LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: other hobbies  (Read 5756 times)

Offline aaamastin

• LGM Member
  • peace be still

other hobbies
« on: November 28, 2009, 07:24:09 PM »
what are yalls other hobbies i ride horses
peace be still

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

Re: other hobbies
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 07:57:46 PM »
sleeping, eating ... basketball, working out, ... computer games.

Offline SavnBass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Saved by GRACE .. Bass by choice

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 12:34:56 AM »
Reading, graphic arts, WWII history, aviation history.. WWII Flight sims..
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 03:42:35 AM »
Besides music, I enjoy photography: http://www.flickr.com/photos/neosoulphoto/

Other than that, not much else...

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 10:10:12 AM »
what are yalls other hobbies i ride horses

I don't have time for other hobbies, as I spend all my free time watching YouTube videos of bass technique. ;D

Just kidding, I enjoy reading and watching movies.

Offline ssab

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 12:04:54 PM »
i just got into cooking. lovin it.

Offline aaamastin

• LGM Member
  • peace be still

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 03:47:54 PM »
thats nice
peace be still

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 04:17:49 PM »
Trains.  Particularly the Chessie System Railroads which is one of the main components of todays CSX Transportation.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline Wesley16

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 08:07:19 PM »
Bowling, a 217 avg. on wood lanes. :)

Offline Asahel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 09:10:08 PM »
Photography: Go here http://macuca.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=9 for my "Voices Of Light" portfolio.

Biking.  Chess (retired but follow games and events every now and then).
Phillippians 1:6

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 09:49:11 PM »
 Chess (retired but follow games and events every now and then).

I'm a casual chess player ...usually against the computer which is hopeless because it always wins - actually I did beat the computer ONCE.

“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline FenderJazzGuy

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass players and other musicians

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 10:00:43 PM »
Im a chess player too. Ive been playing lately at chesscube.com

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 10:07:35 PM »
Breathing. Its really fun. Yall should try it. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
you got to hear numbers

Offline Asahel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 10:19:29 PM »
I did beat Chess Master 9 at Master Level (elo 2200-2400) once and drew against Fritz several times (also at master level).  I also drew a couple of times against Crafty playing "blind".  The games are in a crashed hard drive that I never backed up but kept in the hopes of getting them back at some point.  

As much as I enjoy the game I don't have time these days to throw away so many "life hours" on a game, so I don't train anymore.  And I hate losing so much that I can't play it w/o it becoming addictive.  Training for and playing chess is one of those things that I had to give up in order to prioritize my spiritual walk.  It's an idol for me if I don't manage it.  I still have a complete collection (like over 50 books, games collections, strategy, tactics, endings, openings, etc) of chess books that I haven't gotten rid of and I hope to go over them again near a coffee table when I get older (if the Lord hasn't come back first!) and in my retirement years.

(I keep editing this...).  However I will say that chess is one of the few "happy" recollections I have about my childhood and young adult years.

Offline cordney

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • We will meet again!!!

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 02:31:18 AM »
 i play sports, lift weights and play video games...I'm a monster at Madden.
‎"It is okay to fail, it is unacceptable to become a failure"

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 08:17:30 AM »
I competed in power lifting for 15 years in the WNPF (world natural power lifting federation) my numbers were:

600 puonds in the squat
585 pounds in the dead lift
500 pounds in the bench press

I competed at a body weight of 205 pounds.

I'm currently looking for some new hobbies...  ::)
"Each One Teach One"

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 09:03:20 AM »
I'm getting into photography. Just purchased me a nikon d40 this summer to learn. To the other photographers, what's your weapon of choice for taking photos?
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 09:11:46 AM »
hobbies, im into almost anything i can get my hands on.

right now my time is occupied doing a few websites, particularly for friends to help promote their ministries. thats paid though.

i also want to get into photography, which i will invest in once i have the time (probably when i complete my music project) and i wanna take a try at shooting a movie, most likely a short film or music video for friend thats a gospel rapper. i intend to take a class in graphic design when finances and time permit doing so. a friend wanted to use some of my music in a theater production she wants to start working on, so i got a feeling i'll be involved in that to some capacity.

As for just plain activities, i play basketball and study kung fu, which are both good offsets to sitting on my butt for hours learning songs. lol.

Man, if i didnt have to work for a living. I'd be into so much.

