LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginner -> Intermediate -> Advanced Piano Players  (Read 3573 times)

Offline jgause2

• LGM Member

Beginner -> Intermediate -> Advanced Piano Players
« on: July 15, 2009, 09:35:47 PM »
Just had a random thought today.  I guess this would be a good question for Piano Teachers.

As far as Beginners, Intermediate, and Advanced players go,

1)  How much should a person know, in order to exit out of the Beginner's Level, and be classified as an "Intermediate Piano Player"?

2)  How much should a person know, in order to exit out of the Intermediate Level, and be classified as an "Advanced Piano Player"?

I would think that to be considered an Intermediate Player, one should:

- Understand the structure of scales (Major, Minor, Whole Tone, Blues, etc,.), and be able to play them.

- Understand the structure of chords (Major, Minor, Aug, Dim)

- Be able to play both in atleast 3 diff. keys.

Thats all I can think of right now.  What do you all think?
The only place where "success" comes before "work" is in the dictionary

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Re: Beginner -> Intermediate -> Advanced Piano Players
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 10:26:03 PM »
There are so many factors that play into this that make it so hard to categorize.

as for someone only knowing only 3 keys, they are still a beginner. IMO an intermediate should know at least most of the keys.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 10:37:03 PM »
     Have been thinking about this lately - many method books and educational materials are marked "early elementary" "elementary" "early intermediate" "intermediate", "intermediate advanced" "advanced" etc. In addition there are such classifications as Easy Piano, Very Easy Piano, Simple Piano, Advancing Artist, Big Note, EZ-Play, etc. Confusing, huh?

But for Gospel players the goals are different. Many church musicians don't read, and some don't know the ABCDEF letters on the keys or chord symbols. I think intermediate level for Praise keyboard players should include playing 3 and 4-note major and minor chords by ear in the most-used keys, recognizing the names of the sharp, flat and natural keys (when you say 'A' they should be able to play an A). In addition, they should be able to keep in rhythm and move smoothly between chord changes.

A more advanced player should be able to -

Play and understand slash chords (like D/E), Aug/Dim, suspended, different kinds of 7ths, 9ths, etc., and play in more extreme keys like Db and F#. Jazz training a plus in Gospel.

Be able to do different chord progressions, inversions and voicings. Be able to read the guitarist's chord chart.

Easily find the key of a song they hear, after trying a few notes. Also, transpose without using the button.

Understand the number system (Roman numerals in classical music theory, scale numbers 1-7 in Gospel)

Play with the proper rhythm and feel, don't drag or rush the tempo,and play just enough to blend in with the others in the group. That is, don't overplay, but do the bass line if there is no bass player, be able to put in solo lines and riffs but not at the same time as the guitar, horns and vocals, and do not play so complex that it confuses everybody else.

Of course if they can play and understand scales, modes, theory and read notes that gives them an advantage...

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 01:35:14 PM »
Levels are a state of mind. My advice is don't even worry about what label to call yourself. No matter how far u get, there is always more to learn. So, to me there is only one category, "Still Learning".
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline NJDBalla

• LGM Member
  • Aspiring to be better
    • Word Of Faith Apostolic Church

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 12:46:45 PM »
Levels are a state of mind. My advice is don't even worry about what label to call yourself. No matter how far u get, there is always more to learn. So, to me there is only one category, "Still Learning".

So great but yet, humble. :) That's T-Block for ya! ;D

I totally agree with you T-Block. I've been playing for a couple of years, and even though piano players that I categorize as "Beast", say I'm good and great and stuff, I still feel like I am still learning and am not anywhere near the level of "Advanced".

There is so much to know about music. Recently, I learned an awesome shout from a piano player that had just started playing. Two heads are better that one, so learn all you can from others and tell what you know as well. ;)
Play what you KNOW is right; not what you THINK is right
BTW Go to http://www.wordoffaithmnc.com

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 09:10:43 AM »

I believe that statement can be debated. I bet if you and I were to sit at a piano, folks would say, 'Oh, Sjon's a beginner and T-Block's a beast.' (but, they probbly wouldn't be that nice.

You see it all the time @ concerts, sheds, in LGM threads.  :-\

Now, I understand the sentiment of your statment; I just think it can be debated. BTJM.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 04:26:27 PM »
Now, I understand the sentiment of your statment; I just think it can be debated. BTJM.

As long as u understand the sentiment, my job here is done, LOL. ;) :D
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 05:52:41 PM »
As long as u understand the sentiment, my job here is done, LOL. ;) :D

;) :D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 07:29:32 AM »
Just had a random thought today.  I guess this would be a good question for Piano Teachers.

As far as Beginners, Intermediate, and Advanced players go,

1)  How much should a person know, in order to exit out of the Beginner's Level, and be classified as an "Intermediate Piano Player"?

2)  How much should a person know, in order to exit out of the Intermediate Level, and be classified as an "Advanced Piano Player"?

I would think that to be considered an Intermediate Player, one should:

- Understand the structure of scales (Major, Minor, Whole Tone, Blues, etc,.), and be able to play them.

- Understand the structure of chords (Major, Minor, Aug, Dim)

- Be able to play both in atleast 3 diff. keys.

Thats all I can think of right now.  What do you all think?

I think it depends on the goals of your students.

Offline jude63

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 11:42:37 AM »
I agree with the category of "still learning" but there is no mistake that there is a beginner lever, everything has a beginning
Pages: [1]   Go Up