LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stanley,Victor,Marcus.. did any of you see this?  (Read 1702 times)

Offline SavnBass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Saved by GRACE .. Bass by choice

Stanley,Victor,Marcus.. did any of you see this?
« on: December 13, 2009, 01:01:26 PM »
My first time seeing it...
Thunder
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Stanley,Victor,Marcus.. did any of you see this?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 02:55:11 PM »
These are three of the best bass players around and I notice they all play a 4 string bass.....
"Each One Teach One"

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 04:48:30 PM »
Old. I've seen it. It's always nice to see 'musicians' getting together and making music.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline 6stringapprentice

• LGM Member
    • facebook

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 05:33:57 PM »
Marcus Miller = Beef "It's what's for dinner tonight"  ;D
Sounding Mathematics.

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 01:28:10 AM »
These are three of the best bass players around and I notice they all play a 4 string bass.....
Notice their all over fifty too, except victor and he might as well be.  Alot guys in that age range stick to fours. you dont really need anything more. More is nice though.
you got to hear numbers

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 06:52:53 AM »
Alot guys in that age range stick to fours......
I disagree!! In addition, Marcus and Victa both play 5's as well (although most of their work is on 4's). There are quite a lot of 50+ year olds who play 5's and 6's, me included! :)

Offline Fingers!

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 07:22:00 AM »
Alot guys in that age range stick to fours...

I disagree!! In addition, Marcus and Victa both play 5's as well (although most of their work is on 4's)...

I agree with both.  Alot guys in that age range stick to fours...  I do not think that he was being extreme, I do not think that the phrase, alot, refers to All. 

Offline Asahel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 08:15:28 AM »
I think a lot of guys in that age range play primarily fours because that's what was available when they were starting.  By the time 5'ers came along in full force these folks already had "their sound".  However, as already noted, Marcus and Victa play 5'ers, as well as Nathan East and others.  (Nathan plays 6 strings too.)

I think it's all about the extended range you get with 5'ers and 6'ers, and most importantly how you make it work for your style of music.  But, if these cats can make their 4-string axes sing, then it's all a matter of preference and not of superiority of any kind of bass.
Phillippians 1:6

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 09:13:29 AM »
I started playing in the early 70's and of course there were no extended range basses back then but I was introduced to a 5 string bass in the mid 80's and bought one of my own in 1990. It's been my go to ever since. I just sold off my last 4 string bass. Not sure if I'll get another but I am GASsing for a Stingray or Sterling bass. A 4 or 5 will do! :)

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 12:07:46 PM »
I didnt mean all.  There is andrew gouche of course who plays a monster sized mtd.  Joel Smith as well. I was saying that a good portion of guys from that age range especially those who were already proficient by the late 60's or early 70's generally dont move up to extended range.  Even when victor wooten plays a five its normally tuned eadgc and not beadg so he prolly doesnt feel that extra bottom is necesary.
you got to hear numbers

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 01:04:08 PM »
While we debate what is the first entry requirement for the 50 and over bass club, consider this: no matter how you look at it, the overwhelming majority of basses sold and played will be 4 string basses. Why? Because it is a perfectly symmetrical instrument that was made for the Circle of 4ths and 5ths. Most of the greatest bass lines known to man were created on the 4 string (with the bass line to Flashlight being the exception). I suspect that if the synthesizer had not been invented, no one would have thought they needed an extended range bass. Don't agree? Then why are the bass players always grousing about the keyboardist encroaching on their territory?

Offline Asahel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 02:32:51 PM »
...consider this: no matter how you look at it, the overwhelming majority of basses sold and played will be 4 string basses.

BassPlayer Magazine's Bass Player Poll has the 4-string jazz bass at 41% (out of 1266 responses as of 12/16/09 3:31 EST) as the bass to have if you could only have one bass.

See it here:  http://www.bassplayer.com/
Phillippians 1:6

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 02:47:06 PM »
Well 1266 responses doesn't even remotely touch on the bass community as a whole! That's just a drop in the bucket. I'd be willing to bet at least 50% (of the whole bass community) or more would choose a 5 string if they could only own one bass. I agree with the Jazz bass part though. That would be my choice. A 5 string jazz bass. I love my JO5! :)

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 04:42:12 PM »
Thats my next purchases although it may be a four cuz they are cheaper.
you got to hear numbers
Pages: [1]   Go Up