebar)

I once heard a preacher say that as a Church musician, our instruments are sacred. He also said that If we ARE a musician who plays music for a living, we should have an instrument that is reserved only for the Kingdom. "Don't bring an instrument into a service that is used for non church services".

All these responses are opinion based. Yes some people have scriptures to back their opinion but everyone's walk will be judged individually and not as a whole. Let's not turn this into one not being more spiritual than another. Its all about choices. God has given us the ability to make choices from the beginning of time. He doesn't even force salvation on us. It's up to us to decide if we want to live for Him or not.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #146 on: October 13, 2009, 10:44:28 AM »
Im not sure where playing at a club came into this. I was more talking about playing in a non-church service setting. This post was geared towards a Christian musician who plays music as a profession. There are plenty of Christian ,professional bass players who do not just play in a Christian setting. I do not feel that their Christian walk is jeopardized.

John Patittuci is one of those musicians. He IS a Christian. If you have ever seen his videos or see his live performances, he ALWAYS acknowledges God. Majority of his CD's have Christian based songs on them. Yet we see him share the stage with secular artists all the time. Do you feel he's wrong for that? I have never seen him display any questionable behavior. He's representing the Kingdom in what he does.

Let's just say you have a person who is a EMT. One night his unit gets a call for a heart attack victim. When his unit arrives, he (who is a believer) finds out the victim is actually in a night club. Would you look at it and say that it's ok because he is only going in to do his job and leave? As a EMT should he only take calls that are in a Christian setting?

I just think its somewhat odd that as a Christian musician, most people feel that we should limit where we play. But if I were an electrician, It's ok to go into a night club to get paid for fixing a shorted out light switch.

Some people will say that there are spirits carried in certain music (which I also believe). If you look at it, you can say that about anything. Spirits can be carried in an object, persons ,buildings ,etc. For example, some churches operate in the spirit of manipulation just to raise an offering. They always use a story to compel people to give instead of relying on the word to let people know that blessings are scattered all through the Bible that state you will be blessed for your sacrifices through money, praise, time, etc. Its just like how the people in those "Feed the Children" infomercials show you broke down pictures of children just to compel you to send money. Not ALL churches practice this but SOME do. (Excuse my sidebar)

I once heard a preacher say that as a Church musician, our instruments are sacred. He also said that If we ARE a musician who plays music for a living, we should have an instrument that is reserved only for the Kingdom. "Don't bring an instrument into a service that is used for non church services".

All these responses are opinion based. Yes some people have scriptures to back their opinion but everyone's walk will be judged individually and not as a whole. Let's not turn this into one not being more spiritual than another. Its all about choices. God has given us the ability to make choices from the beginning of time. He doesn't even force salvation on us. It's up to us to decide if we want to live for Him or not.

I agree. But I dont see the point in arguing this, as I dont think "church folks" will ever get it.

When it comes to my actions I am held accountable to God, not a bunch of church people who just wanna be in my business

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2009, 11:31:26 AM »
and the topic comes full circle.

u know, there's some folk who would say you helpin them sin by fixing their lights. seriously.

I think when people are trying to prove a point, as well as when they just dont fully understand, they go to the opposite extreme. So when you ask is it ok to play secular music they interpret that as you trying to go on tour with JayZ or 50. Not thinking at all about the jazz band that plays at the restuarant the pastor takes his family to on saturday night. or at the company fundraiser event that plays non offensive music, but not gospel as to take into consideration all employees beliefs (as well as avoid a lawsuit).

Has anyone watched Jimmy Fallon since he has the Roots as his house band? Nothing gospel there, but talented guys playing clean fun music. So someone would say an environment like that is wrong for a christian? A house band for a talk show? nothin but the devil there. (add 1tbsp of sarcasm. stir.)

But its always funny how this argument only applies to music. We'll watch a variety of things on TV, go to many different places on the internet, do different things and go different places on or jobs, but when it comes to music: gospel only!

Everyone has their limits and certain things/places/people should be off limits, but I just say if ur THAT corruptible, you should already be corrupted from your job, tv, and internet, among all the other things in your life.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline BassbyGrace

• LGM Member
  • striving

« Reply #148 on: October 13, 2009, 11:34:36 AM »
and the topic comes full circle.

u know, there's some folk who would say you helpin them sin by fixing their lights. seriously.

I think when people are trying to prove a point, as well as when they just dont fully understand, they go to the opposite extreme. So when you ask is it ok to play secular music they interpret that as you trying to go on tour with JayZ or 50. Not thinking at all about the jazz band that plays at the restuarant the pastor takes his family to on saturday night. or at the company fundraiser event that plays non offensive music, but not gospel as to take into consideration all employees beliefs (as well as avoid a lawsuit).

