LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to playing guitar need advice  (Read 970 times)

Offline dml3

• LGM Member

New to playing guitar need advice
« on: April 01, 2010, 01:37:03 PM »
 I am a pretty advanced piano player, can sight read and know theory. I also play bass. I want to move over to lead but don't know where to start.

Should I just begin with a cheap $25 guitar off ebay just to get the hang of things first? Should I start out with Electric or Acoustic?

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

Re: New to playing guitar need advice
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 04:01:39 AM »
You would be doing yourself a serious disservice by buying a cheapo guitar. Those cheap guitars are so bad that playing them would not be fun and difficult.

If you are already an advanced piano player, then learning lead will be easy. All you will need is the scale fingerings and perfecting the techniques.
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline Sonar

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 07:52:02 PM »
A "cheap" guitar is physically hard to play and it won't set-up or "intonate" well...so it will sound "off" no matter what you do. would you recommend an untuned cheap piano to learn on? Same thing.

The good news is that the economy has the market flooded with lower priced USED guitars.

Your goal should be to buy as nice a guitar as you can at a USED price that will allow you to sell it again later at the price you bought it for.

Brand names can be a trap because some of the worst beginner guitars can wear the most popular names these days.

I'd buy the electric as the necks are generally slimmer and the string tension is less...this generally makes them easier to play at first.

If you play piano and bass now, enlist a guitar friend to oversee your purchase if at all possible.

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 09:26:18 PM »
I agree with everything that's been said so far.  Also, I was told a while ago that starting on acoustic can help build up your finger strength.  When I started I borrowed my aunt's acoustic guitar for about a year then got my first electric guitar.  I kinda wish I would have sprang for an acoustic.  :-\  However, since you're going to be learning lead, it would be a lot more fun to do if you had an electric guitar...IMO.  Also, if you have a big belly an electric guitar will be easier to play.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 09:47:17 AM »

Should I just begin with a cheap $25 guitar off ebay just to get the hang of things first? Should I start out with Electric or Acoustic?

Life is too short.....to waste time with super el-cheapo guitars.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom
Pages: [1]   Go Up