LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why did you choose that selection?  (Read 1181 times)

Offline CHI-MD

• LGM Member

Why did you choose that selection?
« on: April 26, 2010, 04:15:36 AM »
I'm just looking for ideas from other MOMS in choosing selections. I very rarely choose a popular song or selection based off of what's being played on the radio unless my spirit feels that the song can glorify God and edify the congregation. I usually go deep into a CD and find songs just as good as the artist's single. Sometimes I will even listen to artist that are not well know but their songs are just as effective. I find great songs that glorify God, and I look for a lot of songs that give encouraging words to uplift...especially with the rough times of today. When I do choose a song I will listen to it countless times before even teaching it to the choir, but on rare occasions I have listened to a song and taught it the same day. Yes I also pray on my selection.

I also choose songs based on my choir's ability. They can be kind of lazy at times.

How do you guys choose songs for your choir or praise & worship team...Theres always more than one way of doing things

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: Why did you choose that selection?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:26:10 AM »
Because we use tracks, it limits what I can choose. But, in my choosing songs, I select in much the same way you do.

In putting songs together, I like to use a theme.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline JoanHall

• LGM Member
    • My gospel choir web pages

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 08:42:23 AM »
I fondly remember the days (back when I was single and had disposable income), when I would buy lots of gospel albums and just listen to all kinds of stuff.  And yes, I would find some real treasures that were not being played on the radio.  In order to find a great song, I usually had to listen to a whole lot of lame ones, but it was worth it.

These days I can't afford to spend that kind of money, so I tend to "discover" songs that someone is blogging or tweeting about or that I stumble on on YouTube.  Also I will learn songs at conferences and workshops and bring them home.

My criteria for what songs I teach include:
  • The theme of the song.  It has to be aligned with my own convictions and those of our church, and there's definitely some stuff around these days that doesn't.
  • I want to really love the music.  The word and message of the Lord is too beautiful to be set to cheesy music.
  • I'm blessed with choir members who are willing to put some work into their ministry, so I rarely have to reject a song based on the level of difficulty.  (If the key isn't right for us, I'll change it.)
  • I have an unconscious tendency to avoid songs that I feel like EVERYBODY is singing, but we still end up learning some of those because when I ask the choir members to suggest songs that they'd like to learn, those are the song they pick.

Offline abluke78

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 05:07:11 PM »
I choose also base on what are my choirs strength along the message of the song. I first listen to the message and I feel it in my spirit then I go with. Plus I usually go into deep prayer asking God which songs this week.
Pages: [1]   Go Up