Has anyone watched Jimmy Fallon since he has the Roots as his house band? Nothing gospel there, but talented guys playing clean fun music. So someone would say an environment like that is wrong for a christian? A house band for a talk show? nothin but the devil there. (add 1tbsp of sarcasm. stir.)

But its always funny how this argument only applies to music. We'll watch a variety of things on TV, go to many different places on the internet, do different things and go different places on or jobs, but when it comes to music: gospel only!

Everyone has their limits and certain things/places/people should be off limits, but I just say if ur THAT corruptible, you should already be corrupted from your job, tv, and internet, among all the other things in your life.

[/thread]
Praise Him!

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #149 on: October 13, 2009, 11:52:37 AM »
That is deep... i never thought to relate that scripture to secular music and christians... my Lord.. thank you for that!!!!

This is slightly off topic (like this entire thread. lol) but is the bass in your avatar a Schecter Studio-5? I have one and they are marvelous basses to play.

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #150 on: October 13, 2009, 12:06:03 PM »
Thats what it looked like to me.  Them schectors are kinda pricey.
you got to hear numbers

Offline MyVirtue

• LGM Member
  • Blue Tears; P!nk Dreams"
    • YouTube

« Reply #151 on: October 13, 2009, 12:29:37 PM »
This is slightly off topic (like this entire thread. lol) but is the bass in your avatar a Schecter Studio-5? I have one and they are marvelous basses to play.

Thats what it looked like to me.  Them schectors are kinda pricey.

Wel guys...  IDK what it is... it's my brother's he is Stix_clgi if you wanna look him up to ask. lol. we had a shed session with some LGMers and i held it for him while he played the drums. We call it the Red Heiffer so IDK if it's a Schecter!!!  ;D
Enchanted Living!! I'm living in a kind of daydream; I'm happy as a queen!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #152 on: October 13, 2009, 12:36:13 PM »

Yup. Nobody ever picks on the graphic artist and photographers and such

Here is her brother playing it, along with Bassbygrace on Sousaphone, CSedwards on the Fantom, LordLuvr on synth....oh and me attempting to hang with them :D

Offline Jmack

• LGM Member

« Reply #153 on: October 13, 2009, 02:02:25 PM »
Im not sure where playing at a club came into this. I was more talking about playing in a non-church service setting. This post was geared towards a Christian musician who plays music as a profession.

actually, the question referred to "gospel musicians" playing "secular music".

Luke 16:13 
No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

since this is a public forum and he asked for personal opinions, here's mine. if you are questioning it, then you must have some reservations about it already. i know some people say do what is in your heart to do, but sometimes our heart isn't in the right place. God says seek ye first the kingdom of God...if playing music for Him is what's in your heart, He will provide an opportunity for that. but back to the topic. i say if you're a gospel musician, you play gospel music. otherwise, you're just a musician.
"Make a joyful noise unto the world"

Offline Jmack

• LGM Member

« Reply #154 on: October 13, 2009, 02:03:59 PM »
haven't quite gotten the whole "quote" thing down.
"Make a joyful noise unto the world"

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #155 on: October 13, 2009, 02:22:49 PM »

actually, the question referred to "gospel musicians" playing "secular music".

Luke 16:13 
No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

I think you guys are stretching by using that verse. You cant lump all musicians who choose to play secular into such a category, Not everybody is doing this for the love of money.

I really cant believe some of yall are serious

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #156 on: October 13, 2009, 02:31:23 PM »
I wonder if we will be discussing this in heaven. lol
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #157 on: October 13, 2009, 02:48:44 PM »
I always hoped that in heaven God has question and answer sessions. So that we can clear up alot of stuff.
you got to hear numbers

Offline BigFoot_BigThumb

• LGM Member
  • The Waves SSL 4000 plug-ins. The greatest EVER!!!

« Reply #158 on: October 13, 2009, 03:06:02 PM »
8 pages huh?  So has there been any kind of resolve or mutual understanding reached that some of us are going to play other forms of music, or are we going to keep going on

Of course this will not be the last thread on this topic.

When you've done your very best, do even better.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #159 on: October 13, 2009, 03:14:23 PM »
I think you guys are stretching by using that verse. You cant lump all musicians who choose to play secular into such a category, Not everybody is doing this for the love of money.

I really cant believe some of yall are serious

Just a quick point.

Serving two masters doesn't have to be "for the love of".  The bible clearly states that anything that is done that does not please God is against him.  

So lets take both sides of hte argument into point.  We don't know what the musician is thinking about or feeling when they're playing jazz or regular R&B, so as long as it isn't something that is not of God is of Satan.  So therefore we can't say much unless we know a persons heart on some of the songs that may initially seem harmless.
Somebody put me in the key of E#
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Up