LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: A woman with the title Bishop?  (Read 11020 times)

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: A woman with the title Bishop?
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2010, 05:40:44 PM »
I have been thinking about this topic, but not just as it relates to church. Men, in general, in American culture, are absent. Marriages aren't working. People are having wanton sex. Children are being born out of wedlock....on purpose.

I would say that if the man is the head, then ultimately this is our fault. This may be a vicious circle too, since women can't truly teach a young boy how to be a man. No matter how you try, there will be a hole, if the father isn't there.

I'll go with the adage that it takes two to tango. I mean we talk about the man being the head and all; at the same time, where are the Proverbs 31 women? *kanyeshrug*
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

churchyreal

« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2010, 05:50:14 PM »
Amen again!

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2010, 05:53:32 PM »

I'll go with the adage that it takes two to tango. I mean we talk about the man being the head and all; at the same time, where are the Proverbs 31 women? *kanyeshrug*

Can you have a Proverbs 31 woman without a man? Didn't it start with us?

This reminds me of an episode of Wife Swap. This lady was controlling her house, and the dude was not doing much about it. He was just like *kanyeshrug*. It took another lady coming to his house saying that he needs to be a man, and act like the king, to wake him up...I guess. When they got around the table, he said what he wanted them to do, and his wife was like *psft* We'll talk about it later. He was like Naw. I'm the king, we're doing it. When they revisited them later, they seemed to have a better relationship. I was like ?/?. ;D

Offline JustBritt

• LGM Member
  • *Sigh*

« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2010, 06:30:58 PM »
*sigh*
~Moving Forward~

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2010, 06:48:02 PM »
Can you have a Proverbs 31 woman without a man? Didn't it start with us?

This reminds me of an episode of Wife Swap. This lady was controlling her house, and the dude was not doing much about it. He was just like *kanyeshrug*. It took another lady coming to his house saying that he needs to be a man, and act like the king, to wake him up...I guess. When they got around the table, he said what he wanted them to do, and his wife was like *psft* We'll talk about it later. He was like Naw. I'm the king, we're doing it. When they revisited them later, they seemed to have a better relationship. I was like ?/?. ;D

I saw that episode. It was a few years ago, right? I remember that very clearly.

When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2010, 08:43:05 PM »

I saw that episode. It was a few years ago, right? I remember that very clearly.

I don't know how old it was. I saw it earlier this month, but I know that it was at least a year old.

One was a homeschooling family, that dressed up like they lived in the Middle Ages. The other family had a mother that was a teacher and managed a restaurant.

Offline Rachaud

• LGM Member
  • God has done a work in my life.

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2010, 12:20:23 AM »
WoW!! This is some good knowledge you guys are putting out. That's awesome!!!
What God is Going to do in your life later on will make sense of whats happening right now.

Offline Docdb04

• LGM Member
  • I Stand At the Door and Knock

« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2010, 07:42:45 AM »
I have been thinking about this topic, but not just as it relates to church. Men, in general, in American culture, are absent. Marriages aren't working. People are having wanton sex. Children are being born out of wedlock....on purpose.

I would say that if the man is the head, then ultimately this is our fault. This may be a vicious circle too, since women can't truly teach a young boy how to be a man. No matter how you try, there will be a hole, if the father isn't there.

You talking right.

True.   

The crazy thing is that, in order for it to shift back into place, men have to be present in the homes.  (Not to jump all over) I've learned, from my experience, that many women probably would become that Proverbs 31 woman, if they had a man that would pastor his church (household) right.           

Offline JustBecause

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me & My kids :)

« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2010, 07:51:26 AM »
The crazy thing is that, in order for it to shift back into place, men have to be present in the homes.  (Not to jump all over) I've learned, from my experience, that many women probably would become that Proverbs 31 woman, if they had a man that would pastor his church (household) right.           

I felt that one in my Locs... {speaking in tongues} THANKYA!!!!! :)
1 - Father
1 - Son
1 - Holy Spirit
Recipe for Greatness...

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2010, 09:32:02 AM »
Since we're talking about the Proverbs 31 woman...

