LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Introduce New P&W Songs  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Veign

• LGM Member
  • Me at home

How to Introduce New P&W Songs
« on: February 28, 2010, 09:37:37 PM »
Heyo,

Our praise and worship team sings the same old songs all the time, how do I get them to learn new songs??

churchyreal

Re: How to Introduce New P&W Songs
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 09:38:45 PM »
Heyo,

Our praise and worship team sings the same old songs all the time, how do I get them to learn new songs??

What's your position? Are you Minister of Music? Musician? Member of the Praise Team?

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 09:45:17 PM »
1 - CD's (get Praise leader's/Pastor's approval/backing of new songs). Encourage people to listen during the week.
2 - Sing w/CD's at rehearsal. Often it will take more than one to get a song.
3 - Get the band behind you, by going over songs with them separately with music/chord charts, if needed.

Then stand back and watch out!
;)

Offline malthumb

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 04:54:38 AM »
^^^^ this
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 06:47:02 AM »
1 - CD's (get Praise leader's/Pastor's approval/backing of new songs). Encourage people to listen during the week.
2 - Sing w/CD's at rehearsal. Often it will take more than one to get a song.
3 - Get the band behind you, by going over songs with them separately with music/chord charts, if needed.

Then stand back and watch out!
;)

With the exception of going over it with the musicians (because we don't have any), I say THIS to the above.

Allow me to add the fact that you want to go over whatever new song you'd like to teach sooner rather than later. Nothing's worse than asking people to listen to a CD and never learn any of the songs on said CD. Even if it takes a while for the team to get the feel/lyrics of the song, as least you're working on it.

And, we learn new songs fairly often.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline malthumb

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 09:48:50 AM »
With the exception of going over it with the musicians (because we don't have any), I say THIS to the above.

Allow me to add the fact that you want to go over whatever new song you'd like to teach sooner rather than later. Nothing's worse than asking people to listen to a CD and never learn any of the songs on said CD. Even if it takes a while for the team to get the feel/lyrics of the song, as least you're working on it.

And, we learn new songs fairly often.

Regarding the bold print, at my home church, I'm responsible for the music program for 4th Sunday.

I have gotten into the habit of establishing this pattern to prepare for 4th Sunday service.

EVERYBODY has the same set of CDs with music we are to be responsible for knowing.  I made certain that everyone who was part of the choir when the CDs were produced had some say in what is on it. (We've added a couple new members since)

When we arrive to serve on a 4th Sunday, I hand them the selections and the rehearsal plan for the NEXT 4th Sunday.  So yesterday I handed out the plan for March 28th.  Now they have a month to work on their vocals.  It details the name of the song and where on which CD to find it (CD1 - #4, CD3 #5, etc)

The rehearsal plan includes one rehearsal with all but the pianist at my house on the Saturday preceding 3rd Sunday.  That's to go over the vocals and any changes in arrangement we are making to the CD version.  If the pianist can make it, great!  We have keyboards at my house.  If not, we still make progress. 

Then there's a rehearsal on the Thursday preceding 4th Sunday at the church, in the sanctuary with all instruments, mics and pa.  The idea is if everybody knows where they are to stand, when and where they are to move, and what instrumnets come in and out when, there are no fewer surprises on Sunday.

Finally, there is a "brush up" on 4th Sunday an hour before service.  This is done in the music room, since people are often filing in and out of the sanctuary as much as 30 minutes before service.

This is very different from the way the MOM and the asst MOM run rehearsals for the other choirs, but it works for us.
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 09:59:02 AM »
Regarding the bold print, at my home church, I'm responsible for the music program for 4th Sunday.

I have gotten into the habit of establishing this pattern to prepare for 4th Sunday service.

