LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What gear set up....Joey  (Read 1537 times)

Offline axeman1

• LGM Member
  • No weapon means.....N-O-O-O WEAPON!!!!

What gear set up....Joey
« on: December 13, 2009, 11:34:02 PM »
What equipment, settings, etc do you think Joey Woolfalk is playing with here?  Especially the 'weeping distortion' sound, for lack of a better way to describe it. 

Lord you Reign

I mainly play with a Schecter Diamond series guitar modified with SD's and a Classic 30.  I know this is a far cry lesser quality than whatever Joey is playing with, but what pedal would you combine with my gear and what settings would you suggest to come closest to that sound? 

Some of the pedals I currently have are Danelectro Transparent Overdrive, Boss DS-1, Boss AW-3 wah pedal, Boss CS-3 compression sustainer and various others.  Will any of these or combination do the trick or should I invest in another pedal? 
I am what God says I am, no less and no more.

Offline thefunkystrummer

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: What gear set up....Joey
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 06:55:11 PM »
The sound quality of the clip makes it pretty hard to get a detailed account of anything tone-wise. However, the sound of the guitar doesn't appear to be anything too difficult or expensive to achieve with regard to equipment. I hear a basic clean and a basic marshall-esque type high gain distortion at times.

From what you've listed, the quality of your equipment isn't an issue. You have some great gear. However, if you like high gain distortion, the "type" of gear your have may be an issue.

Your Boss DS-1 and CS-3 combined might get you there. However, the Peavey Classic 30 doesn't pack much punch in the area of high gain distortion. If you like higher gain distortions you might want to consider a multi-channel amp that has a preamp section designed for that sort of thing. The Classic 30 is not such an amp. Also, with the right preamp or distortion pedal, EQ will play a significant role in shaping the sound you want.

The Boss Metal Zone pedal might give you decent high gain results in front of a cleaner amp like the Classic 30. I've never used one. However, I'm sure someone around here could advise you on that.
Play well and prosper...

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 08:46:32 PM »
if you just run a boost or a TS808 type thing in front of the Classic 30's dirt channel you should be able to get there. i think a metal-zone type pedal would be overkill...

Offline thefunkystrummer

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:36:52 PM »
if you just run a boost or a TS808 type thing in front of the Classic 30's dirt channel you should be able to get there. i think a metal-zone type pedal would be overkill...

Good call... Saturating/driving the dirty channel with an overdrive/distortion pedal will probably work. Joe Satriani used to do this using a Boss DS-1 in front of his Marshall amp dirty channel. Seems to have worked well for him =). Your DS-1 (or a tube screamer) should do the trick. I think the DS-1 might give you a bit more flexibility in terms how far you can take your gain.

I use a similar technique with a compressor (instead of OD or distortion) to push a slightly broken up preamp. I get a really glassy, smooth overdrive that I love.
Play well and prosper...

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 07:14:06 AM »

Maybe (just maybe) at lower distortion settings, a Metal Zone (or similar pedal) might get you there.  Otherwise, I'd stick with the DS-1/CS-3.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 09:11:58 AM »
I find my Classic 30 to be super versatile. If you run the right boost or OD to the lead channel (boost button on the amp off-always...) you can even get into a big muff territory.

I highly suggest a speaker swap in that thing, though. Something darker like a vintage 30, etc.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 11:23:49 AM »
A speaker swap in any Peavey Classic is a MUST, imho.
Which reminds me...I need to do the 2 10"s in my Delta Blues.

Avoid the DS-1 and Metal Zone. Both are tone-sucking pedals unless they're modified. When stock, they tend to kill the low end and add a bunch of buzziness to the mids and highs. There are mod kits available all over for them and with good reason: they need help.

I'll throw a plug out there for my Bixonic Expandora. In 30 years of playing I've never heard a better stock od/dist pedal and it's among one of the best pieces of gear I've ever purchased.

Everything else is technique. After all, tone is in the fingers...  ;D
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 12:25:18 PM »

Avoid the DS-1 and Metal Zone. Both are tone-sucking pedals unless they're modified. When stock, they tend to kill the low end and add a bunch of buzziness to the mids and highs. There are mod kits available all over for them and with good reason: they need help.

Everything else is technique. After all, tone is in the fingers...  ;D

JayP150 can mod your DS-1 if you have one.  He modded mine and it's nice!!!

