LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anybody have experience with these amps?  (Read 7193 times)

Offline crazyguitardude

• LGM Member

Does anybody have experience with these amps?
« on: April 16, 2010, 11:31:31 AM »
Does anybody have any experience with the Bugera V22 22w 1x12 and Bugera V55 55w 1x12. I am really turned on to the fact that (I think) other than the rectifier, the amp is all tube, and for 350 dollars.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Bugera-V22-22W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105460992-i1470775.gc

My 2 favorite features are the all circuitry, and the triode/pentode switch. I would really like to buy an all tube amp and so far this looks like a really good option.
"Bop it! Flick it! Twist it! Pull it! Spin it! Vom it!!!"

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

Re: Does anybody have experience with these amps?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 02:06:02 PM »
Not personally, but reviews seem to be very mixed.  FWIW, they're actually made by Behringer.  I'd consider a Peavey Classic 30 or Fender Blues Jr. for comparrison.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline Sonar

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 06:03:17 PM »
funkStrat is correct and makes some very good alternative suggestions.

From the BUGERA Warranty:

To obtain warranty service, please contact the retailer from whom the equipment was purchased. Should your BUGERA dealer not be located in your vicinity, you may contact the BEHRINGER distributor for your country listed under Support at www.behringer.com. If your country is not listed, please check if your problem can be dealt with by our Online Support which may also be found under Support at www.behringer.com. Alternatively, please submit an online warranty claim at www.bugera-amps.com BEFORE returning the product. All inquiries must be accompanied by a description of the problem and the serial number of the product. After verifying the products warranty eligibility with the original sales receipt, BEHRINGER will then issue a Return Materials Authorization (RMA) number.

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 07:22:51 AM »
From a sound-only standpoint, I have no qualms with Behringer in my personal exp. I haven't played the amps, but I would apply the same mindset to these as any of the Behringer stuff I own-don't expect it to be as road worthy as your bigger names.

Play it, and if it sounds good, and you're not going to be touring with it, it may be ok.

However, as said before, for the price, you could find used Fenders, Classic 30's, etc. Or, new Carvin stuff.

Just shop around and see what you find.

Offline Sonar

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 08:06:42 AM »
From a sound-only standpoint, I have no qualms with Behringer in my personal exp. I haven't played the amps, but I would apply the same mindset to these as any of the Behringer stuff I own-don't expect it to be as road worthy as your bigger names.

Play it, and if it sounds good, and you're not going to be touring with it, it may be ok.

However, as said before, for the price, you could find used Fenders, Classic 30's, etc. Or, new Carvin stuff.

Just shop around and see what you find.

I have a couple of problems with BEHRINGER products.

The first is build quality...these are not dependable. You can't see inside, but ask any qualified electronics tech/guitar amp repair tech BEFORE you buy one of these.

Second, I have a problem with buying a $400 amp that will re-sell used in six months for $200...and in two years for $125. This isn't just a BEHRINGER problem, but BEHRINGER and Line 6 amps will prove out to be some of the worst resale pigs on the market. Buy a USED Peavey Classic that you can resell basically for what you paid today...in two years.

MOST IMPORTANT to me is the ethical question of supporting a company like BEHRINGER that is based on completely COPYING technology, design and research by others. They simply reproduce everything from major companies (ie. Boss, Peavey, whatever) badly and flood the market with cheaply built knockoffs.

I'm old enough to remember when another company called ISCV Audio in Farmingdale, NY that used to steal technology and design from the successful amp companies in the '60s & '70s.
They knocked off Fender amps with "Earth" amps....and got sued.
So they switched to knocking off Kustom amps with "Plush" amps...and got sued.
So they switched again to knocking off amps by a relatively small new company called Peavey with the "Earth" amps name again...and got sued OFF THE FACE OF THE PLANET. **(NOTE: DON'T mess with Hartley Peavey)**   :o
The finally got the message and stopped doing this garbage.

Do yourself a favor and consider buying a quality USED amp that is worth servicing and/or repairing when the time comes. BEHRINGER amps are akin to disposable VCR and DVD players...but at $300 to $400 per experience, this can get to be an expensive life lesson. I'm just sayin'  :-\

Offline melrhyne

• LGM Member
    • The Art Set

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 09:06:26 AM »
I agree on the build quality on some Behringer products.

They do have to cut cost somewhere, as their products are inexpensive.

Here is the GREAT Allen Hinds using one in his home studio.

I think he also has an endorsement deal with them.
Interview with Allen Hinds XS-2 '59 Burst w/Rosewood Neck & XS-2 '59 Burst w/Maplewood

Alan Hinds performing live at NAMM 2010 for Xotic Guitars and Bugera Amps

If it's good enough for a monster like Allen...

