LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Alex Sampson's "Gosepl Bass Player"  (Read 18780 times)

Offline jkbeckwith4

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Alex Sampson's "Gosepl Bass Player"
« on: November 13, 2009, 09:18:54 AM »
Just got my copy today!

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Alex Sampson's "Gosepl Bass Player"
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 11:03:59 AM »
Just got my copy today!
  :o  So what do you think so far,can you give us some details,I'm thinking about ordering a set. ;)
"Each One Teach One"

Offline jkbeckwith4

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 11:16:27 AM »
I'm going to watch all the DVDs straight thru, no stopping straight thru. There's seven of them so I'll be busy.

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM »
I got mine too!

Offline jkbeckwith4

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 12:59:25 AM »
I'm still on disc 2, she's loaded with licks (60). Dat cat playing with him (Ty)is nice.

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 01:48:36 PM »
I've had chance to look at most of the DVDs and really like what I see. I happen to know Ty Blanchard and he is a solid bass player, Though I don't know Alex personally, I have purchased several of his training stuff and have greatly benefited from his teachings. So is "The Contemporary Gospel Bass PLayer" any good? Abxolutely! I don't know that you could get the things that are packed into this 5 DVD set for $70 anywhere else. However, I must warn you: if you expect more than an idea starter upon which you can build and improvise, you may not get much out of it.

Here is what I like:
Lots of examples with video of left/right hand and tablature
Great examples of how the modes work over chord progressions
Great chops builders, call and response and other exercises
What you learn here works with other styles of music

Here is what I don't like:
Infomercials that can't be skipped
Alex talks too much
Video quality could be better

Other than that, its a great investment that I will be working on for quite sometime.

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 05:00:03 PM »
I've had chance to look at most of the DVDs and really like what I see. I happen to know Ty Blanchard and he is a solid bass player, Though I don't know Alex personally, I have purchased several of his training stuff and have greatly benefited from his teachings. So is "The Contemporary Gospel Bass PLayer" any good? Abxolutely! I don't know that you could get the things that are packed into this 5 DVD set for $70 anywhere else. However, I must warn you: if you expect more than an idea starter upon which you can build and improvise, you may not get much out of it.

Here is what I like:
Lots of examples with video of left/right hand and tablature
Great examples of how the modes work over chord progressions
Great chops builders, call and response and other exercises
What you learn here works with other styles of music

Here is what I don't like:
Infomercials that can't be skipped
Alex talks too much
Video quality could be better

Other than that, its a great investment that I will be working on for quite sometime.

Thanks for your input,you have so many people selling "how to"videos you don't know if you wasted your money or not until you purchased their product,and then it's to late.

There's an old saying "a fool and his money will soon be parted" and I don't want to part from my $70.00 for a basic "how to video" >:(,this sound like it could be a good investment and  I'm  going to go for it!     if I'm wrong I'm changing my name from "Arthur59,to $70fool" :-\
"Each One Teach One"

Offline jkbeckwith4

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 08:18:52 AM »
I agree "kevmove02 " the infomercials were a little much, you can't forward past them.  :)

Offline Asahel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 09:06:44 AM »
>>I received my copy and watched 4 DVDs out of 7 and so far I'm not happy.<<

Hopefully you can return the product for a full refund, according to Alex's guarantee.  I believe you get to keep the freebies.

Otherwise you're gonna have to change your name, man!  :)

I bought one product from Alex, and while good, I agree with some comments here that Alex takes too long to say what could be said in one sentence (this is an illustration).  Infomercials in a product that you are paying for should not be tolerated AT ALL!  Those should be in another section of the DVD that you can watch if you choose to.
Phillippians 1:6

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 12:31:05 PM »
To be fair to Alex, lots of DVDs do not allow you to skip the commercials (which I find equally annoying). As far as the complaint about learning gospel music, hear are my thoughts:

If you were expecting to learn recorded Gospel music, copyrights prevent this. Remember when you could find tab for just about any song? Once the RIAA started going after the web sites that hosted these files, all the websites shut down. If Alex were to perform copyrighted songs without permission, he would get sued into oblivion.

If he had used hymns, most people would have complained that they already know those songs, especially if you are a premium member of this website.

