LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2010 Progress Report  (Read 1950 times)

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

2010 Progress Report
« on: January 08, 2010, 12:19:14 PM »
Just a place to post your progress. It may motivate someone to see the progress of someone else.

I have been practicing bass consistantly since Christmas. I don't practice everyday but I fiddle around while watching tv. I've gotten better. I don't have a practice routine right now. I just try to play songs in my head. When I get tired I move to something else. Also fiddling with guitar. Doing alot of fiddling. lol Piano and drums also. I make get more routine if I can stuck to it.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: 2010 Progress Report
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 12:40:07 PM »
Though I started before the new year, I am happy with keeping to the following goals:

Daily Goals:
Complete 5 exercises from Bass Chopz Accelerator
Play through CCM Worship song.

Weekly Goal:
Learn bassline to new song each week
Play bassline I know in a different style (from R&B style to Salsa style)

Ongoing Goal
Transcribe basslines from favorite songs (Currently working on bassline from "I'll Praise Him", by Maurette Brown Clark)

Offline FenderP

• LGM Member
  • 1 Tim 1:15-16

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 01:40:21 PM »
I decided to actually learn the fretboard (rotten tabs LOL) but I've false started already.  I first had the idea that I'd learn where all the notes are one at a time (i.e.  all the As, then once I have them down all the Bs, etc.) but, that didn't work out so well.

Last night I decided to see if practicing arpeggios over and over will do it.  When I get home tonight I'll see how much stuck from last night.
I'd rather you offend me with the truth than appease me with a lie.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 10:26:45 PM »
I still haven't gotten everything going with posting video but it would be nice to post weekly or monthly progress. For example I play a few songs now then post the ame songs in a few months.

Offline ladybass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My Bass Grooves

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 04:07:10 PM »
I've gotten behind in my practice routines since new family happenings (I'm a grandmother now and a mother-n-law) over the last few months or so.  I'm getting back on track now with all the wonderful things I've learned at Bass Boot Camps and am trying to learn some of David Dyson's licks.

@Mysteryman ... good to see you're back on that bass.  ;D

Offline ladybass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My Bass Grooves

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 04:10:27 PM »
I decided to actually learn the fretboard (rotten tabs LOL) but I've false started already.  I first had the idea that I'd learn where all the notes are one at a time (i.e.  all the As, then once I have them down all the Bs, etc.) but, that didn't work out so well.

Last night I decided to see if practicing arpeggios over and over will do it.  When I get home tonight I'll see how much stuck from last night.

Anthony Wellington teaches the technique of learning where all the notes are as you described in your 1st paragraph.  Did you get that idea from him?  The way he teaches it is that you start with your G string and play all the Gs from highest to lowest on the E string.  He said to stick with that note for a week or so until you know your Gs then move to the next note.  This is another thing I'm getting back on track with.

Offline FenderP

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 04:18:13 PM »
Anthony Wellington teaches the technique of learning where all the notes are as you described in your 1st paragraph.  Did you get that idea from him?  The way he teaches it is that you start with your G string and play all the Gs from highest to lowest on the E string.  He said to stick with that note for a week or so until you know your Gs then move to the next note.  This is another thing I'm getting back on track with.

I didn't get it from AW but I didn't consider sticking with just the one note until I had it down before moving to the next.  Thanks for pointing that out, ladybass.

I think I may go and try that in addition to the arpeggios.  The arpeggios help to build my stamina as well so the two methods may go well together.

Offline FenderP

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 04:23:23 PM »
I didn't get it from AW but I didn't consider sticking with just the one note until I had it down before moving to the next.  Thanks for pointing that out, ladybass.

I think I may go and try that in addition to the arpeggios.  The arpeggios help to build my stamina as well so the two methods may go well together.

Oops.  I meant DID consider sticking with just the one note . . .

Sorry.  Is there an edit button?

Offline ladybass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My Bass Grooves

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 04:31:14 PM »
Oops.  I meant DID consider sticking with just the one note . . .

Sorry.  Is there an edit button?

I don't see an edit button ... I think there used to be one available for loyal (paying) members.

With the whole one note thingy, it gets kinda boring.  I tried to make it a lil interesting by playing along with a drum machine and mixing up the notes between strings ... I like your idea of arpeggios over those notes too

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 05:12:14 PM »
>Insert Hug<
Hey LB good to see you stop through. Family takes up alot of time for sure. I was up your way last year. Pretty much had my bass sitting as long as I have not spoke with you. :)

I practiced a simple song in every key last night. Go a long way to go.  :P I was trying to do God Wants a Yes but that's a little rough. I think I will stick to this four string for now. I played bass lines on my acoustic guitar this week. I plan to work on a few scales and fiddle some more in all keys.