For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline Asahel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 10:25:44 AM »
>>To the other photographers, what's your weapon of choice for taking photos?<<

Depends on the task at hand.

For portraiture, I rely on a Nikon D200 with an f/2.8 80-200 normally at 100mm and f/11 (I set the lights to give me the right exposure at that f/stop, shutter speed being irrelevant but I sync @ 1/125 most of the time).

For events I also use the D200 with a 17-55mm f/2.8.

I had a Nikon D70 that I passed on to my youngest in exchange for his N75.  That way I can have different films on different bodies to match the scene in front of me.

Now, for landscapes and nature... I rely primarily on film.  Yes, you read that right.  FILM.  Kodak Ektar 100 is almost as good as slide film.  I also do B&W (Ilford) that I process myself.  I have a Nikon N80 and a couple of N75's, with a variety of lenses.  For $2.5 get it processed at your favorite lab (no prints, just negatives) and then scan it yourself.  You can get some BARGAINS on B&H Photo (or used stuff on eBay) because people have latched on to the MEGAPIXEL wagon...  They have been sold on the notion that more megapixels means better photos and it ain't necessarily so.  Heck, I get offended when people tell me I must have a good camera because of the photos I take, and they don't know that photography isn't any different from music:  you can have the best instrument but if your playing isn't good it's not going to sound good.  It's not the instrument but the musician.  It's not your camera but your vision.  Not too long ago I watched Ed Friedland's review of the new Squier Classic Vibe basses and I'm convinced that the brand name on the headstock is not at all a more important factor in your playing than your own God-given talent and His anointing on you when you play.  Instrument quality is a good thing to have, but if I'm not mistaken, James Jamerson almost never changed strings and the neck of his bass was so warped that hardly anyone else could play it.  (I read this somewhere; I'll have to look up the reference but I'm positive I read it from a reliable source.)

To back up my claim, I have photos that my kids took with a 1 (ONE!) megapixel  and ANCIENT camera that blow people away!  (available upon demand in case someone wants to see them).

Now, when I see something that I know I'm going to go back to and that I must absolutely capture with the most fidelity possible, I use this: http://macuca.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=6&pos=2  That is a 4x5 large format camera.  I do mostly B&W landscape with it, and I also process my own film.  Go to your favorite Barnes & Noble and/or Borders, order a french-vanilla capuccino, go to the magazine section, grab a few landscape photography mags and sit down.  There's a reason why the majority of pros are *STILL* using large format film.......

If you want to get into photography I would recommend two things:
1) A camera that you can set to manual everything (aperture, shutter speed, film speed or ISO, focus).  Manual is the best way to learn how the various parameters affect the making of a photo.  I wouldn't set the camera to "Program" (one of many automatic modes) and then let the camera do everything for me.  That's not photography, that's snapshot shooting, with all respect to everyone and IMHO.
2) Get these books:
a) http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259683696&sr=8-1
b) http://www.amazon.com/Learning-See-Creatively-Composition-Photography/dp/0817441816/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259683719&sr=1-1

Remember also that your LGM fam is just a post away, so if you have any questions or need assistance please don't hesitate to ask.

Blessings,
Asahel

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 10:47:17 AM »
I'm getting into photography. Just purchased me a nikon d40 this summer to learn. To the other photographers, what's your weapon of choice for taking photos?

I just got rid of my D40 and got the D5000 for the HD video. As for lens, I have a tamron 18-200mm zoom lens. If you have the money, you may as well get the Nikon brand lens as it has VR (vibration reduction) which comes in handy, but I dont think its worth paying twice as much.

I also have the Nikkor 35mm 1.8. its faster (as designated by the 1.8 f stop (or aperture) ), so you usually wont need a flash and it gives you the ability to get a nice blurry background (DOF) like this one.

I'm still learning too, but if you need any help feel free to ask.

>>To the other photographers, what's your weapon of choice for taking photos?<<

Depends on the task at hand.

because people have latched on to the MEGAPIXEL wagon...  They have been sold on the notion that more megapixels means better photos and it ain't necessarily so.  Heck, I get offended when people tell me I must have a good camera because of the photos I take, and they don't know that photography isn't any different from music:  you can have the best instrument but if your playing isn't good it's not going to sound good.  It's not the instrument but the musician.  It's not your camera but your vision.

true. I think its kinda pointless how they are putting 12 megapixels in little tint Point and shoot cameras...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up