LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: new issues - did i do the right thing by not quitting?  (Read 6663 times)

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

Re: new issues - did i do the right thing by not quitting?
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2010, 01:07:48 PM »
Let me explain. I grew up holiness so I know all about "unions on 5th sundays," campmeetings, week long tent revivals, jurisdiction, etc. Now that I'm on my own have gain my own understanding, I don't partake in those events no more. So, no I don't have to "compete" with the next musician to get some play during various services, musicals, etc. Been there, done that. All I'm saying is that I'm feel free. This is just ME. I please don't take offense to anything that I'm saying.

About the shed comment, obviously, the musicians where you are from have a different mindset. Yes, some sheds are show off sessions, but even with that, you can find some ideas from those sessions and broaden your musical perspective. Sheds are very much creative. How do you think the musicians come up with the creative licks and fills that they do. I hope that you take this next sentence with an open mind. It appears to me, that you don't like to step out of your comfort zone, which is fine, but when you don't you'll reach a plateau and never go any higher. Its like p90x. Tony Horton developed that system of training so that your muscles never get accustomed to what they are doing, ie. muscle confusion. This is so that our body doesn't reach the plateau affect. The same can be said about music. Its good to do things differently so that you can learn more. For me, I used to not like listening to music similar to Jonathan Stockstill, but at the church I currently have my membership, we sing his songs and others. With learning to play these songs, I learned how to play in unfamiliar keys such as E, B, A on the keyboard. In gospel, mostly everything is either in Eb, Ab, Db or Bb. I can now play in any key with no problem. Why, because I haven't limited myself to just the norm and my comfort zone.
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2010, 02:29:42 PM »
and i think this is something that i initially didnt see. thinking it was strictly a musical thing, and although some people may think it is, its NOT. and i think this is something that happens and a necessary process when you tell God you want to be MORE than just a musician. because whether i accomplish what God wants and needs me to do isnt dependent on what bass i play or what rig im playing through, but rather on where my relationship is with Him, and i think this whole thing put me in a new place regarding that.

AMEN! HALLELUJAH! 

Somebody pass the plate!

Really brother, that is what it is all about.  We can all learn from this situation.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2010, 07:23:26 PM »
Let me explain. I grew up holiness so I know all about "unions on 5th sundays," campmeetings, week long tent revivals, jurisdiction, etc. Now that I'm on my own have gain my own understanding, I don't partake in those events no more. So, no I don't have to "compete" with the next musician to get some play during various services, musicals, etc. Been there, done that. All I'm saying is that I'm feel free. This is just ME. I please don't take offense to anything that I'm saying.

not taking offense at all. its just that its a choice. so even if those things are there, no one says you have to participate in such things. thats why i was saying that denomination shouldnt be a factor.

About the shed comment, obviously, the musicians where you are from have a different mindset. Yes, some sheds are show off sessions, but even with that, you can find some ideas from those sessions and broaden your musical perspective. Sheds are very much creative. How do you think the musicians come up with the creative licks and fills that they do.

You are quite right. sheds are SUPPOSED to be creative. However some are nothing more than popularity contests and tend to be filled with those people who would answer the question "what separates 'good' from 'great'?" with the answer "more licks!"

I hope that you take this next sentence with an open mind. It appears to me, that you don't like to step out of your comfort zone, which is fine, but when you don't you'll reach a plateau and never go any higher. ... Its good to do things differently so that you can learn more. For me, I used to not like listening to music similar to Jonathan Stockstill, but at the church I currently have my membership, we sing his songs and others. With learning to play these songs, I learned how to play in unfamiliar keys such as E, B, A on the keyboard. In gospel, mostly everything is either in Eb, Ab, Db or Bb. I can now play in any key with no problem. Why, because I haven't limited myself to just the norm and my comfort zone.

i want to be a greater musician. and for me that means understanding the music, the core "whats", "whys" and "hows" of creating and accomplishing a vision through music. not just collecting riffs and licks. On the other topic "what separates good from great" someone said placement, which i totally agree with. You dont learn placement by learning licks, you learn placement by understanding the music. And when you skip over that, you have the person who learns a new chord on the keys and plays it ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE, guy that learns a new lick on the bass and plays it ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE, etc. Because learning a new lick doesnt automatically give u good placement. But understanding the music lets you know where to place any lick that u do have and any new ones u may acquire over time.

