LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Were upgrading and we need help.  (Read 940 times)

Offline annointed_keyboardist

• LGM Member

Were upgrading and we need help.
« on: November 09, 2009, 07:07:57 PM »
so the musician ministry at my church is
getting a new keyboard and we may even be getting a
organ but we dont know where to start to find two
part songs can someone please help us with some
easy songs we can start out with. my friend may
be on lead and i do back up on organ on something
we dont know yet.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

Re: Were upgrading and we need help.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 03:37:34 AM »
Hi A_K40Jesus ;)

Congrats on your upgrade.

I think the best starting point is starting with the songs you normally play at your church.
It sounds like an organ is not your specialty? But you can start applying some basic progressions or fill ins you hear in 90% of other songs.

Hence I suggest you start paying careful attention to any song with organ- you will hear that most of the stuff is just about filling in at the right time with a chord, run or a fancy progression & it sounds great.

You could also just pad the song through.
I'm not an organist at all, but when I pad, I focus on the key points of a song. IE, if the main points are 1-5-4-6-1, I play full sustained chords to cover those key areas.
Once I'm comfortable with the chords & the song is looping several times, I start adding some meat to the skeleton:

eg:  1-#5-5-b5-4-b7-6-7-1   or  1-#4-5-3-4-#5-6-5-1  etc

Get the picture?

What I've given you is what the bass would be doing, then I have a fitting chord in the right. In case of an organ, you can play chords with both hands whilst the foot takes care of the bass.
If you can't handle the foot pedal, you could still follow this pattern with the hands.

I don't know if this is what you were looking for.
But if it is, you might find many of the organ progression posts helpful.

These are recent progressions posted which you could use for padding some songs or even during the sermon.  [http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,69203.0.html]

Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up