EVERYBODY has the same set of CDs with music we are to be responsible for knowing.  I made certain that everyone who was part of the choir when the CDs were produced had some say in what is on it. (We've added a couple new members since)

When we arrive to serve on a 4th Sunday, I hand them the selections and the rehearsal plan for the NEXT 4th Sunday.  So yesterday I handed out the plan for March 28th.  Now they have a month to work on their vocals.  It details the name of the song and where on which CD to find it (CD1 - #4, CD3 #5, etc)

The rehearsal plan includes one rehearsal with all but the pianist at my house on the Saturday preceding 3rd Sunday.  That's to go over the vocals and any changes in arrangement we are making to the CD version.  If the pianist can make it, great!  We have keyboards at my house.  If not, we still make progress. 

Then there's a rehearsal on the Thursday preceding 4th Sunday at the church, in the sanctuary with all instruments, mics and pa.  The idea is if everybody knows where they are to stand, when and where they are to move, and what instrumnets come in and out when, there are no fewer surprises on Sunday.

Finally, there is a "brush up" on 4th Sunday an hour before service.  This is done in the music room, since people are often filing in and out of the sanctuary as much as 30 minutes before service.

This is very different from the way the MOM and the asst MOM run rehearsals for the other choirs, but it works for us.

That's an absolutely fantastic plan. VERY thorough. Kudos to you, sir.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

churchyreal

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 12:37:13 PM »

See stuff like this can happen when everyone knows their roles and people can stay in their lanes. When you got too many people wanting to run the show that can cause chaos!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 12:55:53 PM »
See stuff like this can happen when everyone knows their roles and people can stay in their lanes. When you got too many people wanting to run the show that can cause chaos!

:-\ ?/? :-\

Offline malthumb

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 02:47:59 PM »

I could develop a sitcom on some of the stuff that went on behind the scenes to get to this point.  The funniest was when the MOM and I were going back and forth via text msg over her wanting to use MY Thursday for a combined choir rehearsal and also her objecting to my wanting to use one of HER songs for a processional.   Since she had plans to use that same song as a selection the next week with her choir, I knew I needed to change.  I meant to text her back "I'll find another processional".  What I actually typed was "I'll find another professional"  She also happens to be my pianist for 4th Sunday.  She thought I was informing her that I was replacing her because of our disagreement over who was rehearsing whom on 4th Thursday.   :o  :o  :o

Her feelings were already bruised because the pastor and the Worship Committee sided with me over her assumption that she could just decide to use 4th Sunday for combined choir programs without consulting me.  That one letter difference took a lot of repair work.
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 03:10:05 PM »
I could develop a sitcom on some of the stuff that went on behind the scenes to get to this point.  The funniest was when the MOM and I were going back and forth via text msg over her wanting to use MY Thursday for a combined choir rehearsal and also her objecting to my wanting to use one of HER songs for a processional.   Since she had plans to use that same song as a selection the next week with her choir, I knew I needed to change.  I meant to text her back "I'll find another processional".  What I actually typed was "I'll find another professional"  She also happens to be my pianist for 4th Sunday.  She thought I was informing her that I was replacing her because of our disagreement over who was rehearsing whom on 4th Thursday.   :o  :o  :o

Her feelings were already bruised because the pastor and the Worship Committee sided with me over her assumption that she could just decide to use 4th Sunday for combined choir programs without consulting me.  That one letter difference took a lot of repair work.

Man, I can only imagine. :-\

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 03:37:22 PM »
What's your position? Are you Minister of Music? Musician? Member of the Praise Team?

Great question.

Offline Veign

• LGM Member
  • Me at home

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 11:04:13 PM »

I'm actually the MOM, but we are a small growing church. :)

churchyreal

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 11:07:03 PM »
I'm actually the MOM, but we are a small growing church. :)

Ok, do you have a very limited role (where the members can have a big influence on what happens in the group) or do you have power to the point of being able to legislate, get a few opinions and go on with the show?

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 06:22:26 AM »
Ok, do you have a very limited role (where the members can have a big influence on what happens in the group) or do you have power to the point of being able to legislate, get a few opinions and go on with the show?

Do you actually have an answer to the man's question or what? I feel like he's in need of a lawyer.  :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up