LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spiritual Warfare in the Music Ministry  (Read 17120 times)

Offline Lildrummaboy66

• LGM Member
  • F L O R I D A G A T O R S

Re: Spiritual Warfare in the Music Ministry
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 12:41:44 AM »
Imma kind of suprise yall with my response:

While I believe in the concept of spiritual warfare and think that it is a biblical truth, I'm not totally on the bandwagon believing that the reason why there is so much "hell" in the music ministry is because of spiritual warfare.

Here's my take on it: A lot of the problems that happen in music ministry involve arguing over stuff that doesn't matter, people not staying in their lane (too many chiefs and not enough indians), and (because many people view the pastor as the head hauncho) the lack of the pastor intervening on these issues for the sake of trying to stay out of choir business or for the sake of having a good music ministry.

Also a lot of these issues stem from the reality that the church wants their music right (as in secular music). It seems like the music ministries where perfecting music is not as big of a deal are the ones with less drama. I'm not saying that we shouldn't strive for excellence but I feel like because we emphasize so much stuff that God probably isn't concerned about, we have more drama.
Another heavy issue is dress. There will be arguments in church over whether the choir should wear black or red. I've said here on LGM before and my opinion is very left field but I actually disagree with choirs having to dress uniform. I don't understand why we can't just let people wear what they want to wear to sing in the choir and that be it. I mean at the end of the day, what will matter most on Sunday morning (or whenever the choir sings) is if souls were saved, people were ministered to, and people leaving the church empowered to serve. That's what matters!!!

Third, many believe that the pastor is the head of the local church and only will respect the authority of the pastor. I feel like if the pastor gets more involved with the issues of the music ministry and sets guidelines then maybe there wouldn't be so many issues. Sorry to make this long but in my 5-6 years playing for churches I have seen these issues and to me it's ridiculous!
Co-sign!
He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2009, 10:09:18 PM »
Also a lot of these issues stem from the reality that the church wants their music right (as in secular music). It seems like the music ministries where perfecting music is not as big of a deal are the ones with less drama. I'm not saying that we shouldn't strive for excellence but I feel like because we emphasize so much stuff that God probably isn't concerned about, we have more drama.

Having been in a ministry where perfecting music is not a big deal (or as big a deal as others) I can tell you there is still drama.  When people in the ministry I was in would say, "Well it doesn't have to be perfect," they were just making up for the fact that it was the weekend and they didn't want to be there.  They'd practice a song, it would sound like crap, they would do better but since "it doesn't have to be perfect" they're not going to.  Then again there are probably some churches that say, "Ok, so *this* is perfection.  We're going to get as close to that as possible.  If after we've done the best that we can we don't reach that then it's okay.  It gives us something to strive for." I would LOVE to be in a ministry like that!

Third, many believe that the pastor is the head of the local church and only will respect the authority of the pastor. I feel like if the pastor gets more involved with the issues of the music ministry and sets guidelines then maybe there wouldn't be so many issues. Sorry to make this long but in my 5-6 years playing for churches I have seen these issues and to me it's ridiculous!

I think if the Pastor gives someone else leadership over a ministry the members answer to that leader first and foremost when it comes to the ministry.  Someone saying, "Well I only listen to the Pastor" is just being rebellious.  If the Pastor, ultimately, wants to make the rules and have other people carry them out then fine, but he shouldn't have to head the ministry because a few people don't know how to submit.

churchyreal

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 07:49:48 PM »

I think if the Pastor gives someone else leadership over a ministry the members answer to that leader first and foremost when it comes to the ministry.  Someone saying, "Well I only listen to the Pastor" is just being rebellious.  If the Pastor, ultimately, wants to make the rules and have other people carry them out then fine, but he shouldn't have to head the ministry because a few people don't know how to submit.

Ok I see what you're saying but I still feel like when the pastor says something everyone listens and does it without questioning but when a leader of a ministry says something it's not seen as important. I just feel like if we're going to continue to believe that the Pastor is the head hauncho then to me the Pastor has to step up and basically tell exactly what he/she wants and how he/she wants it. I agree with you that there is rebellion if one is only open to listening to the pastor and no one else but I feel like the pastor's authority is the most respected and obeyed authority in the church, especially churches small to medium size. I would argue that the dynamics change as you become a bigger church as there are more leaders below the pastor and the pastor is not possibly able to dictate every single thing directly.

Offline kashawn

• LGM Member
  • ~!J@ZZY!~

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2009, 10:16:31 AM »
I F33L U ON THIS ONE!! :)
~!Blessed by th3 B3ST!~
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up