An LGMer told me a few months ago that I was a "real" Proverbs 31 woman. I think he was just high off my good cookin... LOL!  He said "man, all these women out here talking 'bout they Proverbs 31 women; they don't even know what a Proverbs 31 woman is. You're a REAL Proverbs 31 woman." ( ;) betcha thought I forgot that... LOL). Of course at the moment, I took that as a major compliment because (a) he's not easily impressed by people of God, and (b) I know that a "Proverbs 31 woman" is one of virtue and integrity, who walks with honor and dignity and loves the Lord and all that.  But that night, I had to look it up again and read it for myself to see exactly what he was saying about me.  I'm so glad I did because it had been a minute since I read it, and I suspect that a lot of women (and men) really have no idea what a Proverbs 31 woman is. 

We like to assign that title to every woman who is God-fearing, celibate, and knows how to cook.  But, she isn't just one who loves the Lord and is virtuous.  She is a business woman. She is a planner.  She is organized.  She encourages her husband, and does her part to guard his reputation; she represents him well and always takes pride in her appearance.  She manages her household and uses her talent to earn entrepreneurial income.  She is dependable, smart and honest.  She knows how to make clothing, plant her own vegetables, and doesn't sleep all day and night: she isn't lazy and doesn't seek out conveniences in place of quality for her family.  She is wise, kind, Godly and skilled, and doesn't get involved in idleness (foolishness, including gossip and laziness).  Her work speaks for her and she has a solid, honorable reputation.

The Bible says (AMP):

10 A capable, intelligent, and virtuous woman--who is he who can find her? She is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.(D)

11 The heart of her husband trusts in her confidently and relies on and believes in her securely, so that he has no lack of [honest] gain or need of [dishonest] spoil.

12 She comforts, encourages, and does him only good as long as there is life within her.

13 She seeks out wool and flax and works with willing hands [to develop it].

14 She is like the merchant ships loaded with foodstuffs; she brings her household's food from a far [country].

15 She rises while it is yet night and gets [spiritual] food for her household and assigns her maids their tasks.(E)

16 She considers a [new] field before she buys or accepts it [expanding prudently and not courting neglect of her present duties by assuming other duties]; with her savings [of time and strength] she plants fruitful vines in her vineyard. [S. of Sol. 8:12.]

17 She girds herself with strength [spiritual, mental, and physical fitness for her God-given task] and makes her arms strong and firm.

18 She tastes and sees that her gain from work [with and for God] is good; her lamp goes not out, but it burns on continually through the night [of trouble, privation, or sorrow, warning away fear, doubt, and distrust].

19 She lays her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.

20 She opens her hand to the poor, yes, she reaches out her filled hands to the needy [whether in body, mind, or spirit].

21 She fears not the snow for her family, for all her household are doubly clothed in scarlet.(F)

22 She makes for herself coverlets, cushions, and rugs of tapestry. Her clothing is of linen, pure and fine, and of purple [such as that of which the clothing of the priests and the hallowed cloths of the temple were made].(G)

23 Her husband is known in the [city's] gates, when he sits among the elders of the land.(H)

24 She makes fine linen garments and leads others to buy them; she delivers to the merchants girdles [or sashes that free one up for service].

25 Strength and dignity are her clothing and her position is strong and secure; she rejoices over the future [the latter day or time to come, knowing that she and her family are in readiness for it]!

26 She opens her mouth in skillful and godly Wisdom, and on her tongue is the law of kindness [giving counsel and instruction].

27 She looks well to how things go in her household, and the bread of idleness (gossip, discontent, and self-pity) she will not eat.(I)

28 Her children rise up and call her blessed (happy, fortunate, and to be envied); and her husband boasts of and praises her, [saying],

29 [c]Many daughters have done virtuously, nobly, and well [with the strength of character that is steadfast in goodness], but you excel them all.

30 Charm and grace are deceptive, and beauty is vain [because it is not lasting], but a woman who reverently and worshipfully fears the Lord, she shall be praised!

31 Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her own works praise her in the gates [of the city]!(J)

So IRT the last few comments, IMO the woman referenced in Proverbs 31 is married (or perhaps some might argue that she's suitable for marriage) to a man who submits to God and functions as the head of his household.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline Hasmonean1

• LGM Member
    • HVAC International Parts

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2010, 10:08:51 AM »

Amen amen and dru dat. Just a little addition:

Few be they who are able to do it when their situation is not ideal.

