Author Topic: tko05  (Read 2107 times)

Offline fLaT-fIfTh

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.gospelchops.com

tko05
« on: October 14, 2009, 12:39:54 PM »
Hey man,

Let's see if we can work this thing out here. Please understand that everything I post here is MY OPINION. Do your own research and find your own truths.

Do like to read? You should learn to at least like it because all of the information you seek is available in print. The problem is young black musicians don't like to read. They don't even read music...

I have had the pleasure of interacting with some very successful people in my short career. One thing that I have found is that successful people, especially men, like to talk about their successes. So much so, that many of them have written books on their experiences, successes, and failures. READ! READ! READ! Fill your brain with proven information and use that information to formulate your own plan.

There a lots of ways to be successful in the music business. However, you first must grasp the concept that it is a business. Therefore, if you plan to be successful in the music business, knowledge of business in general will pay huge dividends. Do you know any successful people in the music business that don't have good business sense? I do... and they aren't as successful as they would like you to believe. It only appears that way because the businesses(there's that word again) that pimp them are successful.

Notice the word "pimp." I use this analogy often. The are tons of job titles in the music business, as any other industry. For the sake of our discussion, let's look at them as pimps and hoes. If you are successful in the music business, at some point along the way, you will be pimpin to some degree.

Let's look at a few job titles. Ask yourself, "Are they pimps or hoes?":

Music Publisher
Distributor
A&R Rep
Concert Promoter
Entertainment Attorney
Record Producer
Tour Manager
Songwriter
Music Director
Musician
Record Label Intern

This list includes pimps and hoes. However, some job functions require you to be both. The mentality and *business* savvy of each individual is key because some hoes are able to learn so much game from their own pimps that they can become pimps as well. BIG FISH GET BIGGER BY EATING LITTLE FISH.

God bless

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

Re: tko05
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 01:27:31 PM »
...you know what flat, I've had the priveledge of seeing Russ Miller in a rare clinic appearance and he advised everyone in the room to: a) Learn how to read music/everything   b) Get educated in music/instruments (not just drums).  c) Become familiar with all aspects of the session world.  d) network

...the number of minorities in the room was embarrasing.  There are many cats that want to make it into the business but are not willing to put in the work.  By work, I don't mean just practicing.  I do mean driving 45min. to 2hrs or more to listen to someone speak for an hour to gain knowledge.  Driving 1hr. to get with that drum teacher that's going to help you get over the hump and take the limits off of your playing.  Purchasing that "educational dvd" that will open the doors to different ideas. etc.

...so yeah man, I feel where you guys are coming from.  The truth is that even Rob Lewis has a Youtube clip about stuff like this but once again, no one is paying attention or so it seems...
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline fLaT-fIfTh

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 01:59:06 PM »

...the number of minorities in the room was embarrasing.

That's what I like... a man who can find wisdom in simple observation.

Now, JFunky, you have found the silver bullet. The problem is nobody wants to go there. People are fearful of being cast out by their communities, churches, ect. Are you willing to go there, JFunky? That's dangerous ground man... but the truth is RIGHT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have spoken to mods in this very room about the topic, but I have never seen it addressed here. Be careful, JFunky. The truth will set you free... from race, from culture, from denomination.

God bless

Offline min_amw

• LGM Member
    • Divine Soldiers

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 04:49:48 PM »

...the number of minorities in the room was embarrasing.  There are many cats that want to make it into the business but are not willing to put in the work.  By work, I don't mean just practicing.  I do mean driving 45min. to 2hrs or more to listen to someone speak for an hour to gain knowledge.  Driving 1hr. to get with that drum teacher that's going to help you get over the hump and take the limits off of your playing. 

WORD! I'm there right now bro! I've been reaching and networking with people outside of my normal circle and I've been constantly challeneged to expand my thinking and learning more aspects of the music biz in detail. These folks have been teaching me about publishing, contract writing, my public image, and sooooooo much more. I actually felt sort of dumb listening to them talk and engaging in conversation with them, but I needed it! Not to mention they live an hour from me and we get together every couple of weeks.

What you and Flat-fith are speaking is what so many of us run from, but we don't realize that this is what completes the package of PROFESSIONALISM! I claimed for years to be a pro just because I get paid to do what I do, but I lacked (and still lack) so much essential knowledge to the point that it makes me sick. Now, I'm starting to see the reality of where I am and where I want to go. It's about the total package...I gotta get THERE!
Love God. Live Long.

Offline tko05

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 05:22:38 PM »
Thanks a lot for this post!

I had the pleasure of getting to sit down with Rickey Minor this weekend and he told me a lot of the things that you are telling me now. He talked about how 99 percent of people trying to make it won't because they're not willing to put the work in and go that extra mile. He also talked about making yourself a business. Check out Rickey's book "Theres No Traffic On The Extra Mile" if you haven't already.

Jfunky you're right! You know how many people showed up to see Rickey at his book signing???..... Maybe 30 and out of thoes 30 I think that my Father and I were the only ones who were trying to learn from him the rest were star struck and name droping.

I think we've been brought up to believe that the color of our skin gives us an extreme disadvantage and prevents many of us from even trying. I hate that mindset! If a white man can be the CEO of a fortune 500 company then so can I!! But thats for a different thread LOL!!

Thanks again! I really appreciate when people with knowledge take the time to share it with others! I'll get started learning about the BUSINESS of music ASAP!!

“If Better Is Possible, Good Is No Longer An Option.

