LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Are you the only pianist/organist?  (Read 3770 times)

Offline jgause2

• LGM Member

Are you the only pianist/organist?
« on: April 08, 2010, 08:04:06 PM »
I'm just curious as to who all encounter this situation. At my church, I'm the lone keyboardest, and we have a drummer, and a bass player. But there's no back-up for me.  For those who are in similar situations, how often is it that you have to miss out on a sunday? When you are not available on sundays, does your church go acapella? Do they seek a back-up?  Are you part of the search for a back-up?

I just joined my church about 6 months ago...but a few weeks ago, I was out of town...and they struggled trying to find a back-up to play during service. The choir director was able to find somebody, and needless to say, service just didn't flow well.  Just wondering if anyone else ever encounters this.
The only place where "success" comes before "work" is in the dictionary

churchyreal

Re: Are you the only pianist/organist?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 08:36:01 PM »
Yes! Right now I am the only main musician playing for the church. Our senior choir has another keyboard player playing with me but they don't like her playing and sometimes she plays like she really doesn't want to play, is not confident in her playing, or idk. I took my first Sunday off out of about 200+ straight sundays in July of 2009.

I try to take off Sundays in which the woman is playing for the Senior Choir. I went to Ghana in January and my gosh everybody acted like because I wasn't there it wasn't the same. From what I was told service wasn't the same and everybody on facebook was talking about how much they miss me (and I believe that most of it was truly genuine cause you never miss your water till you well (total misspell) runs dry.....lol). I been trying to get them to understand that the show will go on with or without me. But while I was gone in Africa I learned that my role is so important as the only musician and it's highly possible (even though I don't think it should be this way) that the service flows entirely different with someone else. This is something I'm thinking about heavily as I've pondered my future at the church (which is my home church).

It's hard and I have to pray on my pride continously because when you are the only musician and the quality of service depends somewhat on your music and an experience at your church can be made or broken by your playing it's easy to be very prideful.

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 08:39:52 PM »
I'm just curious as to who all encounter this situation. At my church, I'm the lone keyboardest, and we have a drummer, and a bass player. But there's no back-up for me.  For those who are in similar situations, how often is it that you have to miss out on a sunday? When you are not available on sundays, does your church go acapella? Do they seek a back-up?  Are you part of the search for a back-up?

I just joined my church about 6 months ago...but a few weeks ago, I was out of town...and they struggled trying to find a back-up to play during service. The choir director was able to find somebody, and needless to say, service just didn't flow well.  Just wondering if anyone else ever encounters this.

How was it before you got there? Personally, I don't like running solo, because I like my freedom. I don't want to be there every Sunday.

churchyreal

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 08:46:22 PM »
How was it before you got there? Personally, I don't like running solo, because I like my freedom. I don't want to be there every Sunday.

I don't either and the thing that's irritating is when it's like they view you as the make or break of the service. In the black tradition the music is so critical. That's the biggest thing I hate about running solo.

Offline Leviticus

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 09:38:35 PM »

I would say that if you can -try to keep your schedule where you can be there on sunday. They are paying you for a service and you should be there to render it.  Now, in having said that I would also say that sickness, opportunities to better yourself, opportunities to travel, opportunities to simply rest should be taken too.  The church will always try to make you feel guility.  They say you're missed, and it may be true for some people, but the reality is that people say that because they are really being selfish looking out only for their needs.  Yes, I'm sure your playing makes a difference in their worship experience and can be very upsetting when they have gotten used to you and what you can bring, but it shows that we often get stuck on the messenger and not the messege.  If you are a faithful hardworking MOM, then you would be stupid not to take some time for yourself and your life.  Let me tell ya bruh when it's time for those same church folk to take an opportunity- they are not gonna worry about whether you're ok with it.  They're going to jump on it and never look back.  Don't buy the hype bruh, if the other musician was as good- they would forget you in a New York minute.  Always remember that CHURCH FOLK ARE FICKLE! they love you till you do something wrong, or until you decide to start doing for self-then they will turn on you with a vengence.  I'm glad you went to Ghana-tell us how was you able to hook that up.   Whitney Houston taught us well- sometime you only get ONE MOMENT IN TIME.  In closing I say minister to them what God has givien you, but don't forget to minister to yourself . Peace

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 12:00:05 AM »
Yes! Right now I am the only main musician playing for the church. Our senior choir has another keyboard player playing with me but they don't like her playing and sometimes she plays like she really doesn't want to play, is not confident in her playing, or idk. I took my first Sunday off out of about 200+ straight sundays in July of 2009.

