LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gospel Standards (Suggested Learning)  (Read 2007 times)

Offline thefunkystrummer

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Gospel Standards (Suggested Learning)
« on: November 25, 2009, 11:43:10 AM »
Hello folks,

I am new to playing gospel music. However, I have many years of experience as a guitarist and composer with secular pop, rock and contemporary jazz. I joined the LMG site to learn how you "real" gospel players get down. I wasn't raised in the church. So, I have none of that background to pull from.

As a start, I would first like to know if anyone here has any suggestions for a list of gospel standards (not so much modern praise & worship but traditional gospel standards) that any guitarist worth his salt ought to be able to play. This will surely help me and possibly other gospel novices. Thanks ahead of time!

As a starter, I'll throw one on the list:

Amazing Grace
Play well and prosper...

Offline SoundofJoy

• LGM Member
  • Play it again Sam
    • Sam's Gospel Music Course

Re: Gospel Standards (Suggested Learning)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 11:50:04 AM »
Here's a link to my Advanced Musician instuction page. I think you'll find everything your looking for there ;)

www.Samsmuzikco.com/advanced.html
I love music, any kind of music.

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 07:58:06 PM »
i'd say it depends on what type of church you are in...some churches will never do the old time churchy standards. even if they do...they are all VERY similar and do not rely on the guitar at all...so if you can comp/fill over a basic chord progression, you will be ok.

other than that...sounds like you already have a blend of styles to acclimate yourself to the music pretty quickly.

Offline thefunkystrummer

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 12:20:17 PM »
Sam (SoundofJoy) & Jlynnb1,

Thanks for the responses. Sam, your site is great. I've looked at several of the teaching aids you have available (including the gospel workbook). That is good stuff! Thank you for sharing your gifts with the rest of us!

I hope you guys had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Play well and prosper...

Offline HankHanks

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 11:33:42 PM »
Yeah, what he said ... THANKS, Sam.

When you want to expand, howzabout some Walter Hawkins & Love Alive off the first 3 albums?  Or some Andre?

Bless you, brother.

HANK

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 01:26:57 PM »
for churchy stuff i'll listen to Jonathan Dubose.  But as for this new stuff...it seems metal and quartet is the way to go...imho.

Offline thefunkystrummer

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 02:02:29 PM »
for churchy stuff i'll listen to Jonathan Dubose.  But as for this new stuff...it seems metal and quartet is the way to go...imho.

Metal, really? Please explain... Also, how do you define "quartet" (aside from a 4 piece musical ensemble)?
Play well and prosper...

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 02:32:48 PM »
Metal, really? Please explain... Also, how do you define "quartet" (aside from a 4 piece musical ensemble)?

eh...rock/metal.  It's in now.  Most of the newer gospel and CC cd's have at least one rockish/metal song in thier album.  Plus it's pretty fun to play that type of music in a band context imho.

And quartet like Mighty clouds of joy, williams brothers....you can't go wrong with that!!!  In my opinion, quartet is to gospel as blues is to the guitar (just my opinion). 

I DON'T CARE WHO YOU ARE OR WHAT TYPE OF GOSPEL/CHRISTIAN MUSIC YOU LISTEN TO, QUARTET WILL GET YOUR ATTENTION AND MOVE ANY CROWD!!!

Offline musicbishop

• LGM Member
  • Me and the spoiled one

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 06:16:08 AM »
eh...rock/metal.  It's in now.  Most of the newer gospel and CC cd's have at least one rockish/metal song in thier album.  Plus it's pretty fun to play that type of music in a band context imho.

And quartet like Mighty clouds of joy, williams brothers....you can't go wrong with that!!!  In my opinion, quartet is to gospel as blues is to the guitar (just my opinion). 

I DON'T CARE WHO YOU ARE OR WHAT TYPE OF GOSPEL/CHRISTIAN MUSIC YOU LISTEN TO, QUARTET WILL GET YOUR ATTENTION AND MOVE ANY CROWD!!!
[/u]

Amen brother It's just something about that geeeetar picking and that driving bass run that makes you wanna stomp your feet till they get numb (well in actuality strain your ligaments, it's happened to me before). LOL ;D Excuse my spelling schooling has now left the brain
The Chapters before life really begins don't matter, but, the ones after can never be erased

Offline vanlaw

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 05:02:05 PM »

Here's a link to my Advanced Musician instuction page. I think you'll find everything your looking for there ;)

www.Samsmuzikco.com/advanced.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up