LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your Most Recent Breakthrough  (Read 763 times)

Offline praiseHisname

• LGM Member
  • Praise Him with a bass guitar

Your Most Recent Breakthrough
« on: January 27, 2010, 08:27:08 PM »
Describe one of your most recent breakthroughs on the bass. And, what made the light bulb go off.?.?

For me, it was realizing, while playing, how the Mixolydian mode leads me back perfectly to the root, if I find myself on the Fifth no matter where I am on the neck.
And I know the same can be said for the other modes, however, I'm still building my "mental map" in terms of interlocking the modes. So, I haven't had the same break through for every mode yet.

It takes a measure of trust when playing through a mode that you'll end up in familiar territory "sort of speak." Rather than lost --This is what I find while I'm trying to learn to improvise.

There's nothing more comfortable, for me, than starting off a run or fill from the root note, but to develop that same since of comfort when starting from the Fifth, Second, etc. is what I covet.

So getting back to the original statement regarding your recent breakthrough, and what made it possible. Again, for me it's applying the Mixolydian scale and while practicing to improvise.

Please share your experience.
To YOU God be the glory!

Offline blacklw234

• LGM Member

Re: Your Most Recent Breakthrough
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 10:41:35 PM »
My most recent breakthrough was I got a new bass. A Fender 5 MIM with SCN (Somarium Cobalt Noiseless) Pickups. It has the sound I was looking for for years.
I play a LTD ESP C-305 Bass

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 08:04:40 AM »
My most recent breakthrough came about because I finally opened my eyes up to different genres.

So I turn on pandora and play along to whatever happens to come on. Lately it was the Doors. (been wanting to watch forest gump lately but haven't had the chance so I play the music)

Either way it is forcing my ears and my fingers to recognize notes and scales that I may not usually play.

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 12:57:50 PM »
The awesome power and flexibility of an Active 5 string! It took me awhile to come around though. I let my 5 string sit in the corner for over a year. Then I saw a bass riff for 5 string that didn't sound nearly as good when transposed on a 4 string, so I pulled out my 5 and discovered what most of you already knew. Now if i can just get a breakthrough on slap bass, I will be a very happy camper.
Pages: [1]   Go Up