LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Alex Sampson's "Gosepl Bass Player"  (Read 18781 times)

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Alex Sampson's "Gosepl Bass Player"
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 08:59:43 AM »
I agree with you mjl22,feel and the annointant is a very inportant part of "gospel" in general,it's the annointing that makes a difference in my playing.

I just get angry >:( when someone is selling a product and uses a "key word" to target a certain group of people.

If the DVDs was title "everything a bass player should know" or "how to play licks over scales" or "walking bass" or "the 411 on bass" etc,I would not of purchased the product.I purchased  the product because of the title "gospel bass.

I found this site because of the title "learn gospel music", and thats whats going on here we're learing about gospel music and I love it !!! I'm hooked on it,got to have my LGM 3 times a day,

1,morning,befor work.
2.afternoon,luhch time
3.evening.befor bed.

"GOT TO HAVE IT"

Afthur59 ;)
"Each One Teach One"

Offline justbass

• LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 10:25:32 AM »
I have to rebut: the riffs on the DVDs can be adapted to any style of music. Why am I so certain? Because the featured Bassist, Ty Blanchard, uses the exact same riffs in Gospel music that he uses on the DVD. Besides, what makes a bassline "Gospel" anyway? Oh wait, Ty addresses that on the DVD also!

Bottom line: not everyone is going to get the same edification out of an instructional video. I happen to think that this series is worth the investment. If you are expecting to hear actual gospel songs, copyright law prevents that. If they did use copyrighted songs, the series would cost twice as much. So try this: play the riffs over "gospel chord progressions" and then say the product doesn't measure up. Until then, I'm going back to the woodshed.
So you know TY Blanchard ? do you have stock in this product ? just asking. ::)

Ivan Santigo came out with instructional video called "urban bass" and no I don't know him, and I'm not trying to push his video,he gives a demonstration of gospel quarte bass playing,and gospel shout bass playing and it sounds and feels like gospel bass playing, he doesn't mention the name of the song but you know it's "gospel"
Hey man, give me that bass befor you hurt your self!!

Offline justbass

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 10:41:20 AM »
I,ve spent thousand of dollars over the years on bass guitars,bass rigs,how to play bass VHS taps, bass books,DVDs,bass peddles and more trying to become a better "gospel bass player".

If you go to the music store and look @ the bass instructional section you won't find anything on gospel bass,you can find stuff on,jazz,blues,rock and roll,funk and more.

If I chose to play "blues or rock" I would be a great bass player right now,however I chose to play gospel and I feel like there's a missing link in my playing that stoping me from being a great "gospel bass player" and I'll keep searching for it until I find it,I think gospel music is one of the hardest style of music to master,in my opinion.

So when I hear about someone putting out a "how to play gospel bass" DVD I'm on it,hoping to find the "missing link" that stoping me from being a better gospel bass player.

Everything I'm talking about is from experiece, on my profile I have "I've benn playing bass on and off for 5 years, the thrth is I've ben playing on and off for about "21 years!!" I felt to embarrassed to tell any one because my playing doesn't reflect that,so I tell people I've ben playing for 5 yrs.

I tryed everything I could think of to become a better "gospel bass player" I would get discourage then give up,I've ben going through this cycle for 21 yrs,I love playing bass for the Lord and if it takes me 21 more years to find that mission link,so be it.

"TO GOD BE THR GLORY"

Thank you!

$70,well y'all know :-\
Much respect to you,I'll be praying that you find that missing link.

Offline justbass

• LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 04:50:39 PM »
I two have a copy of alex sampson "gospel bass player.

THIS IS WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT:

Alex is a good teacher.
ty is a good bass player.
the licks are very good.
the way he explain how modes work.

THIS IS WHAT I DIS LIKE:

two many licks.
ty is not a good teacher.
calling us " boy & girls.
takes to long to get to the point,then once he's there he over kills it.
the songs he selected to break down to us didn't have the gospel feel to it, sounds like song he wrote and he put a gospel title to it.

He could have made his point with two dvds,instead of "7"

Bottom line if your looking to improve your bass blaying,the videos will help.
If your looking to improve your knowledge of gospel bass playing this is not the video you want, IMO

Offline jkbeckwith4

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 06:56:38 PM »
I like Ivan's DVD, my favorite part is also quartet section. I like his bass.

