LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: other hobbies  (Read 5826 times)

Offline Asahel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: other hobbies
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 10:56:27 AM »
>>a nice blurry background (DOF) like this one.<<

It's called "bokeh", and yes, that is very nice bokeh on that photo.  That is a nice lens.
Phillippians 1:6

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 12:02:10 PM »
I also have the Nikkor 35mm 1.8. its faster (as designated by the 1.8 f stop (or aperture) ), so you usually wont need a flash and it gives you the ability to get a nice blurry background (DOF) like this one.

yeah, thats why i need to invest in a camera because i currently have to use Photoshop to get effects like that. and the more complex the picture, the harder and more time consuming it is to do in PS.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 12:20:59 PM »
I currently have the d40 along with the kit lens 15-55mm, and a 50mm for portraits and great bokeh. The next lens will be the 55-200mm VR that I want to use for my sons sports games and stuff. I'm really loving this camera although it's considered an introductory camera in the digital world, it takes great pictures. I still have an Olympus is-20 film camera that someone gave me. I too like B&W photos. As soon as son number 2 is born, I'm getting some more B&W of him as well. I'll have to download some of my photos onto flikr and show what I'm learning thus far.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 01:21:04 PM »
>>a nice blurry background (DOF) like this one.<<

It's called "bokeh", and yes, that is very nice bokeh on that photo.  That is a nice lens.

Thanks.

yeah, thats why i need to invest in a camera because i currently have to use Photoshop to get effects like that. and the more complex the picture, the harder and more time consuming it is to do in PS.

I still need to get photoshop. for now I just use iphoto to do basic adjustments

Since you said you wanna invest in a camera, I think the Nikon D40 is a good camera to learn on. You can find one used and in good condition for around $300, new its like 450.
I currently have the d40 along with the kit lens 15-55mm, and a 50mm for portraits and great bokeh. The next lens will be the 55-200mm VR that I want to use for my sons sports games and stuff. I'm really loving this camera although it's considered an introductory camera in the digital world, it takes great pictures. I still have an Olympus is-20 film camera that someone gave me. I too like B&W photos. As soon as son number 2 is born, I'm getting some more B&W of him as well. I'll have to download some of my photos onto flikr and show what I'm learning thus far.

Nice setup. Do you have the 50mm that autofocuses on the D40? or is it manual focus?

Instead of the 55-200 VR, I chose the Tamron 18-200....I kinda wish I had the VR but I like not having to change lenses and I wasnt paying $600 for the 18-200 VR.

My next investment is going to be the sb-600 flash...maybe in 2010

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 02:23:24 PM »
My 50mm is manual which is fine with me, because I like doing things the long or hard way first. I forgot to mention that I had the sb-600 speedlight flash. That flash works miracles. I'm hoping to find a good used vr lense because that price is kinda high.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 02:50:52 PM »
My 50mm is manual which is fine with me, because I like doing things the long or hard way first. I forgot to mention that I had the sb-600 speedlight flash. That flash works miracles. I'm hoping to find a good used vr lense because that price is kinda high.

Do you have a link to your photos?

I'm trying to decide if I should get the SB-600 or the 900. The SB-900 will let you trigger the flash wirelessly, which you cant do with the 600 on the D40/5000, so I'll need one of these http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-SC-29-synchro-terminal/dp/B00019JPRO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259696558&sr=8-1

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 04:07:18 PM »
so i guess this is Learn Gospel Photography (what would Gospel Photography be anyway? only pictures of churches and church members? lol)

but either of you know a good website where i can read up on the different specs and what they mean? sometimes these specs got me like huh, kinda like my grandmother would be lookin at TVs in best buy or something. lol.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline aaamastin

• LGM Member
  • peace be still

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 04:49:46 PM »
Im a chess player too. Ive been playing lately at chesscube.com

me too whats your name
peace be still

Offline Asahel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 05:07:10 PM »
>>so i guess this is Learn Gospel Photography (what would Gospel Photography be anyway? only pictures of churches and church members? lol)<<

:D

>>but either of you know a good website where i can read up on the different specs and what they mean? sometimes these specs got me like huh, kinda like my grandmother would be lookin at TVs in best buy or something. lol.<<

You can get current reviews of the latest digital gear at DPReview:

http://dpreview.com/

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 07:10:14 PM »
I enjoy watching movies and playing xbox 360.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 07:21:45 PM »
but either of you know a good website where i can read up on the different specs and what they mean? sometimes these specs got me like huh, kinda like my grandmother would be lookin at TVs in best buy or something. lol.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/

Offline csharp57

• LGM Member
  • Music is life!!!!

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 04:41:27 PM »
Bass Ain't no HOBBY to me!!!!!  LOL

Anyway..... I've kinda cut off doing alotta things to concentrate on learning MY CRAFT!!! ;D  But I am into motorcycles.
"He has anoited me for service"

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2009, 06:30:20 PM »
Do you have a link to your photos?

I'm trying to decide if I should get the SB-600 or the 900. The SB-900 will let you trigger the flash wirelessly, which you cant do with the 600 on the D40/5000, so I'll need one of these http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-SC-29-synchro-terminal/dp/B00019JPRO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259696558&sr=8-1

My wife just gave birth yesterday to our second son. I'll be taking pictures over the next couple of days and post some with the flash and without. We just got home today.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2009, 06:36:52 PM »
My wife just gave birth yesterday to our second son. I'll be taking pictures over the next couple of days and post some with the flash and without. We just got home today.

Congratulations

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2009, 08:01:18 PM »

Congrats, dd!

Offline Asahel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2009, 09:08:14 PM »

Congratulations!!!

Offline daripper

• LGM Member

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2009, 12:36:57 AM »
My hobbies are riding motorcycles and working out

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2009, 12:13:49 PM »
Photography (Using a Nikon N75 film SLR), Videography and most outdoor activities. Avid concert goer. Certified internet junkie!
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2009, 12:34:53 PM »
Photography (Using a Nikon N75 film SLR), Videography and most outdoor activities. Avid concert goer. Certified internet junkie!

You ever plan on getting a DSLR?

Do you develop the film yourself?

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2009, 01:19:09 PM »
You ever plan on getting a DSLR?

Do you develop the film yourself?
I do not develop the film myself. And yes, I do plan to upgrade to a DSLR next year some time. I am actually doing research on cameras now and am leaning heavily toward Canon EOS models mainly due to more accessories and options available.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up