LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anybody have experience with these amps?  (Read 7194 times)

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

Re: Does anybody have experience with these amps?
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 10:17:23 AM »
Remember laserdiscs? Lol. My friend had one that had that on it! Hilarious!

Offline crazyguitardude

• LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 03:29:15 PM »
In the intrests of not creating another "hey what about this (object)" topic, I'll just post another question here.

Would getting amp and a cab separately for the same amount of money as another kind of combo result in a better deal for your money.

Example: The fender blues jr. All tube. 500 dollars.   or
             Jet city amp and cab -> http://www.guitarcenter.com/-i1524103.gc

And just for the sake of argument, depending on how you did your research, would getting a more expensive amp and a less expensive cab give you a better sound then an equally priced combo.

(note: the above example was not meant to compare brand names or anything of the like, but merely to express the above question: Would x amp and y cab sound as good/better/worse than y combo?)
"Bop it! Flick it! Twist it! Pull it! Spin it! Vom it!!!"

Offline Senior Voltage

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 08:15:08 PM »
Does anybody have any experience with the Bugera V22 22w 1x12 and Bugera V55 55w 1x12. I am really turned on to the fact that (I think) other than the rectifier, the amp is all tube, and for 350 dollars.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Bugera-V22-22W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105460992-i1470775.gc

My 2 favorite features are the all circuitry, and the triode/pentode switch. I would really like to buy an all tube amp and so far this looks like a really good option.

It seems like every week somebody comes out with a new high end amp for some amazingly cheap price. The funny thing is when they get to my shop they all apear to be made out of the same bargain basement parts. If it were my money I'd rather buy a decent used amp (I see somebody suggested a peavey classic not a bad choice) that I know will not only be worth something in a few years but you will be able to get replacement parts.

You also have to look at the build quality. The 9mm plastic pots they use in these amps are not nearly as robust as the ones used in old peavey, fender, marshall and even crate amps can stand the test of time much better than the little plastic pots used in the Bugera, Bogner,black heart, eggnator and whatever new name will come out next week. Not to mention the sub standard transformer and Fisher price jacks.

Also it begs the question. If a new car company started selling cars for $8,000 would you run out and buy one?

Offline melrhyne

• LGM Member
    • The Art Set

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 08:20:04 PM »
It seems like every week somebody comes out with a new high end amp for some amazingly cheap price. The funny thing is when they get to my shop they all apear to be made out of the same bargain basement parts. If it were my money I'd rather buy a decent used amp (I see somebody suggested a peavey classic not a bad choice) that I know will not only be worth something in a few years but you will be able to get replacement parts.

You also have to look at the build quality. The 9mm plastic pots they use in these amps are not nearly as robust as the ones used in old peavey, fender, marshall and even crate amps can stand the test of time much better than the little plastic pots used in the Bugera, Bogner,black heart, eggnator and whatever new name will come out next week. Not to mention the sub standard transformer and Fisher price jacks.

Also it begs the question. If a new car company started selling cars for $8,000 would you run out and buy one?

Great first post, and welcome to LGM!

Offline Senior Voltage

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 08:33:52 PM »
why thank you. hey does your message box insiston scrollingup when you type?

Offline Sonar

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 08:43:19 PM »

And just for the sake of argument, depending on how you did your research, would getting a more expensive amp and a less expensive cab give you a better sound then an equally priced combo.

(note: the above example was not meant to compare brand names or anything of the like, but merely to express the above question: Would x amp and y cab sound as good/better/worse than y combo?)

No better or worse sound. Different. Sealed cabinet vs. open back combo...whatever.

Of course, a cheap cabinet will undoubtedly SOUND like a cheap cabinet.

So it depends entirely on what you wish to accomplish.

Do you WANT to haul around TWO pieces of equipment instead on one? Get the head and cab.

I took this Fender amp head...

...and put it in a 1-15" combo-style cabinet.

Does it SOUND different?

Well...yeah. But only because it's in a completely different speaker environment and configuration.

Like comparing a Gibson semi-hollow 335-style guitar to a Gibson solid body Les Paul guitar. Same pickups, tuners, knobs, bridge, stop tailpiece, etc....yet a completely different vibe and physical sound.

Offline Senior Voltage

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 08:54:38 PM »
You know you can get into big trouble changing those face plates like that ;)

Offline Sonar

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 09:03:35 PM »

$8,000?  Don't be silly!

I'm holding out for one of those new stripped-down 1.6L Nissan Versas at $9,300.  ;D

You get what you pay for...so I'm layin' down that extra grand or so for QUALITY!  ;)

And just for the sake of argument, depending on how you did your research, would getting a more expensive hatchback version give you a better ride than an equally priced sedan?

(Note: the above example was not meant to compare brand names or anything of the like, but merely to express the above question: Would x hatchback be as good/better/worse than y sedan?)

