LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The honeymoon is over  (Read 883 times)

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

The honeymoon is over
« on: November 30, 2009, 11:36:31 PM »
Nearly three months I wrote with great excitement about how I had found an inexpensive (less than $30) digital voice recorder that would allow me to transfer my recordings to my laptop via USB. The RCA VR5220 has a retractable USB connector and acts as a flash drive while also opening RCA's file management software.

That is, as long as the computer recognizes the recorder when you plug it into the USB port. Today my computer stopped doing just that. :(. I have run into retractable flash drives before and found them to be unreliable at best.

All is not lost, however. I can still record and then plug into my stereo using the recorder's headphone jack. But I can't offload the sound files so at some point I have to delete to make room for new ones. And using the recorder as a playback device will eat batteries like nobody's business.

I guess you get what you pay for. There are more expensive digital voice recorders with USB connectivity via a cable, and many will agree that the Zoom H2 is probably the best product out there and well worth its $160 or so price tag.

But I was so hoping... ::)

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: The honeymoon is over
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 12:45:09 PM »
Before you jump off a bridge, can you tell me 2 things:

What operating system are you using

Do you always plug the recorder into the exact same USB port

I may have a simple solution that will save you from buying another usb recorder.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 01:03:16 PM »
I'm going to put in a plug for Audacity.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 06:45:42 PM »
Before you jump off a bridge, can you tell me 2 things:

What operating system are you using

Do you always plug the recorder into the exact same USB port

I may have a simple solution that will save you from buying another usb recorder.

Thanks, Kev, but I'm not on suicide watch yet. ;D Please share your solution.

Windows XP, and yes I always use the same port.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 06:48:44 PM »
I'm going to put in a plug for Audacity.

Duly noted, phbrown, but Audacity is a software program which would require connection to a computer, presumably at rehearsals. With the digital voice recorder I could easily record rehearsals--not just me, but the other musicians and the choir--then transfer that .wav file onto my laptop to enhance the sound quality enough to practice with it at home.

Offline ronrector

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 07:18:04 PM »
I have a Tascam DR-1 and it works geat.  The sound quality is excellent for picking up the rehearsal and it has many features.  I can overdub on anything that i put on it, play my bass through it on top of the recording listening to it all on my head phones, turn the monitor on or off, and many other features.  They started at well over & 300 dollars a couple of years ago but is now on sale through Amazon at $180.00.  Tascam also has a new Guitar trainer which is almost identical for less but I dont know much about it.

Offline superjaay

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Real Black Power Ranger

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 06:59:56 AM »
I recently had similiar trouble with my olympus DR. I had to reload the drivers on the startup CD. Hope this helps.
jimel
Rest?, Rest when you're dead!!! Right now there's work to be done.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 12:22:30 PM »
Sometimes that happens with windows. I would plug it in another USB port. I've had similar problems with windows. That solution usually works. Or reload the drivers.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 01:09:58 PM »
Sometimes that happens with windows. I would plug it in another USB port. I've had similar problems with windows. That solution usually works. Or reload the drivers.

Been there, tried that. :). The different ports, that is.

Good news: the eBay vendor I bought the recorder from issued a return authorization for the recorder, even though the purchase was outside their 30-day warranty window.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 03:46:24 PM »
Cool I still think it may have just been a Windows problem. Could have been a system update. You could try it on another system then you will know.  That if you didn't need to install software for it or there was software on the recorder.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up