So he did the next best thing: he played riffs that represent the best of CONTEMPORARY GOSPEL MUSIC. I have seen Ty Blanchard perform many times with a house band that plays all over the PA/MD/DE area. The riffs you hear on the DVDs are the same ones he plays live. The trick is to adapt what you hear to the style of music you play. For example, on Fred Hammond's new CD, "Love Unstoppable" the track, "Thoughts of Love" has a latin bossa nova feel to it. So if you know any basslines from this genre of music, you would have no problem with picking up this song. In fact, if you learned any of the songs performed by Sade, you already know the changes on Fred's track, because they follow a similar music form.

This leads to the benefit for me: learn certain forms, then adapting them to other music styles. I may have been able to arrive at this point a different way, but being able to hear the patterns and see the fingering not only makes a better musician, but also has the advantage of planting seeds for future ideas. That is not bad for only $67, which if I understand it correctly, may barely cover the cost of a lesson.

Now if you watched the DVD's and already can play all the riffs demonstrated both flawlessly and while improvising, then you probably wasted your money. As for me, I have a ways to go to make that claim.

Ty said one thing on the video that really hit home: If you want to master your craft, find your favorite CD and learn to play all of the songs from beginning to end, then play them straight through, as though you were playing a set. We bass players scoff at this practice, but that's exactly what keyboardist (pianist specifically) must do to prove proficiency.

Offline jkbeckwith4

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 01:02:31 PM »
My man, i agree with you totally, i have a few of Alex's courses and very happy with them. Some of those 60 licks are challenging. For 67 bucks, you get alot. 

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 05:38:22 PM »
I have three more DVDs to watch,what I'm saying is so far what he is talking about on this "gospel bass player course" was already covered in his "bass player secret course and the fret board formula couse, which I do have both,and they are very good instructional DVDs,however when you use the name"gospel bass" that's what I'm paying for,to learn more about "how to play GOSPEL BASS",the songs that he is playing don't have the "gospel feel"to it,notning about it seize gospel to ME but the title.

Right here on LGM, the bass players talk and teach each other more about "gospel bass" then I've learned from wathing 4 DVDs from Alex "GOSPEL BASS PLAYER" and it's free!!! (each one teach one).

Once I watch the other three DVDs I will give the family my personal"opinion"on the entire course, are maybe I'll  keep the rest of my opinion to myself,I'm not trying to stop the man from making his money.(go Alex, you make that "money")  :-\

thank you

$70fool :-\

"Each One Teach One"

Offline Shame218

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 06:49:21 PM »
Here on this site you learn so much more and the people that are giving their opinion are more sincere - with no alterior motives; making money off of you.  You learn more for free! 

Offline jkbeckwith4

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 11:33:09 AM »
"Author59", do think there will ever be a such DVD course for the "gospel bassist" that will just focus on just gospel music, riffs, runs, and progressions (movements). It would be nice if one our gospel hero bassists like "Terenace Palmer" came out with some instructional materials. Maybe  8)

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 12:23:43 PM »
"Author59", do think there will ever be a such DVD course for the "gospel bassist" that will just focus on just gospel music, riffs, runs, and progressions (movements). It would be nice if one our gospel hero bassists like "Terenace Palmer" came out with some instructional materials. Maybe  8)
Yes I do,You have a lot of great "gospel" bass player out there,howerever not all of them are good teachers.

We have some good players and teacher right here on LGM and if they were to put out a DVD on how to play "Gospel bass" I'm sure it would be good,because they're doing it in bits and pieces right now!! I've learned evrey thing about chord progression,turn arounds,modes and more from the LGM BASS FAMILY.

I do believe a professional "GOSPEL BASS PLAYER" will come out with a good instructional DVD for about $35.00  ::)

Thank you!

"Each One Teach One"

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 03:48:31 PM »
Yes I do,You have a lot of great "gospel" bass player out there,howerever not all of them are good teachers.

We have some good players and teacher right here on LGM and if they were to put out a DVD on how to play "Gospel bass" I'm sure it would be good,because they're doing it in bits and pieces right now!! I've learned evrey thing about chord progression,turn arounds,modes and more from the LGM BASS FAMILY.

I do believe a professional "GOSPEL BASS PLAYER" will come out with a good instructional DVD for about $35.00  ::)

Thank you!

FYI, I purchased a DVD set by " Victor Wooten" called "groove workshop" for $39.00. two DVDs and he talked about how to groove,if you hit a wrong note he teaches you how to groove right through
 it, and no one would no you hit a wrong note.Thats what I payed for and that what I got, nothing about chords,progressions,turnarounds, how to adjust your action on your bass,everything was about the "groove",

"HOW TO GROOVE"

Thank you!

