LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Stand or Sit During Praise & Worship  (Read 7585 times)

churchyreal

Stand or Sit During Praise & Worship
« on: March 14, 2010, 01:50:05 PM »
Which one does the congregation do during praise & worship for the most part?

If your church was sitting before and now stands was it a change the pastor insitituted?

Right now the congregation sits with a few standing. A lot of the contemporary churches that I visit in the Greensboro area (NC) everyone in the congregation stands during praise & worship. Our church does praise & worship but at the core we are still a little on the traditional side (not saying that is bad, just being objective).

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: Stand or Sit During Praise & Worship
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 04:28:12 PM »
Our congregation stands.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 07:25:34 PM »

Right now the congregation sits with a few standing. A lot of the contemporary churches that I visit in the Greensboro area (NC) everyone in the congregation stands during praise & worship. Our church does praise & worship but at the core we are still a little on the traditional side (not saying that is bad, just being objective).

The people will stand when they are ready to.

At my church most of the people stand and sing along.

At my old church, it took quite a while after we started doing PnW before the people were used to it and participated, and many of them were new members.

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 05:01:20 PM »
Yeah, I think U is on to something.  It's hard to change the mindset of folks who have been sitting, but as new people come they can ease in a new way, not by force, just by example. 

Almost everyone stands at my church, but a few still sit, which is okay.  I'm sitting the whole time on the drums, so I forget how it feels sometimes to want to have a seat for a bit after standing through a couple of songs.

Offline jgause2

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 07:11:09 PM »
At my previous church, we had instituted a Praise & Worship team for the first time, and it was slowly received, because the congregation was full of majority 'seasoned' members, and so this was new to them.  For a while, they wouldn't stand up. So after a while, because the deacons still open up with scripture and prayer, we would have the deacons tell the congregation to stand for praise n worship.  Now when that first started, ppl would stand for the first song, then sit for the second song (we always only sang two songs...didn't wanna overdue it).  After  about 6 months though...and the congregation began to get use to the idea of praise and worship, they began to participate in it more.

The church I'm at now i really enjoy, because the whole congregation is into the P&W, and it really sets the tone for the rest of the service.
The only place where "success" comes before "work" is in the dictionary

Offline musicbishop

• LGM Member
  • Me and the spoiled one

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 08:58:32 AM »
Our Church still actually does devotion which may be strange to some now. But it's lead by whoever is conducting service,one of the ministers. We do a song, alter call with a song, another song, scripture, and fellowship song. whoever is conducting normally does all of the leading of the songs.

Our praise team actually serves as the choir once a month on the second Sunday usually. they do anywhere from 3-4 songs all together. They also normally render music for any outside engagement as well. Different but I love it. Learned it from another church that uses their praise team for music ministry during Wednesday night service.

Sorry I've rambled so much I never answered the question. some stand some sit. which i believe is okay either way, because it's all about your personal relationship with God. Just cause i ask you to stand doesn't mean you have to, and I can't make you.

I learned a valuable lesson early on as a preacher some people do different things to express their praise or response to a service or sermon. I used to get worried when none of the seasoned members would say much while I preached then I soon found out that they'd just rather tell me personally after I preached. Different strokes for different folks. ;D ;D ;D

Disclaimer Sorry the post was so long I'm at work bored to death ( and yes I do work) LOL
The Chapters before life really begins don't matter, but, the ones after can never be erased

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 12:37:52 PM »
The vast majority sit.

We don't actually have a Praise & Worship just a traditional Devotion.

But every now and then a P&W song will be song because someone wanted to sing it for devotion.

Offline 2tight

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 07:07:22 AM »
THE CONGREGATION STANDS WHEN THEY ARE READY TO BUT EVERYONE STANDS ON THE LAST SONG THE DEACON OR PRAISE TEAM SINGS FOR WE CAN DO THE LORD'S PRAYER.
Shannon moore

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 10:27:55 AM »
My pastor is young, so P&W is a part of his culture. He has made it very clear (openly, in the mic) that members of our church are to stand during P&W. So our members do stand. We have guests who don't stand, but usually when guests see everyone else standing, they'll stand too.

The hard part, for me, is getting the parents to make their children stand. I hate the notion that kids aren't really a part of the worship experience and don't have to do what the adults are doing. During offering, the kids don't move. Someone says "everybody standing," the kids don't move. Lift your hands in worship... the kids don't move. Close your eyes and pray... the kids keep doing whatever they're doing.  I was raised differently, and I'm sticking with that.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 10:34:35 AM »
My pastor is young, so P&W is a part of his culture. He has made it very clear (openly, in the mic) that members of our church are to stand during P&W. So our members do stand. We have guests who don't stand, but usually when guests see everyone else standing, they'll stand too.

The hard part, for me, is getting the parents to make their children stand. I hate the notion that kids aren't really a part of the worship experience and don't have to do what the adults are doing. During offering, the kids don't move. Someone says "everybody standing," the kids don't move. Lift your hands in worship... the kids don't move. Close your eyes and pray... the kids keep doing whatever they're doing.  I was raised differently, and I'm sticking with that.

I dont agree with making everyone stand during PnW :-\

As for the Kids not standing, maybe whoever has the mic should say announce that the kids should be standing as well.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 10:47:31 AM »

I dont agree with making everyone stand during PnW :-\

As for the Kids not standing, maybe whoever has the mic should say announce that the kids should be standing as well.

