LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: INCOME IDEAS  (Read 1621 times)

Offline MsB3

• LGM Member
  • Its all about JESUS

INCOME IDEAS
« on: January 19, 2010, 06:29:49 PM »
Hello everyone! I am wondering if anyone knows of any good ideas for a musician to earn extra income! I have a job and im also the church's musican! But i need an increase!! ;).. what are some things that i might want to look into (musically)?? Thanks in advance
GOSH24 -YOUTUBE

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Re: INCOME IDEAS
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 06:39:42 PM »
play for weddings and funerals. Also play for a Seventh day adventist church on Saturdays.

Offline JoanHall

• LGM Member
    • My gospel choir web pages

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 06:44:54 PM »
My musician buddy picks up income certain times of year as a mall musician.  He plays at Macy's during the Christmas season and on a few other occasions.  Also, several churches in the area who have less experienced musicians will call him to play for them when they have concerts or special events.

You can also teach lessons (requires a lot of patience).

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 11:47:32 AM »
Those are great ways to make more income. If you dont play every Sunday you could play at another church. Also some churches have afternoon services. If you live in NY you could easily gain income setting up on the street. lol I would do it. Special occassions and services are the easiest. You need to get business cards made up. I did at one time. I put them in businesses and received calls soon after. Mostly for small churches needing permanent musicians or someone just starting out. lol

Not that you come to church to promote you but you have to sell yourself whenever you play. It doesn't have to be fancy or you don't have to do alot but you have to set youself apart from the rest. I somewhat play like I'm putting on a performance at times. Not to be seen but I use the dynamics of music to express myself meaning I'm not just someone banging away on the keys or trying to play something hot. If a person wants a classy wedding they are not going to ask a musican that's always playing loud. People notice. When you perform out side of church be prepared and give them a show. lol This is when you want to sell yourself the most. You can do this by having a large repetoire of selections to play.

Other than that I would get a partime as a tipped employee.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 12:21:57 PM »
Those are great ways to make more income. If you dont play every Sunday you could play at another church. Also some churches have afternoon services. If you live in NY you could easily gain income setting up on the street. lol I would do it. Special occassions and services are the easiest. You need to get business cards made up. I did at one time. I put them in businesses and received calls soon after. Mostly for small churches needing permanent musicians or someone just starting out. lol

Not that you come to church to promote you but you have to sell yourself whenever you play. It doesn't have to be fancy or you don't have to do alot but you have to set youself apart from the rest. I somewhat play like I'm putting on a performance at times. Not to be seen but I use the dynamics of music to express myself meaning I'm not just someone banging away on the keys or trying to play something hot. If a person wants a classy wedding they are not going to ask a musican that's always playing loud. People notice. When you perform out side of church be prepared and give them a show. lol This is when you want to sell yourself the most. You can do this by having a large repetoire of selections to play.

Other than that I would get a partime as a tipped employee.

great post. I just had some business cards made for my other Business at vistaprint.com. 500 cards for $20 shipped.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 12:24:41 PM »
You can also get 500 FREE business cards at www.vistaprint.com - but you pay shipping, and beware of all the 'opt-out' offers at checkout...

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 12:56:05 PM »
You can also get 500 FREE business cards at www.vistaprint.com - but you pay shipping, and beware of all the 'opt-out' offers at checkout...

I think the free ones actually say "vistaprint.com" on the back of the card. I think it looks a lot more professional without it...unless you really need that extra $5.

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 03:39:47 PM »
In addition to what has already been said you could teach piano, put out a CD, assist other ministries with choir vocals and instrumental tracks, and get into music production for artist in your area.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 08:44:18 PM »
I think the free ones actually say "vistaprint.com" on the back of the card. I think it looks a lot more professional without it...unless you really need that extra $5.
Rather print my own at home. :) Opt out. Lol
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up