LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Brand of bass guitar for gospel music  (Read 13307 times)

Offline Asahel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Best Brand of bass guitar for gospel music
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 09:38:47 PM »
My best advice for a beginning player is... learn how to play first! It is only now that I have discovered that technique has far more influence on your playing than the instrument. If you don't know how a bridge will affect your sound, don't upgrade. I know "you get more sustain"; but how does sustain integrate into your sound? Or better, how is the lack of sustain affecting your sound? Do you play based on what you see or what you hear? It might seem like an obvious question; answer this, why do so many bassists look at their hands while they play?

+1.  After my initial GAS attack (and he who has never fallen for this sin, cast the first stone), I am now staying put with what I have.  I came to the same conclusion: my playing has to come first.  I still feel that I got a great deal 'cause I got two very good introductory basses for less than $600 (Classic Vibe 60's Jazz and Affinity Jazz V).  And the bridge on the classic vibe had problems with intonation on the d string so the BA II really helped.  I say more sustain allows your notes to breathe more... w/o it they just die too quick.  This is how I perceived it at the time.  I was able to note/feel the difference and my approach to practicing changed; my attack on certain notes changed; dynamics changed, what comes out of my amp changed.

But as you say, when all is said and done, it is your playing what counts.  So now I have clamped down on any new purchases; I feel that I don't need anything else at the moment.  I continue to practice like crazy (avg of 2-4 hrs daily, sometimes 6+ hrs daily during weekends) and absorbing as much material as I can.  I religiously go through Todd Johnson's technique builders exercises everyday as part of my routine warmup.  I then follow that up with another 1/2 hr of Bass Fitness exercises, then scales, then reading and theory.  At the end of my day I squeeze in some slapping and I have been doing some transcribing lately.  When my son is playing his guitar I pick up my bass and try to follow his changes.  I do hope to come up with my first video (hopefully before the end of the year) for you folks to critique (note that I'm not saying "crucify"  :D )  I've been playing now for eight months, starting from zero musical background.

I envisioned myself playing Fenders when I grew up musically, and the Squire line allows me to get used to the Fender geometry at a very modest price.  But if I can't rock the gear I now have there's no sense shelling out the big bucks for the American made Fenders in the future.  My work is cut out for me.  Hopefully I'm up for the task, with the Lord's help.

Asahel
Phillippians 1:6

Offline SavnBass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Saved by GRACE .. Bass by choice

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 07:20:32 AM »

My best advice for a beginning player is... learn how to play first! It is only now that I have discovered that technique has far more influence on your playing than the instrument. If you don't know how a bridge will affect your sound, don't upgrade. I know "you get more sustain"; but how does sustain integrate into your sound? Or better, how is the lack of sustain affecting your sound? Do you play based on what you see or what you hear? It might seem like an obvious question; answer this, why do so many bassists look at their hands while they play?

This is so true... and also... take it from someone who went all around Dick's hatband to get where he is.. (and I'm still a relative noob.. ::) There are no shortcuts...
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 01:23:22 PM »
I look down every once in a while when im doing a run or chord or something. but as far as looking down all the time no. You should be watching the leader not your hands.  Practice that at home though not at church.  It could sound a mess.
you got to hear numbers

Offline twest45

• LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 09:38:50 PM »
The best is the most expensive one.  See if you can find a $6000 Paval.  Anything less is not worth your time..........................LOL!!!!

Just joking!!! There is no "BEST" per say.  It's all up to you.  I've played a MTD and and Ken Smith.  They're nice but my Yamaha TRB6 felt just as nice.  I do want a Ken Smith or Paval on day but it's not because they're that much better.  Honestly, 75% is because of the name.  I know when I pull those bad boys out heads will turn!!!  LOL!!!  Yeah, I know I should be playing to glorify God but I'm just being honest.  Just go to a music store try some out.  Ibanez is a very good bass.  If you go used you can get more for your money.
GO HARD!

Offline Asahel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 09:26:05 AM »
It might seem like an obvious question; answer this, why do so many bassists look at their hands while they play?