Offline melrhyne

• LGM Member
    • The Art Set

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 09:36:59 AM »

Plus, Gospel's very own (listed here as backing some R&B acts ;)) Erick Walls is an endorser:http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/Stars/ErickWalls.aspx

I know their stuff is probably  different than what the general public gets, but it's probably in the ballpark!

I'm partial to Blackfaces, and [now] Boogies myself.

Offline Sonar

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 10:09:45 AM »

Here is the GREAT Allen Hinds using one in his home studio.

I think he also has an endorsement deal with them.

If it's good enough for a monster like Allen...

Wasn't Alan Hinds endorsing Bogner/Line 6 this time LAST YEAR?   ;)

I guess THAT amp broke or sumptin'  :-\

Still...I'd bet Alan still has those blackface Fenders in his home this time NEXT year no matter WHO is paying him to play their amps.   :D

Bogner Endorser Alan Hinds -- March 17, 2009

Offline melrhyne

• LGM Member
    • The Art Set

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 10:46:10 AM »
So funny that you say that Sonor-he's even using the same song in the different videos ;D!

Hilarious observation!

Truth be told, most of these guys will play whatever they get for free.

Offline melrhyne

• LGM Member
    • The Art Set

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 10:47:52 AM »
Forgive the misspelling- Sonar.

Offline crazyguitardude

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 11:57:48 AM »
Okay I just added the Peavey Classic 30 and Fender Hot Rod Blues Junior to my must try list (and probably bump off the bugera amps).

Quick question, neither the Peavey nor the Fender have standby switches. What does a standby switch do/why is it important?

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 01:16:39 PM »
A standby switch allows the amp to warm up without being active. It also allows you to place the amp in standby without powering it down and having to wait for the power tubes to warm up again. For instance, in between sets.

It's not really a required option, just a convenience.

For instance, on my C30, I just turn my clean channel all the way down and use it as my standby lol, as I never use the clean channel live.

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 04:55:29 PM »
Whew....where to begin...

When I first tried the V22 from Bugera...I didn't like it all. I have to admit, I've spent some time with one recently and have grown to like it quite a bit. I'm not saying it's better than a C30 or a Blues Junior, but it's got it's own thing going. I think the reliability thing is overblown. From what I've read/heard...their return issues to retailers such as GC/Musicians Friend is no more than any other amp. Sure there will be lemons....such is the case with any product...but I think people like to rag on Bugera so you hear it more, but that doesn't make it fact.

As for them ripping off other designs...every company does. Geez, the original Marshall design was built on a Fender Bassman Chassis for goodness sake. There are so many variations of amps/designs I just don't see that argument. And to their credit, they incorporate some pretty cool features the other designs might not have had. Are they as good?? That's debatable....but are the other amps 5 times better to equal the cost difference...I doubt it.

As for the Line6 comparisons....again, most of those tirades are from people who have rarely used the product. And for the record, any pawn shop i go into, i see just as many Peavey's/Fenders/Marshalls as I do anything else. I've had 5 L6 amps and 3 incarnations of the Pod (XT, XTLive, X3), I've also had a Dl4 and an M13. I've traveled the country playing them. They've survived thousands of miles in airplanes/baggage handlers, they've survived being set-up and torn down, and I've NEVER had one minutes problem with them, EVER. I played with my Spider-Valve/Pod X3 combo for over 2 years without a backup and never had ONE issue. I think it's fashionable to bag on certain brands....but again, it's usually by people with little to no experience with the product.

I'm not trying to talk you into a Bugera or  Line6...but don't be dissuaded either. Play the amps you are interested in.....whatever sounds good and inspires you to play is what you should buy. If you want the Bugera and are really worried about reliability issues, then get the extended coverage at GC.

Offline crazyguitardude

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 02:20:19 PM »
Thanks jlynnb1, I totally get your point. It's just that I would really rather do my research and buy one amp, than buy an amp and decide I don't like it. However, there is a tried and true remedy for this. I can just go to GC and try the amps.

The part I like about the bugera is that it has a pentode/triode switch, so the amp gives me two different sounds to mess around with. However, the Peavey and the Fender are a "better" brand, with a "better sound. But because better is subjective to the person, I can be the judge of that.

I guess in the end I will just go with whichever one is the better value. I have a Randall KH-15 amp (80 usd) and a digitech RP255 (150 usd. Totally awesome unit IMHO). I can get some really good sounds out of it, but it feels like the pedal is pulling all the weight, and the amp is just there to make noise. The amp I'm looking for doesn't have to be the god of all amps, but it would be nice to have a decent amp to play my pedal thru.

