LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: .:: Okay....Another Theory Question ::.  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

.:: Okay....Another Theory Question ::.
« on: December 18, 2009, 09:02:25 AM »
Alright....now I asked a question about chords in another post, now this question is about using scales when filling in. Now let's say you are in the key of again a simple Cmaj.....let's say the keyboardist is holding or just played let's say a Emin chord and you to put a fill in bringing you in to your next bass note (after you applied your bass note for the chord) if using a scale as a fill would you use the scale corresponding to the key the song is in or the note or root of the chord that is being played, or the scale of the note that you are approaching??? Thanks a lot guys, you have been excellent help so far!!!!

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

Re: .:: Okay....Another Theory Question ::.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 10:25:52 AM »
You can do both but dont over think everything.  There are limitless ways to approach fills and runs so you dont want to get stuck in saying thats how you do a run.  Play around and discover new concepts and approaches.  Dont rely to heavily on thinking i play this scale in this situation and this scale here.  Scales help you make fills and runs, but if you just use scales your playing can sound very limited.  A great concept that i always suggest is using chord arpeggio's .  But not in a Cmaj arpeggio over the Cmaj chord although that works too.  Try to using arpeggios from different scale degrees over different chords.  say over an A minor chord I would then arpeggio a Cmaj chord to make a run.  I do that one to much.  Or over the six or Aminor I arpeggio the first three notes of the A minor then move into a run based off the Fmaj chord or four.  Just play around.  It'll be easier to implement ideas you figure out on your own than ideas we give but these are samples to get your head going. 
Have fun man.
you got to hear numbers

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 10:40:19 AM »
You can do both but dont over think everything.  There are limitless ways to approach fills and runs so you dont want to get stuck in saying thats how you do a run.  Play around and discover new concepts and approaches.  Dont rely to heavily on thinking i play this scale in this situation and this scale here.  Scales help you make fills and runs, but if you just use scales your playing can sound very limited.  A great concept that i always suggest is using chord arpeggio's .  But not in a Cmaj arpeggio over the Cmaj chord although that works too.  Try to using arpeggios from different scale degrees over different chords.  say over an A minor chord I would then arpeggio a Cmaj chord to make a run.  I do that one to much.  Or over the six or Aminor I arpeggio the first three notes of the A minor then move into a run based off the Fmaj chord or four.  Just play around.  It'll be easier to implement ideas you figure out on your own than ideas we give but these are samples to get your head going. 
Have fun man.

Ohhhh.....okay so I should just basically look at scales as a reference?? Does that make sense??

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 10:51:38 AM »
Ohhhh.....okay so I should just basically look at scales as a reference?? Does that make sense??

In a word, yes.... :)

-J

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 11:29:38 AM »
*DISCLAIMER: I am not an expert in this matter*

In the end the only thing that matters is does it sound good to your ear.

So lock into the drummer, understand where the keyboard player is going and play some good sounding notes.

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 12:15:10 PM »
*DISCLAIMER: I am not an expert in this matter*

In the end the only thing that matters is does it sound good to your ear.

So lock into the drummer, understand where the keyboard player is going and play some good sounding notes.

Yep...that's basically it, but you did forget 1 very key ingredient at the end.  You MUST be able to make the stank face whenever applicable.  Examples below:

-J

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 02:53:31 PM »
Yep...that's basically it, but you did forget 1 very key ingredient at the end.  You MUST be able to make the stank face whenever applicable.  Examples below:

-J

thats quality %92 STANK.
you got to hear numbers

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 06:52:02 AM »

-J

ROFL!!!!! Hahahaha

Offline ericmknight

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 06:53:09 AM »

Alright....now I asked a question about chords in another post, now this question is about using scales when filling in. Now let's say you are in the key of again a simple Cmaj.....let's say the keyboardist is holding or just played let's say a Emin chord and you to put a fill in bringing you in to your next bass note (after you applied your bass note for the chord) if using a scale as a fill would you use the scale corresponding to the key the song is in or the note or root of the chord that is being played, or the scale of the note that you are approaching??? Thanks a lot guys, you have been excellent help so far!!!!

If I understand your question correctly, Chords consist of notes from scales (1,3,5,7,etc). So the notes that you use to enforce the chords of the keyboardist should come from the key that the song is in. If your keyboardist plays a Cmaj chord (1,3,5,) then you should be able to play those notes and most of the in-between notes within the Cmaj scale.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 03:09:06 PM »

-J

man you are a mess!!!

I still don't know how I ended up making that face...lolol!
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline Bullitt

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 10:10:57 AM »
man you are a mess!!!

I still don't know how I ended up making that face...lolol!

LOL!!!!  I can't even remember which vid I got that screen shot from but it was hilarious!

-J

Pages: [1]   Go Up