"Each One Teach One"

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 04:59:02 PM »
I have to rebut: the riffs on the DVDs can be adapted to any style of music. Why am I so certain? Because the featured Bassist, Ty Blanchard, uses the exact same riffs in Gospel music that he uses on the DVD. Besides, what makes a bassline "Gospel" anyway? Oh wait, Ty addresses that on the DVD also!

Bottom line: not everyone is going to get the same edification out of an instructional video. I happen to think that this series is worth the investment. If you are expecting to hear actual gospel songs, copyright law prevents that. If they did use copyrighted songs, the series would cost twice as much. So try this: play the riffs over "gospel chord progressions" and then say the product doesn't measure up. Until then, I'm going back to the woodshed.

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 11:17:55 PM »
When I first started playing bass in church years ago I had no one to teach me so I went to the music store and brought a bass book called "star licks" it faetured bass player like,Larry Gram,James Jamerson JR, Earl Greco and my favorite Lous Johnson,I even brough a bass like Lous Johnson a "music man sting ray" for $1200.00,well all they taught was "licks" and I learned just about all of them and couldn't wait to get to church and try them out on my new bass  ;D

Man!!!, I was thumping,slapping, poping, all over the place,doing hammer ons,pull offs you couldn't tell me I wasn't a "beast" all eyes were on me!! :o after all I have the same bass lous  Johnson has and I knew all his licks,you should of heard me play "amazing grace",I poped and slapped through the whole song.After awhile they sat me down,told me to go home and learn the songs,learn the progressions,listen to the bass playres on gospel tapes,yes, I was hurt :'(( I didn't under stand ,after all I did learn all the licks from Lous Johnson and his friends and I had a "NEW BASS"!!!

That was the problem, all I knew was "licks", no scales, no 251 progression didn't know about the circle of 4th and 5th, just licks,ones I learned a little about gospel music than applied the licks,"IT WORKED" these wasn't "gospe"l licks but once I learned the rudiments of music and some basic stuff about gospel bass playing,then added the licks, IT WORKED!! I had to learn the basic first,I had to learn gospel basic, 101. then everything else made sense.

Thank you!

"Each One Teach One"

Offline jkbeckwith4

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 07:58:03 AM »
I've spent "some cash" on bass guitars, as well. I haven't gotten to an expensive rig, yet :). i just admire the bassist when I here gospel (old and new), those riffs and runs thru the song and that massive tone. We are the foundation! It just sounds good. I have shelf full of instructional materials, some I haven't gotten to yet. I feel if you want to master something, you gotta soke that thing up like a sponge.

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 02:10:37 PM »
I,ve spent thousand of dollars over the years on bass guitars,bass rigs,how to play bass VHS taps, bass books,DVDs,bass peddles and more trying to become a better "gospel bass player".

If you go to the music store and look @ the bass instructional section you won't find anything on gospel bass,you can find stuff on,jazz,blues,rock and roll,funck and more.

If I chose to play "blues" I would be a great bass player right now,however I chose to play gospel and I feel like there's a missing link in my playing that stoping me from being a great "gospel bass player" and I'll keep searching for it until I find it.

So when I hear about someone putting out a "how to play gospel bass" DVD I'm on it,hoping to find the "missing link" that stoping me from being a better gospel bass player.

Everything I'm talking about is from experiece, on my profile I have "I've benn playing bass on and off for 5 years, the thrth is I've ben playing on and off for about "21 years!!" I felt to embarrassed to tell any one because my playing doesn't reflect that,so I tell people I've ben playing for 5 yrs.

I tryed everything I could think of to become a better "gospel bass player" I would get discourage then give up,I've ben going through this cycle for 21 yrs,I love playing bass for the Lord and if it takes me 21 more years to find that mission link,so be it.

"TO GOD BE THR GLORY"

Thank you!

$70,well y'all know the rest. :-\

The thing with Gospel is that it incorporates so many different genres of music that, in order to be a great "Gospel" musician, you have to be well verse in all these other genres.  You can listen to one album and hear Latin, Rock, Jazz, Blues, R&B...etc.  I think the problem alot of people have with learning Gospel is that they don't account for feel and annointing.  The technique of learning Gospel music isn't really that much different than any other kind of music, IMO.  For many musicians (not saying it's the case with you) the missing link is the annointing.  You can play all the right notes and have all the technique and still sound wrong.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up