:-\

Offline Sonar

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 09:07:34 PM »
You know you can get into big trouble changing those face plates like that ;)

Sounds like my luck.  ::)

Behringer can completely copy entire amp lines in China BADLY...

..and I'D get busted for buying a "VibroClone" faceplate to be honest about my project amp.  :'(  :'(

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2010, 09:38:33 PM »
Sounds like my luck.  ::)

Behringer can completely copy entire amp lines in China BADLY...

..and I'D get busted for buying a "VibroClone" faceplate to be honest about my project amp.  :'(  :'(

We're talking FENDER here... they are notorious for product tracking...

Why, I'm CONVINCED that since I bought a used Tele in 1994, that they now have my children's SS#'s..  ;)

Offline crazyguitardude

• LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 06:47:38 AM »
So in short amp/cab vs. combo is really just a matter of preference. Like saying Fender dual reverb vs marshall half stack. Just a preference of which sound you want to get.

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 11:37:09 AM »
Pretty much...

It has more to do with the speaker size, type, and number of them, and the cab type and design than the fact of if it's attached to the head or not.

But, yes, that all boils down to preference. I feel a head/cab setup is more versatile, as you can swap cabs for different tonal emphasis, etc. For instance, my head through my open back 212 sounds like a whole different amp than through the closed 412.

Offline Sonar

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 04:21:54 PM »
So in short amp/cab vs. combo is really just a matter of preference. Like saying Fender dual reverb vs marshall half stack. Just a preference of which sound you want to get.

That tall Fender Bandmaster Reverb amp with 2-12" cab I put up in the photo above is the same chassis as the Fender Vibroverb (1-15" combo) and the Fender Super Reverb (4-10" combo). (They basically differ only by the output transformer needed for the different speaker ohmages required for the different speaker configurations)

OR

A Marshall 2104 JMP Master Volume Lead 50W 2x12" COMBO

is the same chassis as a 2204 JMP Master Volume Lead 50W HEAD.

SO...

...As a Fender sounds different from a Marshall, the same chassis from either one of these companies will sound different from the SAME chassis by the SAME company when placed into a different speaker environment (ie: closed back cabinet vs. open back cabinet OR combo cab vs. single sealed cab OR multiple speakers vs. a single speaker, etc.)

Offline Senior Voltage

• LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2010, 08:01:28 PM »

(Note: the above example was not meant to compare brand names or anything of the like, but merely to express the above question: Would x hatchback be as good/better/worse than y sedan?)

:-\

Yes it would that's why you should spend the extra money and buy the line6 amp with the bogner logo;)

[/quote]

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2010, 08:25:13 PM »
if it sounds good and inspires you to play who cares what name is on the front?? I'm not trying to say a Line6 amp is on par with a Matchless or a Diezel or a Hiwatt or a Divided by 13....but if a person enjoys it that all that matters. The corksniffermentality that is rampant in guitar forums gets ollllllddddd.

Offline Senior Voltage

• LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2010, 08:48:55 PM »
Another reason why you will never see me buy one is because even though you can't buy a cordless phone that's not made by the chinese you can at least buy a guitar amp that isn't made by a country that murders religious prisoners to harvest their organs
http://religiousfreedomnews.blogspot.com/2010/04/china-harvesting-believers-organs.html
but hey what do I know? ;)

Offline crazyguitardude

• LGM Member

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010, 07:00:52 AM »
They don't harvest the organs Senior Voltage, they eat them, big difference  ;).

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 08:20:43 AM »
all i know is that if i didn't buy something based on my moral/ethical objections with the country of manufacture, I probably just would stop buying things all together, including American made.

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 09:41:25 AM »
That's pretty deep, jlynn. And I say that completely straight-faced.

We are in the midst of some serious stuff even here on our soil. This isn't the room for it, but look around you... It's everywhere.

It's even more noticeable in the gargantuan corporate climate I work in... I can't even get into it, but tolerance has gotten severely out of hand, and now WE'RE the oppressed minority-not that ANYONE should be the oppressed minority... That's not right either. But you understand what i'm saying

Having said all that, I'll never part with my C30 or my 5150... Tone is tone lol jk

Offline crazyguitardude

• LGM Member

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 11:08:41 AM »
Well, we have an obligation to make moral decisions, but sometimes i think that if every single thing we did were based on a moral decision we wouldn't be able to live. Practicaly everything in this world is tied in some way to something that someone will oppose. The key is to be able to filter things out.

I'm going to start listenging to some real musicians. I plan on getting some cd's from Stevie Ray Vaughan, Carlos Santana, and others. Unfortunately I haven't found any critically aclaimed Christian musician in blues style or rock etc. (I say this because if you are good, everybody, even people who don't like you, will notice). All of the best in these areas are secular musicians. The key is to filter what they say.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up