LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Gospel musicians playing secular music  (Read 32447 times)

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

Re: Gospel musicians playing secular music
« Reply #260 on: January 11, 2010, 11:54:46 PM »
Never seen 'Facing the Giants'?

I equate it to what one does on their secular job to honor God. *kanyeshrug*

I've seen the movie, however I don't see how he's witnessing to others on a football field. 

Honestly I don't know how you could lift up God playing ANY sport.  Granted you can live a Christian life and be an example, but as far as witnessing in your playing....i don't see how that will ever happen.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2010, 12:14:42 AM »
I've seen the movie, however I don't see how he's witnessing to others on a football field. 

Honestly I don't know how you could lift up God playing ANY sport.  Granted you can live a Christian life and be an example, but as far as witnessing in your playing....i don't see how that will ever happen.

i dont see that with a lot of jobs. Unless i set up a website for a church or gospel artist, im not sure how my programming is witnessing and such. I think what it means that as we do what we do, we maintain the character and humility we should have as being Christians. In that respect, I think any high profile public job (sports, celebrity, politician) makes that simple thing that more prominent due to the visible contrasting lifestyles that are all too common.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #262 on: January 12, 2010, 06:31:02 AM »

i dont see that with a lot of jobs. Unless i set up a website for a church or gospel artist, im not sure how my programming is witnessing and such. I think what it means that as we do what we do, we maintain the character and humility we should have as being Christians. In that respect, I think any high profile public job (sports, celebrity, politician) makes that simple thing that more prominent due to the visible contrasting lifestyles that are all too common.

This.

I think the question becomes: When we witness do we have to use words?

Just a thought.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #263 on: January 12, 2010, 07:43:42 AM »
Witnessing does not have to deal with just speaking about God. Actions speak louder than words do. For the mute person who can't speak, he/she can witness just as effectively as the person who can speak. As far as Tebow with the black eye patches and having a scripture on them, if one person who is watching the game sees the patch and reads that particular bible verse, Tebow has witnessed to them. Yes, he is playing a brutal sport, and it may not glorify God, but we can't hear what he is saying to his teammates in the locker rooms, to his opponents before, during, and after the games. He can be witnessing while on the field. If I'm not mistaken, I read that Reggie White witnessed on the field all the time.

I'm going to try to leave this topic alone with this final thought, (hopefully). Years ago the youth at my church and I included, performed a praise dance at a church in our home town during a conference. Their was a bishop there who didn't agree with what we were doing. Needless, to say he said some things that bothered us and we addressed it with our Pastor. These were her exact words, "God's principles don't change, but the procedure does." So, it made sense to us. As I look back over my life and think about what she said, it's true. 30 years ago, we couldn't communicate via the internet as we are today but God's word is the same as it was 30 years ago. When we would send letters via the mail, we now can send emails instantly. So, although using our jobs as the procedure, the principle is still the same.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #264 on: January 12, 2010, 01:55:18 PM »

You don't program in subliminal messages?  You must have not read the "Guide for Christian Developers, Second Edition"  Instead of a Hello World app, you create a "God so Loved the World" app.. LOL!

This.

I think the question becomes: When we witness do we have to use words?

Just a thought.

Sjonathan02

I would say yes and no, to that question... Here is my line of reasoning.

While our lifestyles are a testimony of what we profess, without our profession of Faith in  who and what we believe in, there is no witness.  I have met many folks who are not believers in Christ whose lives appear to be chalked full of Spiritual fruit, yet they have arrived at disciplines through other ways of living and philosophies.  The only way some will know that we are different from those ?quote unquote? Good People.  Is if we tell them who has changed our lives.  I have seen people who have been involved cults and other religions, because they were attracted to the lifestyle of someone involved in that religion.   Especially, when they are going through a tramatic, time in their life.

So yes, our lifestyle can initially, cause someone to admire or seek after what we have, but words eventually have to be introduced, hopefully sooner than later. 

Romans 10:14 ?But how can they call on him to save them unless they believe in him? And how can they believe in him if they have never heard about him? And how can they hear about him unless someone tells them?? - NLT

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #265 on: January 12, 2010, 02:29:31 PM »
You don't program in subliminal messages?  You must have not read the "Guide for Christian Developers, Second Edition"  Instead of a Hello World app, you create a "God so Loved the World" app.. LOL!

