LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alex Sampson's "Gosepl Bass Player"  (Read 18787 times)

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Alex Sampson's "Gosepl Bass Player"
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2009, 12:58:20 PM »
Arthur 59, if you would indulge me, are the videos found in the premium section of this website along the lines of what you wanted from Alex? While you ponder that, the course title is "The CONTEMPORARY Gospel Bass Player" not the traditional or old gospel bass player. I'm sorry you you didn't get what you expected. I hope a day comes when you find value in the course. I can't tell you how many times I purchased some instructional material, was disappointed, only to look at it a couple of months later and wonder why and how did I missed everything I was now.

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2009, 03:22:41 PM »
Hey Kevmove02!

Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving!  Yes, I guess I was expecting some traditional bass playing.  He could have devouted at least one DVD on showing us how to take the traditionl style and applying it to the more contemporary style of bass playing.  

Let me say this again:  I have most of Alex's bass courses, and they are all very good.  In my opinion 80% of what he talked about in the Gospel course was covered in his other courses but he just elaborated more in the Gospel course.
For instance, in the Gospel course, he has a DVD that's mostly devouted with playing along with the drummer.  In one of Alex's other courses, called "The Groove Suck" he talks about playing along with the drummer and mimicking what the drummer does on the bass.  In his bass guitar secret course, he has a book with 49 fills/licks.  In the gospel course, he has a DVD with 60 fills/licks.  In the gospel course, in talks about playing in 4ths, In the Fret board formula course, he talks about playing 4ths and other intervals all over the fret board.

If I didn't have Alex's other courses, and the Gospel course was the only one I had, I would be happy with the course.  My only disappointment would be is that it doesn't have the gospel feel to it.  

Thank you very much & have a blessed evening. ;)
"Each One Teach One"

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2009, 05:20:19 PM »
Arthur 59,

I hope your Thanksgiving was a blessing as well. I feel you on the courses. I actually skipped the fretboard formula. The Gospel Bass Player was exactly what I needed, because I prefer to see someone do it. In all honesty, I only picked up Alex's latest course because I couldn't resist the low price. I'm still working my way through Bass Chopz Accelerator, which was on the money for me. I have watched all the DVD's, but probably won't hit them hard until January 2010. That's because I'm taking the exercises from Bass Chopz accelerator and playing them over different drum tracks. 

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2009, 07:04:32 PM »
In my opinion, the fretboard formula is his best course. ;)
"Each One Teach One"

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2009, 08:55:19 AM »
FYI:
If you were to study the first DVD on alex's fretboard formula course for 40 min
a day  in 7 days you would know all the notes on the freatbord with ease.

"Each One Teach One"

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2009, 01:47:18 PM »
A note to all of the bassists that own Bass Guitar Secrets (BGS) and The Contemporary Gospel Bassist: The backing tracks played on some of the exercises came from BGS Jambox and BGS Groove Station! So if you never bothered to check out the software that came with BGS, now is the perfect time to check it out.

To get you started listen to Jambox Song 98: Pop, Snap, Stop. This is the backing track for Bass Fill #1 on DVD #2: The Vocabulary.

Offline JQuad

• LGM Member
  • Keep the bass movin'..always keep the bass movin'

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2009, 07:27:37 AM »
Well out of all the instructional videos I have (Joel Smith,Louis Johnson I & II, Verdine White, Nathan East and Randy Jackson 8)) this dvd is on the money! Granted the infomercials are a bit much. Maybe he could've done more. But there's 7 discs worth of material to learn, practice and maybe incorporate. A number of the disc I mentioned above are no where near as in-depth as "CGBP". Though the discs doesn't give an in-depth explanation of how to play certain songs(what instructional dvd does?) it does point you into the right direction the rest is on the player ::). Because of "CGBP" I am now curious about the "Bass chopz Accelorator" dvd. Any reviews? 

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Alex Sampson's "Gospel Bass Player"
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2009, 11:59:25 AM »
Bass Chopz Accelerator (BCA) is not a DVD product. It is a exercise book with 2 CDs containing the exercises played at 3 speeds: 70 bpm, 120 bpm, 180 bpm. The exercises were developed by looking at  etudes for other string instruments.

I have been using BCA since it came out and it has helped me tremendously in 2 areas: dexterity and turnarounds. Each exercise forces you to do string skipping, huge jumps from one end of the fretboard to the other and fretting with your whole hand. To advance, you must master each exercise at each tempo. Just going from 70 bpm to 120 bpm made me realize that "clean speed" is critical: if you can't play an exercise cleanly for several minutes, you are not ready to increase the tempo. So just practicing the drills until you can perform them without error is very beneficial. I also like how each exercise brings you back to the top, so you get in the habit of working the turnaround which leads to creating variations that are pleasing to the ear.

As is Alex' custom, he lays on the hyperbole a bit thick. The first 30 pages could have been culled down to 10 pages, at most. Also, all the pages are printed on one side alone. IMO, if he offered Bass Chopz Accelerator as a downloaded ebook with practice songs included, it would be a perfect package. However, I'm glad I got it anyway, especially since I purchased "Contemporary Gospel Bass Player". I think my favorite activity is to play the basslines using different backing tracks. taking a song that was written for 3/4 time and adapting it to 4/4 or 6/8 or a shuffle is not only challenging, but it opens up my creativity which leads to new bass licks.

Hope that helped somewhat.

Offline ericmknight

• LGM Member

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2009, 06:36:00 AM »
For many musicians (not saying it's the case with you) the missing link is the annointing.  You can play all the right notes and have all the technique and still sound wrong.

+ 50,000!!!!!  its the annointing!!  I have been told this many times when i've have voiced my self-criticism opinion about my not playing the bass well. When the annointing falls, it will sound like a 12 piece band when its really just bass, drums and the Hammond. God has a lot to do with how your music sounds. Most of us are probably better bass players than we give ourselves credit for. Especially when God is in control!

Offline ladybass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My Bass Grooves

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2009, 01:22:54 PM »
i like Ivan's DVD better. He and Jamal play off of each other real well. I seems to me they get down to point with they want to show. i also like virtual bass notation at the bottom of the screen. i also like when they introduce the tritone. To sum it up Shame218, Ivan and the gang get to it, also, no infomercials.

Thanks jk!!! I was wondering if Ivan's DVD was any good.

Offline sugerbear

• LGM Member

« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2009, 06:26:39 PM »
Ivan DVD gets right to the point!

Offline justbass

• LGM Member

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2010, 08:47:46 AM »
Dont wast your money on this!
Hey man, give me that bass befor you hurt your self!!

Offline Nazarite0106

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2010, 10:13:17 AM »
This DVD isn't all bad. It's got some good parts and some not so good. If nothing else the 60 licks they layout are good resources to have.

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2010, 12:17:28 PM »
An old thread resurrected... and I ask again to those who criticized the DVD:

Did you actually buy it?
Did you actually work through the exercises?
When you were not satisfied, did you take advantage of the 100% satisfaction guarantee and get your money back?

Offline justbass

• LGM Member

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2010, 01:51:57 PM »
An old thread resurrected... and I ask again to those who criticized the DVD:

Did you actually buy it?
Did you actually work through the exercises?
When you were not satisfied, did you take advantage of the 100% satisfaction guarantee and get your money back?

yes
yes
and YES
Hey man, give me that bass befor you hurt your self!!

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2010, 09:05:46 AM »
Your skills obviously far exceed my own. I wish you well as you seek another level of performance.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up