Offline Shame218

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 08:36:04 PM »
I like Ivan's DVD, my favorite part is also quartet section. I like his bass.
since you started this post tell us which one you like better
Alex Simpsons "gospel bass player" or
Ivan Santigo "urban bass" and tell us us why. ?/?

Offline Shame218

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2009, 08:39:31 PM »
I agree with you mjl22,feel and the annointant is a very inportant part of "gospel" in general,it's the annointing that makes a difference in my playing.

I just get angry >:( when someone is selling a product and uses a "key word" to target a certain group of people.

If the DVDs was title "everything a bass player should know" or "how to play licks over scales" or "walking bass" or "the 411 on bass" ect,I would not of purchased the product.I purchased  the product because of the title "gospel bass.

I found this site because of the title "learn gospel music", and thats whats going on here we're learing about gospel music and I love it !!! I'm hooked on it,got to have my LGM 3 times a day,

1,morning,befor work.
2.afternoon,luhch time
3.evening.befor bed.

If I don't get my 3 dally doese of LGM, ALL HELL IS GOING TO BRAKE LOOSE!! >:( >:(

1.MORNING,SOMEONE PLUMBING IS GOING TO GET JACKED UP!!(i'm a plumber)
2.AFTERNOON,LUNCH,"LUNCH, WHAT LUNCH I DONT WANT TO EAT!!
3.EVENING,MAKE LOVE TO MY WIFE. MAKE LOVE,NOT TONIGHT,SHE'S ON HER OWN!!!

LOL!!! ;D ;D ;D  ;D, gota go I'm late for work.

thank you!

$7

Afthur59 ;)
YOU FUNNY!!! :D :D

Offline jkbeckwith4

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2009, 09:01:53 PM »
i like Ivan's DVD better. He and Jamal play off of each other real well. I seems to me they get down to point with they want to show. i also like virtual bass notation at the bottom of the screen. i also like when they introduce the tritone. To sum it up Shame218, Ivan and the gang get to it, also, no infomercials.

Offline justbass

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2009, 09:03:13 PM »
So you know TY Blanchard ? do you have stock in this product ? just asking. ::)

Ivan Santigo came out with instructional video called "urban bass" and no I don't know him, and I'm not trying to push his video,he gives a demonstration of gospel quarte bass playing,and gospel shout bass playing and it sounds and feels like gospel bass playing, he doesn't mention the name of the song but you know it's "gospel"
yes, I'm sending it back,not worth my investment.

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2009, 10:25:46 AM »
For the record, I work in a Christian bookstore that host "gospel music performances". After getting into bass, I approached the bass player to ask him about his bass. Everytime he came through, I would ask him more questions, which he was always eager to answer. Then one day, to my great surprise, I see him on the "commercial" for "The Contemporary Gospel Bass Player". When I listened to music on the DVD's, I recognised the licks he played, because he used the same one in live performances. The only stock I own in Alex's company is in the form of the 3 courses I bought from him.

I ask you all to do a little experiment with me. Get yourself a copy of Andre Crouch's "I'm Gonna Keep On Singing" and listen to the bass line. Now listen to the arrangement. Now pick any Motown song that features James Jamerson as bass player. What is the difference?

Now go get the original version of "You Brought the Sunshine" by the Clark Sisters. The bassline of this song is a common reggae progression.

Next, listen to the bassline from Fred Hammonds, "Let the Praise Begin". This bassline, as performed by both Fred and Terrance Palmer is considered one of the best basslines ever. At least thats the opinion of Bass Player magazine.

Last one: listen to the basslines from each song on Fred Hammonds "Love Unstoppable". What you find is songs that cover the entire spectrum of musical genres (or pretty close). They all have 2 things in common: you don't have to know "gospel music" to be able to pick up the styles or chord progressions, and you can only understand the lyrics by knowing and believing the Gospel.

That is the true heart of the matter. ANY musician with decent chops will be able to listen our music and play along. What gives our music its power is the empowerment of the Holy Spirit, coupled with the presentation of the Gospel.

I appreciate what I can learn from any musician, especially the ones who take the time to post videos, write articles and create tablature, so that all can benefit from their experience. For me, the musical journey to mastery involves learning the craft, then submitting it to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. I think Gospel Bass Player does a decent job of helping me along the path. It's okay to disagree. I just don't want anyone to get the impression that the DVD course is about learning recorded songs. If that is what you are looking for Hal Leonard has a fantastic series of bass recorded versions of popular music. I pray all stay the course and continue to honor the Lord in all you do.