I do. Unless the "everyone" is disabled or elderly or something like that. TWISI, P&W creates an atmosphere, and the enthusiasm and participation of the people contributes to that atmosphere.

As for the kids, I simply blame the parents. But if they are sitting anywhere near me or can read my lips, I simply tell them to get up.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 01:43:11 PM »
I do. Unless the "everyone" is disabled or elderly or something like that. TWISI, P&W creates an atmosphere, and the enthusiasm and participation of the people contributes to that atmosphere.

As for the kids, I simply blame the parents. But if they are sitting anywhere near me or can read my lips, I simply tell them to get up.

I just think that people should be free to be in whatever posture that they desire to be in during PnW. Imagine if you went to a church and the Pastor made everyone sit down with their hands folded for PnW....How would that make you feel? Everybody has their own way of praising and worshiping.

churchyreal

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 01:52:01 PM »
Being absolutely objective:

What's wrong with promoting a culture of standing in praise and worship, a time that should be totally devoted to God, if its ok to promote a culture of standing for the pastor, reading of scripture, etc?

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 01:55:52 PM »
I just think that people should be free to be in whatever posture that they desire to be in during PnW. Imagine if you went to a church and the Pastor made everyone sit down with their hands folded for PnW....How would that make you feel? Everybody has their own way of praising and worshiping.

You're just a rebel, aren'tcha?  :D

If one could find biblical basis for the congregation sitting with their hands folded, then you'd have a point.

Other than that, when we get in the mind of doing what we feel like doing and calling it 'reverencing God', I think we tread upon shaky ground. After all, how does one give a 'sacrifice' of praise when one is comfortable?

The Bible instructs us on how we are to give praise and worship to our God. BTJM. *kanyeshrug*
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

churchyreal

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 02:04:42 PM »
I do believe that everyone has their own way of praising God however I feel like when we come in His presence God should receive the same reference and more as a judge or the president of the YTBUSA.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 02:07:34 PM »
I do believe that everyone has their own way of praising God however I feel like when we come in His presence God should receive the same reference and more as a judge or the president of the YTBUSA.

reverence,  bruh.  ::) :-\

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 02:09:31 PM »

Why are basing our worship on worldly comparisons? ;D j/k

But I think that saying that someone cant worship or praise while sitting down, laying down on the floor etc is  preposterous.

churchyreal

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 02:11:29 PM »
I see your point Under13.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 03:09:13 PM »
You're just a rebel, aren'tcha?  :D

If one could find biblical basis for the congregation sitting with their hands folded, then you'd have a point.

Other than that, when we get in the mind of doing what we feel like doing and calling it 'reverencing God', I think we tread upon shaky ground. After all, how does one give a 'sacrifice' of praise when one is comfortable?

The Bible instructs us on how we are to give praise and worship to our God. BTJM. *kanyeshrug*

Thanks.  I knew my answer, but couldn't articulate it like that. That's perfect.

Why are basing our worship on worldly comparisons? ;D j/k

But I think that saying that someone cant worship or praise while sitting down, laying down on the floor etc is  preposterous.

No one said that you "can't" worship or praise while sitting down or laying on the floor... I worship all day at work, while sitting in my chair. I worship in my bed at night and first thing in the morning. I praise in the car or while sitting on the train...

P&W is about CORPORATE worship... being with one accord, in one place (literally and figuratively) doing the same thing with the same goal in the same spirit.

I think if you ask any P&W leader, they'll be able to tell you why it's so important that people are standing. I'm not one, but I know the deal... for one, singing to people that are sitting puts you in a position of entertaining or singing TO people instead of leading them in corporate worship. It does NOT foster corporate worship.  Plus, people who are sitting during P&W tend not to participate (or not as enthusiastically as they can) in the corporate worship experience, and they can get lazy, complacent, comfortable (which goes against SACRIFICING praise in an offering for corporate worship).

Yeah, I said corporate worship a lot... it was for a reason.

churchyreal

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 03:46:31 PM »

No one said that you "can't" worship or praise while sitting down or laying on the floor... I worship all day at work, while sitting in my chair. I worship in my bed at night and first thing in the morning. I praise in the car or while sitting on the train...

P&W is about CORPORATE worship... being with one accord, in one place (literally and figuratively) doing the same thing with the same goal in the same spirit.

I think if you ask any P&W leader, they'll be able to tell you why it's so important that people are standing. I'm not one, but I know the deal... for one, singing to people that are sitting puts you in a position of entertaining or singing TO people instead of leading them in corporate worship. It does NOT foster corporate worship.  Plus, people who are sitting during P&W tend not to participate (or not as enthusiastically as they can) in the corporate worship experience, and they can get lazy, complacent, comfortable (which goes against SACRIFICING praise in an offering for corporate worship).

Yeah, I said corporate worship a lot... it was for a reason.

And that's what leads me to lean on the side of the argument that says that it's best to stand, everyone, during praise & worship. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter but I just think that when we come in the presence of God (which starts at home and outside church through our relationship in God) we should be reverencing in all ways including standing, kneeling, laying prostrate, etc.

Good discussion folks!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up