I try to take off Sundays in which the woman is playing for the Senior Choir. I went to Ghana in January and my gosh everybody acted like because I wasn't there it wasn't the same. From what I was told service wasn't the same and everybody on facebook was talking about how much they miss me (and I believe that most of it was truly genuine cause you never miss your water till you well (total misspell) runs dry.....lol). I been trying to get them to understand that the show will go on with or without me. But while I was gone in Africa I learned that my role is so important as the only musician and it's highly possible (even though I don't think it should be this way) that the service flows entirely different with someone else. This is something I'm thinking about heavily as I've pondered my future at the church (which is my home church).

It's hard and I have to pray on my pride continously because when you are the only musician and the quality of service depends somewhat on your music and an experience at your church can be made or broken by your playing it's easy to be very prideful.

I hear you - I am the only keyboard player at my church as well. When I joined there was another, the Praise Team leader, then a couple of others came on board. But Pastor preferred my playing, so they drifted away. Now we are down to just me and a drummer and a singer, and I feel partly responsible. I brought in another keyboard and tried to take some Sundays off to give them a chance to play, but got the usual feedback that it "just wasn't the same"...

Offline jgause2

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 12:34:30 AM »

Well when i first got there, there was a second musician there...but he ended up leaving after a few months, and i ended up taking over all the choirs and service and what not.  I'm not complaining or anything, because I enjoy it...every minute of it.

But a few weeks ago i was out of town...so they had to find a back up musician and as a few have already alluded to, our service didn't flow like it usually do...they were saying that he didn't know none of the songs that were being sung...and on one of the choir songs...the director decided to go acapella because it was just that bad.

It had me thinking because I'm going to a weekend revival about 2 -3 hrs away...playing for a friend's group at a saturday night musicial...and i didn't wanna drive back late saturday night...so was going back n forth as to whether I should leave at 7am to make it back to morning service in the event that a backup cannot be found...or just say skip it and go to a morning service out there.
The only place where "success" comes before "work" is in the dictionary

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 06:19:00 AM »
Whenever I am out, I make sure to hire a musician that is responsible and possesses the necessary skills to play at our service. There's no point in hiring a traditional instrumentalist if your church plays mostly contemporary music.  Oddly enough, I’ve had choir members that could sing, teach, and/or play better than me. (I don't sing so that’s not really saying much) They simply had no desire to use their gift at that time. Also, my guitarist can play the piano and has lots of production credits outside of church.  He just prefers to play guitar. 

Offline jrs81

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 11:35:55 AM »
I am the only musician at the church that I play for and it gets kind of frustrating and tiring.  I don't even get to go to my membership church.  In 2006 I was out for 6 weeks due to surgery and it was very hard to find a replacement for me.  I get a vacation every year and sometimes I don't want to take it because I can't find anyone to fill in for me.  All of the other musicians that I know have their own church.  You don't have the option of not going to a service or extra program or anything.  A lot of the musicians in this are play for 2 or more churches, myself included, because there is such a shortage here.

Offline pressingon3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 11:57:55 AM »
At the church where Im the church musician, the assistant musician will take a Saturday or Sunday whenever she choses. During the football season, She missed about 8 Sundays. ::)  I kid you not. and guess what.............................  by God's grace,the drummer, the guitar player , and myself (the organist) carried the services. I didnt receive any complaints so I assumed that everything went well.  Keep in mind that I ALWAYS  travel with the choirs. She never volunteers to go.  I could count on one hand the number of times that she has attended any afternoon programs. This makes me feel as if Im the only keys player ALOT. :-\  

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 11:40:07 AM »

I feel you.

I'm the only pianist/organist at my church.  We have a bass player and a drummer, but I have to switch between organ and piano during service.

I haven't missed a Sunday in quite a while, but when I did our bass player moved to keys.  He isn't good on keys, so I was sorely missed.   :D
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

Tiptip357

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 01:31:43 PM »
Shoooooo...I'm the piano/drummer/bass player at church...I work them beats in the keyboard! LOL! :D :D :D

I usually laugh when visitors come to our church for the first time...during a song, all of a sudden, they would hear drum riff and look all around, trying to figure out where it came from because I'm the only musician up there... :D :D :D

They used to sing with tracks before I joined, so if I ever missed a Sunday (which is not too often), they're good...

I've been working with a couple of musicians who want to play, so I'm excited about that...