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2009, 10:51:47 AM »
For the record, I work in a Christian bookstore that host "gospel music performances". After getting into bass, I approached the bass player to ask him about his bass. Everytime he came through, I would ask him more questions, which he was always eager to answer. Then one day, to my great surprise, I see him on the "commercial" for "The Contemporary Gospel Bass Player". When I listened to music on the DVD's, I recognised the licks he played, because he used the same one in live performances. The only stock I own in Alex's company is in the form of the 3 courses I bought from him.

I ask you all to do a little experiment with me. Get yourself a copy of Andre Crouch's "I'm Gonna Keep On Singing" and listen to the bass line. Now listen to the arrangement. Now pick any Motown song that features James Jamerson as bass player. What is the difference?

Now go get the original version of "You Brought the Sunshine" by the Clark Sisters. The bassline of this song is a common reggae progression.

Next, listen to the bassline from Fred Hammonds, "Let the Praise Begin". This bassline, as performed by both Fred and Terrance Palmer is considered one of the best basslines ever. At least thats the opinion of Bass Player magazine.

Last one: listen to the basslines from each song on Fred Hammonds "Love Unstoppable". What you find is songs that cover the entire spectrum of musical genres (or pretty close). They all have 2 things in common: you don't have to know "gospel music" to be able to pick up the styles or chord progressions, and you can only understand the lyrics by knowing and believing the Gospel.

That is the true heart of the matter. ANY musician with decent chops will be able to listen our music and play along. What gives our music its power is the empowerment of the Holy Spirit, coupled with the presentation of the Gospel.

I appreciate what I can learn from any musician, especially the ones who take the time to post videos, write articles and create tablature, so that all can benefit from their experience. For me, the musical journey to mastery involves learning the craft, then submitting it to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. I think Gospel Bass Player does a decent job of helping me along the path. It's okay to disagree. I just don't want anyone to get the impression that the DVD course is about learning recorded songs. If that is what you are looking for Hal Leonard has a fantastic series of bass recorded versions of popular music. I pray all stay the course and continue to honor the Lord in all you do.
Well said kevmove02,the reason we're on this site is to help each other become better gospel musicans.it with discssion like this we grow a little more in our quest to be the best that God would have us to be.

GOD BLESS YOU!

Arthur59 :)
"Each One Teach One"

Offline dyrell11

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2009, 02:05:01 AM »
i got my copy as well alex sampson is the man i just started playing bass for 7 months ow wish me luck guys im looking to do this until the day the takes me home lol.

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2009, 08:54:22 AM »

I think what they mean to say is that they would like if he had covered how to play with a more traditional/congregational playing style.  Anybody can play contemporary. Its easy. Fred Hammond, Clark Sisters all these people dont make difficult songs.  They probably were looking for how to play hymns and stuff like that. 
you got to hear numbers

Offline wolldav

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2009, 03:01:13 AM »
Hi all,

well here is my 2 pence on the Gospel Bass Player DVD.  By the way i live in England and i just got the DVD on friday the 27th of Nov. 

Disk number 1: I would say that the disk is good but not really needed. It was good information but very general.  I've been playing for awhile and i have NEVER messed with the truss rod, intonation, etc.  I leave it to the pro's to do.

Disk number 2: Excellent

Disk number 3: Excellent

Disk  number 4A and 4B: Excellent

Extra 2 disks: A plus....

I would give the over presentation of this disk a 95 out of 100....  I can't blame the man for doing advertisements on his dvd, but it was kinda over kill... but funny think, it made me spark an interest into finding out about the Fretboard Formula disks he has.. hmmmmm

I've taken some of berklee's online bass courses, there not cheap $1000+ for a 12 week program for 1 class and some, i would say the majority of what Alex and Tye talked about were in the bass course that i took, especially the one where he talks about practicing in 4ths on the same string playing majors, minors, doms, and augs.  I compaired there dvd with the course i took and for them to get close to what the course i took teaches i must say is pretty good.

And no i'm not one of these guys PR team, i'm just a bass player that plays at church in the UK and gigs every now and then.

dw

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2009, 07:48:01 AM »
Hi all,

well here is my 2 pence on the Gospel Bass Player DVD.  By the way i live in England and i just got the DVD on friday the 27th of Nov. 