I've played with organists with crazy runs and u ask "what key are u in" and they reply "i dont know". i ask what chord they are playing so i accentuate the chord quality on bass (something if u know how to do u can create your own licks on the fly) and they reply "i dont know". Ive played with drummers who can do crazy licks (maybe enough to make their own DVD) but cant establish rhythms for different genres of music or set a specific atmosphere. So if i have to sacrifice building my "lick library" in order to become a better student of music, i will gladly do so. Especially since thats necessary for effective songwriting. Dont get me wrong, i do pick up some licks here and there (its hard not to) but its not at all my focus neither in learning nor playing.

let me use an example. u want to build ur own bass, right? You can focus on whats the hottest bridge, the best pickup, the popular preamp, etc. But until you start understanding bass building as a whole in and of itself (which will include bridges, pickups, and pre's but not focus solely on that), you'll never be able to build a quality instrument. It'll just be a chunk of wood with spectacular accessories. And the mindset you have about this will determine if you'd to go to the "bass builders workshop" or the "bass pickup expo".

For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline Sadowsky1

• LGM Member

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2010, 07:44:30 PM »
you sir have alot of patience. 

To me it sounds like they're still walking all over you and using you regardless of how "nice" they sounded. 

I would've politely said "thanks, but no thanks" and bowed out of that wretched situation.

Good luck to you though.  I pray all goes well while you're still with them.

+1

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2010, 01:45:24 AM »
"what separates good from great" someone said placement, which i totally agree with. You dont learn placement by learning licks, you learn placement by understanding the music. And when you skip over that, you have the person who learns a new chord on the keys and plays it ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE, guy that learns a new lick on the bass and plays it ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE, etc. Because learning a new lick doesnt automatically give u good placement. But understanding the music lets you know where to place any lick that u do have and any new ones u may acquire over time.

Just like some sports I have seen on the Olympics - Men's figure skating, for example - one has the quad jumps down, while the other wins the gold with clean technique and artistry. Guess who is the sore loser? The cat with the fancy 'licks'...

Offline blacklw234

• LGM Member

« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2010, 03:39:46 AM »
Not to be knocking your denomination or anyone else's, but I'm glad to be non-denominational so that I don't have to go through this stuff here.

No dis-respect, but, Some non-denominationals are as jacked up as denominations. It aint no differernce. I've been in both. It all has to do with the leadership. If the church doesn't go by these acronyms (WWJD) then you more than likely will have problems anywhere.
I play a LTD ESP C-305 Bass

Offline blacklw234

• LGM Member

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2010, 03:48:37 AM »
Floaded,

For me, I always try to use negativity as a positive. In so many words, they said your bass playing would not suffice for the event. For whatever reason. FOR ME THATS MOTIVATION!!!!! This situation would have caused me to add about 3 more hours to my practice time daily and Get busy with trying to improve my skill. We all can get better!!! Use that negativity for motivation. This was nothing but a stumbling block the enemy used to try and trip you up from using your gift for His purpose. GET BUSY MY MAN!!!!! Come back doing runs that DW Wright would give the stink face to.
I play a LTD ESP C-305 Bass

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2010, 04:38:09 PM »
Floaded,

For me, I always try to use negativity as a positive. In so many words, they said your bass playing would not suffice for the event. For whatever reason. FOR ME THATS MOTIVATION!!!!! This situation would have caused me to add about 3 more hours to my practice time daily and Get busy with trying to improve my skill. We all can get better!!! Use that negativity for motivation. This was nothing but a stumbling block the enemy used to try and trip you up from using your gift for His purpose. GET BUSY MY MAN!!!!! Come back doing runs that DW Wright would give the stink face to.

I have to respectfully disagree. To use the negativity of others as a motivation is to place too much value on the opinions of others. While we can all get better, the desire to get better should come from a desire to please God in what we do. And God will use our gift, however great or small, for His glory and His purpose.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up