But dave is right.  Tone is definately in the fingers...

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 12:35:35 PM »

I modded my DS-1 a while back, but I have to revisit it as one of the mods added way too much squish to it.
I got the low end boosted and the distortion sound is nasty...good nasty...but it compresses way too much of the signal, so I'll pull out the schematic soon and correct that.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 01:17:26 PM »

Not to take any business opportunities away from our beloved JayP  ;),  but Monte Allums also offers a series of mods for Boss and other pedals.  I used to chat whith him quite a bit as we were both members of the "Strat" Yahoogroup.  He's a brother in Christ too.

Monte Allums
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 02:28:23 PM »
Not to take any business opportunities away from our beloved JayP   ;)

Then don't.... :D j/k

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 03:44:51 PM »
Lol, my turn around time is pretty poor right now anyhow LOL

Dave, is that Expandora for sale yet? :)

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 04:16:22 PM »
Lol, my turn around time is pretty poor right now anyhow LOL

Dave, is that Expandora for sale yet? :)

Never!  >:(

:)

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 05:06:45 PM »
i am by no means pedal snob...i don't use them very much, especially gain pedals. my thing with all the modding is, by the time you mod a 50-60 dollar pedal to the point where you think it sounds good...couldn't you have bought a better pedal??

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 05:10:34 PM »
What equipment, settings, etc do you think Joey Woolfalk is playing with here?  Especially the 'weeping distortion' sound, for lack of a better way to describe it. 

Lord you Reign

I mainly play with a Schecter Diamond series guitar modified with SD's and a Classic 30.  I know this is a far cry lesser quality than whatever Joey is playing with, but what pedal would you combine with my gear and what settings would you suggest to come closest to that sound? 

Some of the pedals I currently have are Danelectro Transparent Overdrive, Boss DS-1, Boss AW-3 wah pedal, Boss CS-3 compression sustainer and various others.  Will any of these or combination do the trick or should I invest in another pedal? 

Addressing the main topic...idk  (lol, I suck a setups)

Is there a way I can find a recording of this song?  Its it on iTunes or something?

EDIT:  The chord pattern for the chorus in this song is one of my favorites!  It's found in a bunch of songs like, "Again I Say Rejoice" by Israel (where he sings "again I say, again I say rejoice!")

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 05:29:20 PM »
i am by no means pedal snob...i don't use them very much, especially gain pedals. my thing with all the modding is, by the time you mod a 50-60 dollar pedal to the point where you think it sounds good...couldn't you have bought a better pedal??

Possibly, but "better" is subjective and for some modding is easier/more desirable than buying.
Not all mods to a DS-1 will suit everyone, but they might make it a very unique pedal for the user and it's equal might not be available for sale over-the-counter.
For me, if I were in the market for a distortion pedal today, I wouldn't look at one Boss pedal at all. Digitech, maybe, but more than likely I'd start looking at the boutiques  (Keeley, et al) and semi-boutiques (Guyatone) before most of the mass producers.

Offline destes

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 06:33:48 PM »
  joey plays through a jc-120 , he is using one in this video

Offline axeman1

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 09:42:44 PM »
I find my Classic 30 to be super versatile. If you run the right boost or OD to the lead channel (boost button on the amp off-always...) you can even get into a big muff territory.

I highly suggest a speaker swap in that thing, though. Something darker like a vintage 30, etc.

I'm going to try that.  Thanks

Offline axeman1

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 10:18:52 PM »
A speaker swap in any Peavey Classic is a MUST, imho.
Which reminds me...I need to do the 2 10"s in my Delta Blues.

I'll throw a plug out there for my Bixonic Expandora. In 30 years of playing I've never heard a better stock od/dist pedal and it's among one of the best pieces of gear I've ever purchased.

Have not liked the sound of the DS-1 ever since I first bought it.  Thought about modding it (per Jlynn's instructions) but thought, ehhh....never mind, I'll just buy a better pedal.  But honestly, for the church I play at and the music we play, rarely is there a time where I felt distortion would sound fitting.  However, I have been feeling the need to expand my style a little and prepare for playing in different venues when the opportunities arise.

I'm going to check out the Bixonic. 

"Tone is in the fingers"

How did I know you would say that.   ;D ;D  :'(  ;D ;D

Pages: [1]   Go Up