Wow, they made a lot of updates from the First Edition. Dang Amazon.com. I knew that sale price was too good to be true. lol.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #266 on: January 13, 2010, 09:02:01 AM »
When we say the gospel people always make reference to the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I don't believe we take to heart fully what we say. When we say he is resurrected we are saying he lives. As they stated earlier he lives in me. I believe everytime I do good works or give God the glory Christ is glorified. When Im asked how I hot my job I said God did it. Ofcourse I needed other things to get it but the Lord blessed me with it. Proof that he lives. I'm living right and trying to do the right thing because he lives. I believe God's favor upon your life on the job and off is a sign or a witness that he lives. My life is a witness that Jesus lives no matter where I go because if he didn't live in me I would be doing some crazy things right now.  :D
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #267 on: January 13, 2010, 10:56:05 AM »
why does everything gotta be so deep for yall?

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member

« Reply #268 on: January 13, 2010, 10:59:54 AM »
why does everything gotta be so deep for yall?
It is deep but I not trying to be deep. My posts In this thread are very lighthearted.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #269 on: January 13, 2010, 01:35:09 PM »
Mystery, I totally agree with you that every believer should live with the perspective that because HE LIVES, I do what I do.

Unfortunately, just living with that perspective isn't enough.  I live in one of the most unchurched cities in the U.S.  Where there are tons of people prospering, living the "Quote Unquote" Good Life, not out there wilding out, Getting promotions on the Job, etc, etc. that are common testimonies of believers, and we say I give God Glory because he did XYZ for me.  Well the unbelievers are getting the same stuff, and sometimes better stuff.

So to further expound on the point I was trying to make in my earlier post.  If its about tangible stuff, the world will miss it all day long, because there is no differential.  Our light and witness needs to be about the eternal, things they can't see nor understand, because they haven't been introduced to His presence.

@under13 It's not about being deep, the posts I have read on this topic are all quite surface to be perfectly honest.  Have you ever read some of the great Christian Thinkers.  Like Watchman Nee, A.W. Tozer, J.I. Packer, Bonhoeffer, Hodge, Paschal... some of the stuff written will give you a headache, its so deep.

I think these discussions would help us all grow, If we take these discussions at face value, without  taking offense when someone has opposite views.   I know listening to other perspectives, and weighing them, and analyzing them through an objective lens often helps me solidify "Why I believe, What I believe"

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member

« Reply #270 on: January 13, 2010, 02:24:56 PM »
The God conscience is big to me. I would live my life totally different if I wasn't saved there would be no going to the neighbor and apologizing. No repenting for some mistakes. I probably would be doing some devious stuff right now.  :D So I still say my life is a witness through it all. Some sinners can even accredit certain skils and gifts to God. Some people have an ability because God made a promise to your granddaddy.  :D Any saved person is a witness. Now whether your witness is good and true that's a different story.  :)

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #271 on: January 13, 2010, 03:31:48 PM »
How can anyone possibly live their life in a "Christian" manner if they don't consider their workplace sacred? The separation of work, home, and church creates a person with a split personality!

While this conversation began in response to the question made by the OP, it opens up the discussion on a subject that is far more significant: when we get saved, does that mean we have to quit our jobs, if they are not "christian" jobs? Who decides which jobs are suitable? Is God disappointed or offended if someone stays at a good job that other Christians find unacceptable?

I'm sure its been said already, but why would an accomplished musician quit their job playing "secular" music, just because they became a Christian? Think about it, are we really saying this:

You can't be a jingle writer
           You can't score tv shows or movies or plays....
           You can't play music on a cruise ship or on broadway
           You can't teach music, unless you only used Christian music
           You can't be a part of a symphony orchestra

I could go on and on. And yes, i get the whole "if it leads people into to sin, you shouldn't be a part of it". But think about this: do you really believe God is not glorified by everything, sacred or secular? He absolutely gets glory from everything! Whether someone is dunking a basketball or slapping the strings off their bass, God is still glorified! Why? Because he created everything! The instruments we play: God's creation! The cars we drive: God's creations! Without God, man could do nothing! Man has not invented a single thing on earth; he only discovered it! Just because men don't lift up Holy hands and praise Him doesn't mean God is not getting the glory anyway.