Disk number 1: I would say that the disk is good but not really needed. It was good information but very general.  I've been playing for awhile and i have NEVER messed with the truss rod, intonation, etc.  I leave it to the pro's to do.

Disk number 2: Excellent

Disk number 3: Excellent

Disk  number 4A and 4B: Excellent

Extra 2 disks: A plus....

I would give the over presentation of this disk a 95 out of 100....  I can't blame the man for doing advertisements on his dvd, but it was kinda over kill... but funny think, it made me spark an interest into finding out about the Fretboard Formula disks he has.. hmmmmm

I've taken some of berklee's online bass courses, there not cheap $1000+ for a 12 week program for 1 class and some, i would say the majority of what Alex and Tye talked about were in the bass course that i took, especially the one where he talks about practicing in 4ths on the same string playing majors, minors, doms, and augs.  I compaired there dvd with the course i took and for them to get close to what the course i took teaches i must say is pretty good.

And no i'm not one of these guys PR team, i'm just a bass player that plays at church in the UK and gigs every now and then.

dw
You said that the majority of what Alex talked about you learned from berklee's online bass course,was that a gospel bass course?
"Each One Teach One"

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2009, 10:06:28 AM »
You said that the majority of what Alex talked about you learned from berklee's online bass course,was that a gospel bass course?

It seems like you are getting caught in the fact that it is marketed as a "Gospel Bass" course (and I know that's why you bought it in the first place).  But, I would like to ask if you think that the information on the DVDs can benefit your playing overall?  Is there anything on there that you can incorporate into your playing that will enhance what you already do or make you better?  Are there any new techniques, ways of thinking about bass, ways of approaching a song or progression...etc that you haven't thought about before?

I know you said that you weren't planning on sending it back so, my approach would be to figure how the info on there can benefit me.

Offline wolldav

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2009, 10:19:39 AM »
Arthur, your getting stuck on  the word "GOSPEL"........ It was a "JAZZ" course taught by Jim Stinnett at Berklee.  What i learned in that Jazz course i  have transfered it in my Gospel playing.. Its all knowledge thats being shared from someone else....  I'll take knowledge from someone playing rock because that will help me when i play Hillsongs type songs in church  (Loads of 16ths)...  ya get it?  Rock isn't gospel but you can pull from it what you need... Lets say Alexs stuff wasn't Gospel.... you sure can pull what you need from it in your playing...

dw

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2009, 03:38:14 PM »
Yes I guess I'm stuck on the word "gospel" if he took the word gospel out of it and if I didn't have any of his other courses, on a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a "10", however I do have his other courses,I have:

1. the bass guitar secret couse.
2.the fret board formula course
3.tha bass chopz course
4 the gospel bass course

80% of what he talked about in the gospel course was covered in the other courses. If a person grew up in a holiness church and they were not allowed to listen to any other music but gospel/ christian music and they wanted to learn how to play the bass for their church, would Alex gospel bass course help them??

"Each One Teach One"

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2009, 04:06:35 PM »
If this site was called :

LRM...learn rock music or
LCM...learn country music or
LJM...learn jazz music instead of
LGM...learn gospel music

How many of us would of joined?
"Each One Teach One"

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2009, 04:19:06 PM »
Yes I guess I'm stuck on the word "gospel" if he took the word gospel out of it and if I didn't have any of his other courses, on a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a "10", however I do have his other courses,I have:

1. the bass guitar secret couse.
2.the fret board formula course
3.tha bass chopz course
4 the gospel bass course

80% of what he talked about in the gospel course was covered in the other courses. If a person grew up in a holiness church and they were not allowed to listen to any other music but gospel/ christian music and they wanted to learn how to play the bass for their church, would Alex gospel bass course help them??

I don't have the Gospel Bass Course yet so, I can't comment from that perspective.  But, from a different perspective:  The first real "instructional bass" video that I got was Jaco's video.  Of course, it had nothing to do with Gospel but, the way he approached his scales, modes and arpeggios, I use everytime I pick up the bass (same with Vic, Patitucci, Oteil...etc).  I can understand being disappointed but, if there's nothing that you can get out of it, I would suggest sending it back and investing your money somewhere else. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up