Offline Kelz-Da-Basshead

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 09:57:49 AM »
Im working on playing key bass better this year. Diversifying my licks and runs on keys to be as good as bass.
you got to hear numbers

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 09:47:41 AM »
Haven't been able to practice as much as I want this week but I've been stirred up enough to where I almost don't want to go to work. lol I want to practice my instruments. I'm working on using all 10 fingers to play. You probably wonder why but I've found that it transfers to all instruments. When I get off bass on to keyboard my fingers and chording always seem stronger. It works either way. I figure I might as well get the maximum benefit. If my feet could play bass I would use them too. lol I've got a good bit of inspiration from these guys.
1 Branson Guitar, Gospel, Jim Greeninger, Swing Low

BILLY SHEEHAN - ADVANCED BASS

I was just praticing permutations last night. Just taking it slow with know rush. I'm not trying to get injured. :)

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 04:15:37 PM »
Nothing much going on this week with bass. Everyone seems to be pulling at my time. Not to pleased with that but I am still practicing 5 finger permutations. I am still switching back and forth between instruments. Practiced keys last night and then bass. Working more on finger independence and speed.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 09:38:59 PM »
I am back playing with my college's Jazz Ensemble. Sight reading is getting a workout! :)

Offline billostech

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Mark 11:24
    • Open Systems Technology Services

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 02:17:26 AM »
I am just getting started on the bass and I try to do the following:

Every Morning: 5 string
Practice Scales. My stamina and coordination is improving.

Every Evening: 4 string
Practice using Fender B-Dec 30: 5 Trainer Loops (increasing tempo and key changes) and 5 Performance Loops
I am learning to exercise restraint, by playing only what is written. I am becoming more aware of musical changes and how simple altering the rhythm can enhance those changes.

Ongoing Goal
Learning the fretboard.
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 08:32:45 AM »
Not sure I'm ready for the bass sight reading yet. :)

I've been practicing on the four string last night doing permutations of the shout line with the 5 finger technique. Ofcourse I can play faster with two fingers but last night I pulled the six string off the shelf. :) Usually it seems harder to play and stay on but it was very easy after doing those exercises on the four string. I did the same exercises pretty cleanly. I'm running my basses through a small guitar amp so you can hear everything. I could play permutations for hours knowing I can transfer finger dexterity to keyboard.  I've been using fingers on both hands in sync. Index with index... Pinky with pinky.

Offline Asahel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 11:46:53 AM »
I continue to be fully immersed in the process of learning; I have been at it for nine months.

I divide my weekly routine as follows:
2 days for scales, arpeggios, intervals and transcribing.  
3 days for theory, sight reading, styles, etc, etc
2 days (mostly weekends) to practice with Band In A Box

I try to learn all theory on my 5-string Affinity Jazz.  I also use my 5-string for anything that needs to low B of course.  For things like "Bass Fitness" (an exercise book by Joaquin des Pres, and BTW, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!  I'm almost through with it the first time but will continue over and over again), slap/funk and Latin Jazz I use my 4-string Classic Vibe.  I pretty much feel at ease with both my 5-string and 4-string basses.  I have also been learning pick-style, and for that I use an old Ibanez 4-string P-bass.

The daily routine/workout varies but I always try to start with warmups.  I have been doing finger stretches.  I am learning my scales/modes the way Adam Nitti recommends by singing them and internalizing their sounds:

I put in on average about 2-4 hrs of practice daily.  Just finished transcribing my first song start to finish; the backing bass line for Victor Wooten's Yinin' and Yangin'.  I've been working on some Tobey Mac, Group 1 Crew (my kids listen to it), more smooth jazz by Acoustic Alchemy and others, and a few gospel songs.  I need to learn how to record, make a video, and use my recording instead of the camera's audio.  As soon as I do that I will be posting for critique and recommendations.

At my age, this is not a race, although you all can tell when I want to learn something I'm very serious about it.  Have been asking the Lord to bless me in this effort and to open a door where I can play at church.  I want to worship Him with all my heart.

All that, plus helping my wife homeschool our kids (I'm more like the social worker that gets involved whenever there are "behavioral issues"  ;D or for tutoring).  And looking for a job since mine ended last December.

So, my plate is full, and I will continue to give it my all and trust fully in the God of my salvation.

Asahel
Phillippians 1:6

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 01:48:41 PM »
Thanks for reminding me of something I forgot to do. Ear training.
Pages: [1]   Go Up