LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Readig the chords Charts  (Read 928 times)

Offline ronrector

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Readig the chords Charts
« on: October 29, 2009, 11:53:17 PM »
Can someone tell me how to read the the ohord charts that are shown.  I thought I could figure it out but I have had limited, very limited success.  The left hand and reight hand column is confusing to me.  I figureed that this is piano cords and the left hand is the bass line.  I showed a guitarist and pianist and neither could help.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Reading LGM-Style chord Charts
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 12:10:19 AM »
Yes, that is right.

Some organ LGM charts are in this format:

Pedals    LH       RH
C           C G      E G C      We Praise You

Most are like this:

LH       RH
C G      E G C                  We Praise You

I prefer Guitar-style Vertical-format Chord charts, and post some now and then..

Offline ronrector

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Readig the chords Charts
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 12:14:30 AM »
Thanks for your reply and sorry I did not see it earlier but I am still a little puzzled as to which note I would play on bass.  Forgive me if i am a little dense but I really would like to know if there is a way.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 01:02:13 AM »
Bass usually plays the name/lowest note of the chord, although they may play other passing notes when going from one chord to another. So you would play the very first note in the LH column....

Offline ronrector

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 01:13:48 AM »
Thank you very, very much.  I feel empowered to enjoy these songs.

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 09:15:37 AM »
hey Bet,when you see chords posted like this,if you do the pedals or have a bass player,do you automatically go to the 2nd inversion?  lt hand G-C to keep from muddying up things

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 11:38:07 AM »
If there's a Bass player, I try to voice my LH an octave up, which pushes my RH up, too. 2nd inv. (G, if on a C chord) is a good place...

Offline SavnBass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Saved by GRACE .. Bass by choice

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 11:03:17 PM »
If there's a Bass player, I try to voice my LH an octave up, which pushes my RH up, too. 2nd inv. (G, if on a C chord) is a good place...

That is so considerate.. :) we used to have an organist at our church that would sometimes work the low end so much and play so loud that often I couldnt hear what I was playing.. Used to drive me nuts...
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 05:27:26 AM »
I'm finding if there's a bass player.the chords fit SOOOOOO nice in the 2 + 3 octaves!  Especially a C in 2 nd inversion-gives the hands a NICE smooth way to play some progressions w/o jumping all over the place.

When using a multiple keys setup,a Rhodes or piano patch or horns makes a NICE backing/counterpoint to organ lines/chords.

When i get rich +famous-gonna have Sebastian build me a custom B3 in a chop case tuned to an INCH of it's life with midi so I can trigger my xs from it!!!!AND a custom pedal board with WIDE pedals for my EEE's.

course-then I'll need to practice like mad;maybe get a brain transplant from T-Block,Diverse,and you cats that REALLY play

Offline ronrector

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 06:32:40 PM »
I have been playing, "There is A Fountain" of the chords charts and it worked out great.  I just thought I let everyone know and again thanks for your help.

Pages: [1]   Go Up