LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass Guitar Secrects- Alex Sampson  (Read 4417 times)

Offline JQuad

• LGM Member
  • Keep the bass movin'..always keep the bass movin'

Bass Guitar Secrects- Alex Sampson
« on: March 12, 2010, 10:14:30 AM »
I have the chopz accelorator and gospel bass items and I am benefiting greatly from them 8).  I am seriously leaning towards purchasing "BGS"! But I'm a little skeptical of what it entails and how to use the groove station and jam box. I know so far it has:
 * a book of 49 riffs
 * a chord mastery book
 * Jam box?
 * a fretboard training module?
 * BGS groove station?

the other two books : the groove secrects and some other book are the ones in questions. I need feedback before I make my purchase.

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Bass Guitar Secrects- Alex Sampson
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 02:06:16 PM »
I replied to your message, but for the general public: if you don't mind reading alot getting "Bass Guitar Secrets" for $49 is a pretty good deal, especially if you end up installing the software on a Mac and a PC (which I did). For me, the course is less about mastering the bass in 5 easy steps, but more about getting grounded in the fundamentals like scales, chords and modes(volume 1), then applying the fundamentals in (chord progressions, note choices, playing different genres). If you completely hate the method of instruction, the software that is included is first rate:

Programmable Metronome: allows you to set to various rhythm patterns, as well as insert "silence" to teach keeping time without a drummer
Jambox: programmable drum chains (pickups, fills, pattern variations) in about 50 styles
Groove Station: loop player (of drums, keyboards and guitar) that gives you a scrolling chord progression to follow along
Fretboard Memory game: teaches chord structures and intervals in a "find the next note" fashion.

For me, Bass Guitar Secrets, Bass Chopz Accelerator, and The Contemporary Gospel Bass Player were well worth the money I spent.

Offline Asahel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 03:22:12 PM »
I also have BGS and found that it was a good investment, if only for the tools it comes with.  Where I decided to depart from the course was when Alex talks about "formulas" for navigating the fretboard.  While it is all good, I decided that I didn't want to approach learning the fretboard from a "visual" approach.  Yes I need to know what a certain scale looks like, but more than that I want to learn how it "feels" and "sounds" like.  To this end I am following Adam Nitti's approach to learning scales: singing them, the whole scale, intervals, triads, etc.

Now, to do Alex justice, it was a good $49 spent.  It was my first course ever and introduced me to the world of bass playing.  Besides Alex was first class throughout the whole ordeal, following up with assignments and support.  Add to that his 100% unconditional guarantee and I will say right now that I feel Alex is a class act.

Asahel
Phillippians 1:6

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 12:21:19 PM »
I just want to point out that the "formula" has more to do with understanding the mathematical nature of the bass. Look at the fretboard: it looks like a grid! Now if I can internalize the chord shapes and the interval locations from any root note, I will always know where to find the next note. This method appeals to me because it suits my learning style, but it is not for everyone. I think his later courses focus on the other mentioned practice methods, such as singing the note name or singing the interval as you play the notes. There is one exercise that I hope to become proficient: sing it, then play it in a call and response fashion. This is different from your typical call and response which allows for "watch me and do what I do". The sing it, then play it" absolutely test your ear training and fretboard mastery. I'm not there yet, but striving to get better everyday. 

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 02:21:18 PM »
Do all of his charts and study aids apply to both four and five string basses? In other words, are there tabs and fretboard charts, lick suggestions etc. made up for five string as well as four?

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 03:09:46 PM »
He includes instruction for 4 5 6 string bass. If you want licks for 5 string and up, you need to get DVD course.

Offline cordney

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • We will meet again!!!

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 04:21:13 PM »
I didn't order BGS but I just order Gospel Bass Playing (I Think)...it seems interesting.
‎"It is okay to fail, it is unacceptable to become a failure"

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 07:55:47 PM »
It is very interesting. Even better it includes content that should take you quite some time to digest and master. Now you will have to wade through some "inescapable infomercials", but bear with Alex, the good stuff is in there. In particular, DVD 2 The Vocabulary has an excellent demonstration of using 7 chord stuctures to apply modes over common chord progressions. With each demonstration, Alex gives some suggestions on how to practice and apply the chord structures and if you happen to own BGS Jambox, you can play along with the same backing tracks he uses in the demos.

PS I discovered a way to make the infomercials less annoying: if you play the DVD on a DVD player or laptop that has a "play from last stop point" feature, you can avoid watching the infomercials everytime.

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 12:25:05 PM »
The dvd course?  Do you mean, rather than the download?

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 06:48:57 AM »
I would like to know if the "Bass Guitar Secrets" course that is $49.00 which is presented on cds that you can put into your computer has diagrams, tabs and other material specifically for a five string guitar.(as well as four) I would hate to order the course only to find that you have to translate the material to five string use as best you can. I know that I can get my money back, but if someone who has the course can supply the answer, it would help. This question is a biggie because four string material does not incorporate the advantage of the b string into the material.(goes without saying)  Upon first blush, the course seems to be one that would be fun to study, but only if it applies to five string basses.   

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 03:47:30 PM »
I ordered the $49.00 version of "bass guitar secrets" sold by Alex Sampson.  When I receive it and have had time to review it, I will make a comprehensive report on the content of the offering.  My only real concern is how well it relates to the five string bass.   However, I will give you my best and of course, an honest opinion of the course.  I am almost certain that I will have fun and learn while jamming with the tracks offered, using licks that he (provides).

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 01:06:44 PM »
I received the course in record time, but the CD-ROM wouldn't work in my computer. I started to look for a means to call Alex's company for a new one, or for advice on the one I had(there were absolutely no instructions in the box for in case of error or who to call).  I discovered that in all that advertisement, there is no way to call if you have a problem.  You have to file a report on the computer and wait for them to contact you.  I registered and filed a report. That was late thursday night.  It is monday afternoon and I have not heard anything from them.  I would have liked to have had some simple instructions concerning what to look for when the CD is inserted into the computer, and a number to call if it absolutely didn't work.  Or at least a computer chat person at the company(they indicate a chat person, but give no means of accessing him).  Absent any instructions about what to expect, I spent thirty minutes or more trying to get the CD to work assuring that it was not my error or my computer. 
I am confident that I will hear from them, but the process could stand some work. I will report on their reply.

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 03:43:37 PM »
I have had to contact Alex on 2 occasions. Both times I went to http://www.bgtsupport.com and recieved a prompt response. I feel for you, nothing is worse than getting something new, and find out it doesn't work.

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 04:38:11 PM »
Thanks, Kev.  It is somewhat frustrating. I think that they could stand to make some improvements that wouldn't be very expensive that would prevent some calls, and make the resolution of others go much smoother. What really makes me say that is the wordiness of his ad.  He is at no loss for words. A few words included with the product would help. People just feel better if a business at least lets you have a computer chat with them when things go wrong.(that is, if you can't call)  Or an immediate response E-Mail saying we are sorry about the problem and are working to resolve it.(even though they aren't right then)

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 10:40:31 PM »
I have been notified that a new package will be sent to me tomorrow.  If it is received as fast as the last one was, I will have it very soon.  I will make a comprehensive review as forestated.

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 12:28:17 PM »
I'm glad its working out for you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up