Blessed be the MANY and FEW.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
Since we're talking about the Proverbs 31 woman...

An LGMer told me a few months ago that I was a "real" Proverbs 31 woman. I think he was just high off my good cookin... LOL!  He said "man, all these women out here talking 'bout they Proverbs 31 women; they don't even know what a Proverbs 31 woman is. You're a REAL Proverbs 31 woman." ( ;) betcha thought I forgot that... LOL). Of course at the moment, I took that as a major compliment because (a) he's not easily impressed by people of God, and (b) I know that a "Proverbs 31 woman" is one of virtue and integrity, who walks with honor and dignity and loves the Lord and all that.  But that night, I had to look it up again and read it for myself to see exactly what he was saying about me.  I'm so glad I did because it had been a minute since I read it, and I suspect that a lot of women (and men) really have no idea what a Proverbs 31 woman is. 

We like to assign that title to every woman who is God-fearing, celibate, and knows how to cook.  But, she isn't just one who loves the Lord and is virtuous.  She is a business woman. She is a planner.  She is organized.  She encourages her husband, and does her part to guard his reputation; she represents him well and always takes pride in her appearance.  She manages her household and uses her talent to earn entrepreneurial income.  She is dependable, smart and honest.  She knows how to make clothing, plant her own vegetables, and doesn't sleep all day and night: she isn't lazy and doesn't seek out conveniences in place of quality for her family.  She is wise, kind, Godly and skilled, and doesn't get involved in idleness (foolishness, including gossip and laziness).  Her work speaks for her and she has a solid, honorable reputation.

The Bible says (AMP):

10 A capable, intelligent, and virtuous woman--who is he who can find her? She is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.(D)

11 The heart of her husband trusts in her confidently and relies on and believes in her securely, so that he has no lack of [honest] gain or need of [dishonest] spoil.

12 She comforts, encourages, and does him only good as long as there is life within her.

13 She seeks out wool and flax and works with willing hands [to develop it].

14 She is like the merchant ships loaded with foodstuffs; she brings her household's food from a far [country].

15 She rises while it is yet night and gets [spiritual] food for her household and assigns her maids their tasks.(E)

16 She considers a [new] field before she buys or accepts it [expanding prudently and not courting neglect of her present duties by assuming other duties]; with her savings [of time and strength] she plants fruitful vines in her vineyard. [S. of Sol. 8:12.]

17 She girds herself with strength [spiritual, mental, and physical fitness for her God-given task] and makes her arms strong and firm.

18 She tastes and sees that her gain from work [with and for God] is good; her lamp goes not out, but it burns on continually through the night [of trouble, privation, or sorrow, warning away fear, doubt, and distrust].

19 She lays her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.

20 She opens her hand to the poor, yes, she reaches out her filled hands to the needy [whether in body, mind, or spirit].

21 She fears not the snow for her family, for all her household are doubly clothed in scarlet.(F)

22 She makes for herself coverlets, cushions, and rugs of tapestry. Her clothing is of linen, pure and fine, and of purple [such as that of which the clothing of the priests and the hallowed cloths of the temple were made].(G)

23 Her husband is known in the [city's] gates, when he sits among the elders of the land.(H)

24 She makes fine linen garments and leads others to buy them; she delivers to the merchants girdles [or sashes that free one up for service].

25 Strength and dignity are her clothing and her position is strong and secure; she rejoices over the future [the latter day or time to come, knowing that she and her family are in readiness for it]!

26 She opens her mouth in skillful and godly Wisdom, and on her tongue is the law of kindness [giving counsel and instruction].

27 She looks well to how things go in her household, and the bread of idleness (gossip, discontent, and self-pity) she will not eat.(I)

28 Her children rise up and call her blessed (happy, fortunate, and to be envied); and her husband boasts of and praises her, [saying],

29 [c]Many daughters have done virtuously, nobly, and well [with the strength of character that is steadfast in goodness], but you excel them all.

30 Charm and grace are deceptive, and beauty is vain [because it is not lasting], but a woman who reverently and worshipfully fears the Lord, she shall be praised!

31 Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her own works praise her in the gates [of the city]!(J)

So IRT the last few comments, IMO the woman referenced in Proverbs 31 is married (or perhaps some might argue that she's suitable for marriage) to a man who submits to God and functions as the head of his household.