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 07:52:38 PM »
Rob lewis took those clips down. cuz i was trying to show a friend of mine all the knowledge that he, ethan farmer, chris coleman were dropping. you also got to hear from the artist that he plays for so you got to see how an artist may think.
you got to hear numbers

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 06:24:38 AM »
I totally feel ya G. I kind of took a break from playing drums, just because there are some things I need to re-evaluate.  You know some times you get so caught in the excitment of things to where you start to make excuses for yourself. So this is the time in my life where I'm really learning from my mistakes and setting goals in my life to reach my P.O.S (Point Of Success) without the distraction of drums. I mean I started playing bass just to stay musically inclined and to stay fresh minded. But yeah G you have a real valid point. There some things we don't wanna do to get to certain areas, and don't realize those are the things that's hurting us, so we start to make excuses for ourselves so we don't have to endure or go thru certain challenges.

Offline JFunky

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Marvin McQuitty jr. (Thank You)

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 08:12:31 AM »
WORD! I'm there right now bro! I've been reaching and networking with people outside of my normal circle and I've been constantly challeneged to expand my thinking and learning more aspects of the music biz in detail. These folks have been teaching me about publishing, contract writing, my public image, and sooooooo much more. I actually felt sort of dumb listening to them talk and engaging in conversation with them, but I needed it! Not to mention they live an hour from me and we get together every couple of weeks.

What you and Flat-fith are speaking is what so many of us run from, but we don't realize that this is what completes the package of PROFESSIONALISM! I claimed for years to be a pro just because I get paid to do what I do, but I lacked (and still lack) so much essential knowledge to the point that it makes me sick. Now, I'm starting to see the reality of where I am and where I want to go. It's about the total package...I gotta get THERE!

...dude, you know, I felt as how you were feeling after meeting Carlito and the session musicians he surrounds himself with.  Dude, it was a very rude awakening for me man.  I was like, wow!  "I really don't know a thing about this music business."  And I'm talking about the Latin Christian music world.  There were so many truths not "stories" that I heard and saw that made me realize that I need to become a real complete "musician" first and also have a "producer" mentality along with a great attitude to make the "b" list man.  Well, that's how I felt anyway...

I had the pleasure of getting to sit down with Rickey Minor this weekend and he told me a lot of the things that you are telling me now. He talked about how 99 percent of people trying to make it won't because they're not willing to put the work in and go that extra mile. He also talked about making yourself a business. Check out Rickey's book "Theres No Traffic On The Extra Mile" if you haven't already.

Jfunky you're right! You know how many people showed up to see Rickey at his book signing???..... Maybe 30 and out of thoes 30 I think that my Father and I were the only ones who were trying to learn from him the rest were star struck and name droping.

I think we've been brought up to believe that the color of our skin gives us an extreme disadvantage and prevents many of us from even trying. I hate that mindset! If a white man can be the CEO of a fortune 500 company then so can I!! But thats for a different thread LOL!!

Thanks again! I really appreciate when people with knowledge take the time to share it with others! I'll get started learning about the BUSINESS of music ASAP!!

...you see.  If there's anyone to talk to about the music business it would be Ricky Minor.  C'mon man, he is "that guy."

Rob lewis took those clips down. cuz i was trying to show a friend of mine all the knowledge that he, ethan farmer, chris coleman were dropping. you also got to hear from the artist that he plays for so you got to see how an artist may think.

...I wonder how many hits those clips had though?  That's probably why he took them down.  Rob was giving people the "backstage pass" to the business.
Psalms 144.1 - "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

Offline fLaT-fIfTh

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 10:16:46 AM »

THANK YOU! for being receptive. It's good to know that some of my ideas align with those of Rickey Minor. There is that formula again (man + success = book). The ability to recognize truth will prove to be invaluable to you. You can make it in the music business. Your quest for knowledge will naturally lead you toward a more successful path than most because when you are faced with choices, you will be armed with information that will undoubtedly influence your decision. Keep pushin man!

I totally feel ya G. I kind of took a break from playing drums, just because there are some things I need to re-evaluate.  You know some times you get so caught in the excitment of things to where you start to make excuses for yourself. So this is the time in my life where I'm really learning from my mistakes and setting goals in my life to reach my P.O.S (Point Of Success) without the distraction of drums. I mean I started playing bass just to stay musically inclined and to stay fresh minded. But yeah G you have a real valid point. There some things we don't wanna do to get to certain areas, and don't realize those are the things that's hurting us, so we start to make excuses for ourselves so we don't have to endure or go thru certain challenges.

DON'T STOP PLAYING! Michael Tobias plays bass, but that's not what we know him for... Vic Firth plays drums, but that's not we know him for... I could go on and on. It's about finding your place in the game.

God bless

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 10:37:17 AM »

DON'T STOP PLAYING! Michael Tobias plays bass, but that's not what we know him for... Vic Firth plays drums, but that's not we know him for... I could go on and on. It's about finding your place in the game.

God bless

Yeah....you're right. I never looked at it like that before. I just don't want to feel like I've waisted so much valueble time trying to find that one thing.

Offline tko05

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 11:16:45 AM »
“If Better Is Possible, Good Is No Longer An Option.

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 02:00:18 PM »
Now this thread is what I need in my life; serious golden nuggets that I'm munching on right here. My whole thing now is trying to think outside the box. Just yesterday I was wondering how many missed opportunities to build unique ministries exist all because someone wasn't willing to think outside the box. I don't want that to be me, so I'm "doing work!"
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up