14 pages and counting. Since we are driven by this topic, let's add some subtopics:
      a. Gospel musicians who fornicate, commit adultery or perform homosexual acts
      b. Gospel Musicians who leave right after the music stops and the preaching starts
      c. Gospel Musicians who don't ever offer a portion of their increase.
      d. Gospel Musicians who don't show up and don't call, because they think they should get paid more.
      e. Gospel Musicians who criticize other musicians because of the way they play
      f. Gospel Musicians who criticize other musicians for the instruments they play
      g. Gospel Musicians who think they get people saved (if your nor sure, read 1 Cor 15:1-4

Or we could just add one subtopic: how everything that happens on earth will somehow, someway bring God glory, even when we can't see how.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #272 on: January 13, 2010, 04:03:59 PM »
      g. Gospel Musicians who think they get people saved (if your nor sure, read 1 Cor 15:1-4

I was with you until here. Care to elaborate?

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member

« Reply #273 on: January 13, 2010, 04:05:46 PM »
Dude you a writer or something? lol Im wondering why you structure your posts the way you do.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member

« Reply #274 on: January 13, 2010, 04:31:42 PM »
Giving God Glory is a conscious effort that must be made. 

This is why God "commands" His people to give Him Glory.

In the book of Romans it is quite clear that many will see HIS Creation, and yet not glorify Him, instead they will glorify the things he created.   That is evident in our society, people put a higher premium on so many other things, and not the One true God.

Romans 1:20 - 25
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

This post has sorta rabbit triled a little bit, which good discussions usually do, but I think the latest turn has us at a place where it's not  only about  Secular vs. Church Music, but about witnessing with our lives.  The latter is what my latest comments have been about.  So for the record, I am stating "The only way that you can get away from all things secular is, to die."

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #275 on: January 13, 2010, 04:44:36 PM »
I was with you until here. Care to elaborate?

Music doesn't save people. It may attract their attention and soothe their soul, but it doesn't save them.

Just ask Saul.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #276 on: January 13, 2010, 04:48:51 PM »
Music doesn't save people. It may attract their attention and soothe their soul, but it doesn't save them.

Just ask Saul.

What about the Gospel message in the music? Are you guys saying that someone cant get saved by being ministered to though a Gospel song?

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #277 on: January 13, 2010, 05:57:06 PM »
What about the Gospel message in the music? Are you guys saying that someone cant get saved by being ministered to though a Gospel song?

I think the message and the ministry can lead you to a place where you might (and I am paraphrasing a little) confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus Christ, and believe that God raised Him from the dead, which to my understanding is the means through which we are saved.

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #278 on: January 13, 2010, 06:05:48 PM »
1Co 15:1-4  Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;  (2)  By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.  (3)  For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;  (4)  And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

So while music does not have the power to save, it does have an extremely improtant role in both the life of the believer and the body of Christ. I point you towards the greatest hymn book ever created, the Psalms. Within we find 6 key words that translate to the "praise"

Zamar, yadah, t'hillah, hallal, todah and shabach

Each of these words relate to setting the atmosphere for giving our very best praise. It's no coincidence that Psalm 150 closes the hymnal as it does:

Psa 150:1-6  Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.  (2)  Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.  (3)  Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.  (4)  Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.  (5)  Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.  (6)  Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

We are most effective when we play with this thought in mind.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #279 on: January 13, 2010, 06:20:55 PM »
1Co 15:1-4  Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;  (2)  By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.  (3)  For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;  (4)  And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

So while music does not have the power to save, it does have an extremely improtant role in both the life of the believer and the body of Christ. I point you towards the greatest hymn book ever created, the Psalms. Within we find 6 key words that translate to the "praise"

Zamar, yadah, t'hillah, hallal, todah and shabach

Each of these words relate to setting the atmosphere for giving our very best praise. It's no coincidence that Psalm 150 closes the hymnal as it does:

Psa 150:1-6  Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.  (2)  Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.  (3)  Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.  (4)  Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.  (5)  Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.  (6)  Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

We are most effective when we play with this thought in mind.

I already read the verse... I just believe that a person can minister though songs and somebody can hear the biblical words (the same words a  preacher would preach) and come to be saved. I guess you feel different, so we can agree to disagree.

I think the message and the ministry can lead you to a place where you might (and I am paraphrasing a little) confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus Christ, and believe that God raised Him from the dead, which to my understanding is the means through which we are saved.

I think I agree.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up