IRT B3's question to me, I believe that a Proverbs 31 woman is 'suitable for marriage', which would mean that she's single and submitted to the Lord. So much so, that when a man of unnoble character comes a-callin', she'll dismiss him while going about her business until she's 'found'.

BTJM.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2010, 10:46:01 AM »

IRT B3's question to me, I believe that a Proverbs 31 woman is 'suitable for marriage', which would mean that she's single and submitted to the Lord. So much so, that when a man of unnoble character comes a-callin', she'll dismiss him while going about her business until she's 'found'.

BTJM.

Verses 23 and 28 says she's married. ;)

But, I think, as you said, there is a lot of preparation. She isn't automatically a Pro 31 woman because she's married. There needs to be someone to teach her; likewise, there needs to be someone to teach a boy/young man to be a man/husband.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2010, 10:47:53 AM »

BTJM.

Yeah, that's why I threw that in there.

I mean, clearly THE Proverbs 31 woman is married.  But to apply it to other women, it can definitely be argued that A "Proverbs 31 woman" is one who will be the wife described in Proverbs 31.  I wouldn't disagree with that.

I'm mostly referring to the notion that every woman who loves the Lord and cooks is a Proverbs 31 woman, and that just ain't true. You have women out here fornicating and calling themselves Prov31 women. You see it on license plates, in FB statuses, bumper stickers, screen savers, e-mail signatures, t-shirts, tattoos, just all over the place... and folks don't even know what it is.  That title is just too big for a lot of us.  I cook, I crochet, I'm supportive and submissive, I'm smart, celibate, and entrepreneurial and I love the Lord. But I wouldn't be so fast to say I'm a Proverbs 31 woman. I just think that's a really big title. *shrug* CBJM.

Oh and "unnoble"??? LOL

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2010, 11:05:14 AM »

I mean, clearly THE Proverbs 31 woman is married.  But to apply it to other women, it can definitely be argued that A "Proverbs 31 woman" is one who will be the wife described in Proverbs 31.  I wouldn't disagree with that.

I'm mostly referring to the notion that every woman who loves the Lord and cooks is a Proverbs 31 woman, and that just ain't true. You have women out here fornicating and calling themselves Prov31 women. You see it on license plates, in FB statuses, bumper stickers, screen savers, e-mail signatures, t-shirts, tattoos, just all over the place... and folks don't even know what it is.  That title is just too big for a lot of us.  I cook, I crochet, I'm supportive and submissive, I'm smart, celibate, and entrepreneurial and I love the Lord. But I wouldn't be so fast to say I'm a Proverbs 31 woman. I just think that's a really big title. *shrug* CBJM.

Oh and "unnoble"??? LOL

Indeed. People always try to take on titles to make themselves look better, which is the reason for this thread.

If you're getting upset because someone isn't calling you Bishop/Pastor/Evangelist, or whatever, you may not be ready for that position.

churchyreal

« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2010, 11:11:26 AM »
Don't get me started ranting about titles...lol!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2010, 11:23:24 AM »

I mean, clearly THE Proverbs 31 woman is married.  But to apply it to other women, it can definitely be argued that A "Proverbs 31 woman" is one who will be the wife described in Proverbs 31.  I wouldn't disagree with that.

I'm mostly referring to the notion that every woman who loves the Lord and cooks is a Proverbs 31 woman, and that just ain't true. You have women out here fornicating and calling themselves Prov31 women. You see it on license plates, in FB statuses, bumper stickers, screen savers, e-mail signatures, t-shirts, tattoos, just all over the place... and folks don't even know what it is.  That title is just too big for a lot of us.  I cook, I crochet, I'm supportive and submissive, I'm smart, celibate, and entrepreneurial and I love the Lord. But I wouldn't be so fast to say I'm a Proverbs 31 woman. I just think that's a really big title. *shrug* CBJM.

Oh and "unnoble"??? LOL

Yep. LOL! Meant to put (int) in there but had to get to lunch. Besides. "ignoble" just didn't quite get it. LOL!

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2010, 11:28:25 AM »
Yep. LOL! Meant to put (int) in there but had to get to lunch. Besides. "ignoble" just didn't quite get it. LOL!

:D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up