Offline sonicfoxbody

• LGM Member
    • Southeast Organ Co

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 10:05:07 PM »
My church has me (depending on my mood I'm either on the organ or the Clavinova), bass player, lead player and drummer. If for some reason I cannot make a service (so far I missed one service this year for my Grandma's funeral), I know people that can fill in for me. You should get to know other musicians in your area to see what they are capable of doing and when they're available to fill in for you if need be. However I don't foresee myself missing anymore Sunday's until I take my vacation (Which is when the pastor takes his). I'm a salary musician, I get paid whether I'm there or not, but I do plan to be there every Sunday it's my obligation, I knew it when I took the position, same with our other musicians, they know people in case they have to be absent one Sunday.

I get a little irritated when I hear musicians say "I don't plan on being in church every Sunday." If that's the case why would you take the position. That's like a pastor of a church saying "I don't wanna go to church every Sunday, I need a backup at least one Sunday a month.
Southeast Organ Co
Follow us on Facebook

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 09:39:07 PM »
Im not now since January, but I have been the only musician. I only miss 1-2 days a year, and when I do, its my responsibility to find a replacement for that Sunday. I give them the songs, and get them paid. I dont know many available people though so its hard. God just worked these last ones out for me, so finding a replacement wasnt that hard. I dont travel much, but when I do, I try the best I can to be back on Sunday, but sometimes I am doing music ministry on Sundays while Im away, so I dont miss that opportunity to minister, even if it means missing service at home. Its not that often, like this year I have my family reunion in Baltimore, only about 1hr15min from the church, but Im not coming back because we have prayer breakfast. The family expects me to play, so I do. My MOM will play for me no prob. Kinda think she wants to get rid of me anyway, so she'll enjoy it.

Offline soundsanointed

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Osoware

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 05:06:17 PM »
You know... there's something about knowing you're not the only one feeling a specific way.  And the way I feel sometimes is 'tired'.  I've always been one that tries really hard to make sure I'm available for everything.  I am a lone player at my church here in Phoenix.  I always prefer to play with a band though.  When I first joined my church there was another musician too, but soon afterwards he moved on and I took over all responsibilities also.  Difference is it sounds like most of you are actually being paid (my assumption).  Me?  I've been playing for free for well over a year now lol.  I have this exact situation coming up this weekend, but supposedly someone that the pastor found is going to join me at choir rehearsal tonight to get a feel for how the choir sings, which I think is pretty cool.  Hopefully things go better than when I'm playing every Sunday.  If there is one thing that I have (unfortunately, in my mind at times) is consistency - so I'll be back LOL.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 12:11:09 AM »
True... some good advice in this thread...

Offline fmason3

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 11:26:01 AM »
I play for two churches.  SDA on Saturday and AME on Sunday.

It's relatively easy to get coverage at the SDA spot.  1) There are a few older ladies in the church that can play.  But I generally get the "boy we missed you/church was a circus last week" messages when I return.  2)  Just about every SDA musician plays on Sundays somewhere but not all Sunday cats play on Saturday.  So I can call up one of my boys or someone to fill in if they don't have a rehearsal or another job or something else going on that day.  I only play 3 of 4 weeks so I'm cool.  But if I need to take off another, it's not a huge deal.

At the AME Church, I've only taken off 4 Sundays in the past 3 years.  For my family reunion every summer in July and my ex's graduation in '07.  I wanted to take off others, but it was almost impossible for them to find someone.  I figured it was not imperative that I take the vacation time, so I came.  Plus me and the pastor have a good relationship.  He looks out for me and I do the same for him.  But I still get the same "Man it's not the same without you" messages when I return. 

I don't want to be "that dude."  I mean I'm glad the people are blessed by my playing, but I wish I had at least another keyboardist at least semi-regularly so that you know someone else can carry the service and so there will be continuity in absentia.  At the AME church, it boils down to finances.  They just don't have it right now.  So I deal with it the best I can.

Offline gab77

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 04:08:38 PM »
WE ARE LIKE FIVE IN OUR CHURCH BUT PRESENTLY AM THE ONLY SO ITS LIKE A COMPETITION.
IF U CAN HEAR IT U CAN PLAY IT.BLESSINGS>>>>

Offline adzidzor

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 08:32:33 AM »
I was the only Musician playing keyboard in a church for four years until I left.  Never missed a Sunday service, seminar or conference for four(4)...yes four(4) years.  I trained a drummer but no bassist so I did bass runs with my left hand on the keyboard, while maneuvering the chords and voices with my right hand.  Played all kinds of rhythms....African, reggae etc.  I was also the only good sound man, so I set up the keyboard close to the sound equipment.  I got frustrated because at a point I realized I was being used so I quit that church.  I am seriously involved in another church now, but taking caution not to repeat the past.

Some Pastors (ab)use musicians.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 01:17:07 PM »
Am not the only one anymore - Pastor's teen has joined us, playing bass lines on a smaller keyboard, just learning...

:D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up