Amps to try: Fender blues junior, Peavey Classic 30, maybe the Bugera amps, any other suggestions?

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 04:19:41 PM »
Behringer got a bad rap for their amps (I've read a lot of bad reviews of the durability of their bass amps), but their mixers, effects, and other items seem to be fairly solid.  In fact, if you're looking for a good direct box, the GDI-21 is an excellent alternative to the SansAmp GT-1.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 08:07:11 AM »
Behringer got a bad rap for their amps (I've read a lot of bad reviews of the durability of their bass amps), but their mixers, effects, and other items seem to be fairly solid.  In fact, if you're looking for a good direct box, the GDI-21 is an excellent alternative to the SansAmp GT-1.

When Behringer first hit the market, they did so by producing Mackie-clone mixers.
Lawsuits followed...but Behringer was not to be stopped and they flooded the market with all kinds of low-buck gear that undercut everyone. They were one of the first big names to produce everything in China and the quality on the older gear really suffered, but I think they've improved a bit.

I've never tried a Bugera amp yet, but I'm sure I will in the future.
I'm sure it'll be as good/bad as all of the other low-buck tube amps out there right now.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline Sonar

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 07:37:53 AM »
As for the Line6 comparisons....again, most of those tirades are from people who have rarely used the product. And for the record, any pawn shop i go into, i see just as many Peavey's/Fenders/Marshalls as I do anything else. I've had 5 L6 amps and 3 incarnations of the Pod (XT, XTLive, X3), I've also had a Dl4 and an M13. I've traveled the country playing them. They've survived thousands of miles in airplanes/baggage handlers, they've survived being set-up and torn down, and I've NEVER had one minutes problem with them, EVER. I played with my Spider-Valve/Pod X3 combo for over 2 years without a backup and never had ONE issue. I think it's fashionable to bag on certain brands....but again, it's usually by people with little to no experience with the product.

That's funny. I always thought the fashionable thing was to be seen buying the latest newest thing that Line 6 shoved out on the market. I know several guys that serial purchased 5 or more amps that Line 6 made in the last 10 years. Interestingly, none of them seem to be using any of that gear today.  ::)

I still have ALL the VHT amps I bought over 10 years ago along with my used Fender Twin Reverb, '76 Marshall 50-watt half stack, '64 Fender Deluxe Reverb and Roland JC120. As a bonus, all my amps are still worth every penny I paid for them because I purchased wisely and USED. Some are worth quite a bit more actually.  :)

I'm not trying to talk you into a Bugera or  Line6...but don't be dissuaded either. Play the amps you are interested in.....whatever sounds good and inspires you to play is what you should buy. If you want the Bugera and are really worried about reliability issues, then get the extended coverage at GC.

Not EVERY interesting amp rig that inspires is automatically a good idea.

Shop wisely.  ;D

DISCLAIMER: Know that I may disagree with jlynnb1 on occasion, but it's like a brother and done with good heart and a tongue planted firmly in cheek (with a big grin).  ;)

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 05:46:47 PM »
lol, no doubt Sonar, no doubt. I think i Line6 modeled that amp on the Spider.  ;D

Anyway, would I have a modeling rig now?? No...not for my main rig. I think they are still good recording toys, and if any company can ever come up with one that feels like a real tube amp I'll be more than happy to revisit my stance. I actually love my amp right now (Genz Benz Diablo 60 Head with 2x12), my issue is that I'm trying to find a MFX to run with it as a pedal-board...because I really don't want to dive back into the world of analog FX...but it doesn't look good.

My other issue with modelers is that there are too many options....and my personality is such that I am a tweaker, and I'll be totally happy one day and then hate it the next...so I spend hours going through different amp/cab models/eq'sfx....only to hate it all again in a week. I narrowed down the tone I wanted and my amp is delivering it (for the moment, HA!!)

also funny you mention VHT....one of the amps on my must try/buy one day is a VHT/Fryette Sig:X.

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 08:25:19 PM »

DUDE... I'd play that JUST for the stage presence... and do those horns rotate, a'la Leslie? lol

Offline crazyguitardude

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 06:59:08 AM »
In the book "The Restaurant at the end of the Universe" (sequel to "The Hitchhikers' guide to the Galaxy") a band is setting up to play on some planet.

The amps are so big the people have to be 10 miles away (give or take some faulty memory) in an underground bunker to listen to the concert. And the band isn't even playing on stage. The band "plays" their instruments by remote control. Imagine the feedback on that. 8) ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up