I found the following article very interesting:

http://www.activebass.com/a50--Note-Reading-Fingering-System-For-Electric-Bass

BTW, I've watched some videos of Marcus Miller, and Victor Wooten, and they do look at the fretboard very frequently.  Is that a sign of poor musicianship?  'cause it seems to me those two are pretty successful at what they do...

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 11:08:31 AM »
I found the following article very interesting:

http://www.activebass.com/a50--Note-Reading-Fingering-System-For-Electric-Bass

BTW, I've watched some videos of Marcus Miller, and Victor Wooten, and they do look at the fretboard very frequently.  Is that a sign of poor musicianship?  'cause it seems to me those two are pretty successful at what they do...

Looking at the fretboard is not bad.  Not being able to play without staring at the fretboard is whats bad.  Especially when you are supposed to be following the leader.  Victor and Marcus are not always playing for some one else so when they are soloing the have they luxury of not having to look at anyone.  They have the ability to play without looking.  They just dont have too.  Victor often plays with his eyes closed.
you got to hear numbers

Offline Asahel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2009, 11:29:41 AM »
True.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2009, 12:38:08 PM »
usually when u wanna make huge jumps u sometimes look at where u want to go. thats what i do. but i dont have stare at the fretboard. after a while u get the feel of where things are.

some people hear what they're playing, as in sliding to a note, u can hear where to stop. but just jumping say from the 5th fret to the 19th fret to do a particular movement, u have nothing to hear until you play the note, which could be right or wrong. i wouldnt take that risk. i get my eyes fixed on the particular location i wanna go, and when im ready, my hand will go righ there.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2009, 12:46:23 PM »
usually when u wanna make huge jumps u sometimes look at where u want to go. thats what i do. but i dont have stare at the fretboard. after a while u get the feel of where things are.

some people hear what they're playing, as in sliding to a note, u can hear where to stop. but just jumping say from the 5th fret to the 19th fret to do a particular movement, u have nothing to hear until you play the note, which could be right or wrong. i wouldnt take that risk. i get my eyes fixed on the particular location i wanna go, and when im ready, my hand will go righ there.

well said my friend....well said
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2009, 01:27:14 PM »
Great conversation. I love talking about anything related to the bass guitar, but get frustrated when conversations like this boil down to who has the most expensive bass. I'm like the direction this thread is going.

When I was "gassing" for the best bass I could afford, I did so because I kept seeing people playing these amazing lines and assumed that the ease and facility of their performance had a lot to do with the instrument and not the player themselves. Then I came across this video by Danny Morris called, "Essential Rock Grooves". The dude would show you the line he had chosen for a performance, then you would see him playing a live performance. For about a 5 minute stretch he played all up and down the neck without once looking at the fretboard. About the last 30 secs, he closed his eyes and played a run from the 5th fret to 19th fret. When I saw that, the two things that stood out for me was"

dude practices ALOT
He REALLY KNOWS his instrument.

Not "I know how to play bass", but I know every single millimeter of my bass and we are one.

That's when I realized that if I wanted play at any level of proficiency, I need to put some serious time in and I need to get a decent bass and stick with it. No more "flavor of the month". No more "trade in and trade up".

Coming back to the OPs topic, the best bass is the one that you connect with on a very personal level, that coaxes you into practicing for "10 more minutes", that provokes you to tighten up your timing so you can lock with the drummer, the bass that makes you take care of it so it will always play at its best.

Its kinda hard to put a brand name on this bass. Someone said earlier to go to every place you can find a bass and play them all until you find the bass meant for you. I went through about 10 basses until I found the one that ended my quest. So I invite the OP to just keep playing different basses until you find the one for you. If you do otherwise, you will only be playing somebody else dream bass.

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2009, 01:41:56 PM »
try playing in shapes and intervals instead of thinking of notes as well.  Especially if you stay in the pocket. You should never have to look at your bass.  Even if you do runs and what not. If the run is based off of a concept such an arpeggiated chord and you know the shape you can do the run and go up and them do it backwards and come right down and you be in the same postion you started in.  These are just some approaches to playing that may help you not have to look as much.  Instead of thinking 7th fret then 5th fret then 3rd fret. Think 6-5-4 in D.  Memorizing intervals simplify almost every aspect of music. 
you got to hear numbers
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up