LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting!!!!!  (Read 8736 times)

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

Interesting!!!!!
« on: May 11, 2010, 01:25:57 PM »
Bishop Lester Love Putting A Twist On Love Songs

How many would have played at this service?

I would have. 

Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

Re: Interesting!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 01:40:12 PM »
Bishop Lester Love Putting A Twist On Love Songs

How many would have played at this service?

I would have. 

I would finish the service and tender my resignation. 
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline dremy2006

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Buckeye burl Hand-made......
    • DR Custom Basses

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
.....yeap and this is where the Church is going...... ?/?  :-\
Allowing the Creator To use His Creation To Create for you.....

Offline ssab

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 02:35:38 PM »
Just when i thought i've seen everything.  A LITTLE LEAVEN..... 1 COR. 5:6-7

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 03:02:18 PM »
I know people watching this video is wondering why I asked this. I really do have a reason. From watching the various responses to the tony russell video, I thought this would be interesting to recieve some responses, especially to the first song. How many remember Kirk Franklin's "Silver and Gold" song? I just looked up the lyrics to his song and Alicia's, and honestly, she just paraphrased everything from Kirk's song. The other example that's not in the video is R. Kelly's "I believe I can fly". Yolanda took it a step further and sang the exact same words. What I'm trying to say is that we shouldn't get caught up with secular vs. gospel so deep. I think that some people feel that the person who wrote this or that particular song makes the words unGodly, which is not true. I remember on a local gospel station people were calling upset at Bebe and Cece Winan's song, "Close to you." There explanation was that it didn't reference God anywhere in the lyrics. I don't want anyone to get the impression that I'm not a believer and follower of Christ, I'm 100% for Christ.

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 03:27:30 PM »
So people, help me to understand how this is wrong? Can you say that the lyrics to the song, "Always and Forever" as performed by Heatwave, are not 100% true of God's love? Who do you know (besides GOD) who can say

That the love they have for your will be the same tomorrow
That the love they give you is the love you always dream of
That the love they give to you will make you forget all your hurts, fears and troubles
That they have been planning to show you how much they love you for a very long time

Doesn't Scripture say that God loves us with an everlasting love?
Doesn't Scripture say that God will never leave us nor forsake us?
Doesn't Scripture say that God loved us before we were born and that chose us to be His very special possesion?

I get the concern; far too many preachers pass off secular pandering to our "felt needs" as just reaching the people where they are, but I don't think this minister is off base. In fact, of all the lyrics of all the love songs, Jesus is the only one who could say the words, and everyone of them would be true. How's that for interesting?

Offline cordney

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • We will meet again!!!

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 03:38:12 PM »
I loved the video!!!
‎"It is okay to fail, it is unacceptable to become a failure"

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 03:52:24 PM »
I wish I could be like you dd and kevmove and be able to enjoy music such as this and praise God. But when I hear it, I do not always immediately realize that the artist singing the song is praising God. And that is where my problem lies with these type of discussions

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 06:56:57 PM »
the problem isn't the words. The problem is that we know the the originals were meant for and were talking about, so you subconsciously connect that. 

And how do we know that they aren't talking about God? Because they don't mention God. If you're singing about God you're not going to HIDE it by not saying his name.  We know that these songs were meant to help you get your "freak on", so why even bring that kind of feel into a church?!?!

Lets put it this way, GOSPEL is about spreaing the word of Jesus Christ our Lord and savior, so HOW ON EARTH can you spread the Gospel if you don't even mention him?  Also how on earth are non believers suppose to know you're singing about Gospel if you don't mention him? The bottom line is that you can't and they won't know.

Since we've deduced that this is no longer Gospel the next question is, then what is it? well it's an attempt at a cross over to make more money, that's all. There's no black or white on the subject.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anything wrong with ALL secular music, however when you try to pawn it off as Gospel it's a mockery! Call a spade a spade and lets keep it moving.

The final point is, what purpose does non gospel music have in a church who's mission is to teach the gospel?!?!! the answer is none, once again no black or white about it.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 08:43:06 PM »
If I would have been informed ahead of time that this was how the service was going to be conducted, I would have expressed my concerns with it.  If nothing changed, then I would not have played.  If I happened to already be in position, playing through the service and it "went in this direction", I would have just rode it out and discussed it with the appropriate people afterward.  I doubt that I would quit over this unless I thought the potential for recurrence was high.

I play at a church where we play Joe Pace's "I Will Bless The Lord At All Times" (the music is pretty much the Staple Singers "I'll Take You There") and "Let It Rain" (the music is a mild adaptation of Prince's "Purple Rain").  But the lyrics in neither case parallels the secular songs that the music is based on.  For me, that's fine.  And I don't have a problem with playing the secular versions of either song in the right setting.  I also don't have a problem with playing the secular versions of any of the songs Bishop Lester Love sang, in the proper setting.  The sanctuary is not what I would consider the right setting.  btjm
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 08:54:40 PM »
What about Karen and kierra singing Jill Scott's "He Loves me"?

Offline ssab

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 10:55:21 PM »
1 CORINTHIANS 5:6-7 LITTLE LEAVEN....

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 10:56:39 PM »
i can just imagine one of the musicians playing this while someone in the audience or choir giving them the eye. wink wink. lol.

im thinking this had to be known in advance, unless the musicians normal play these songs because they were immediately in synch.

but i know some people wouldve been asking the usher could they have their dollar back that they put in the offering earlier.

and guys that are married, no more love songs to ur wife. songs to Jesus only. lol
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline cordney

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • We will meet again!!!

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 11:20:09 PM »
I think we over react as Christians!  There have been many gospel songs were the music derived from the secular setting, but because the words have been changed dramatically...it's ok.  However, I looked at the songs that the Bishop was singing and thought, "These words really don't need to be changed because that's how I feel about him."

Offline ssabass

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 11:22:33 PM »
I actually liked it. He took love songs & sung them in a church setting. I thought the songs that he picked are great examples of what love is about. The only intent the song writer had was to write a beautiful love song. Maybe to there spouse, fiance or just someone they loved or as he did, he chose to use Christ as the one he loved. Check out the book Song of Solomon in the bible. Solomon is laying it on thick. I don't know if those are love songs, love letters or whatever. But it tells me, what that brotha was doing is ok. Especially considering the songs he chose. Now if would have picked R Kelly's "12 plays" or Silks "I wanna get freaky with you", then there would a biiig problem. But Always & Forever, Reunited & that Alicia Keys song, get real fellas. 

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 11:27:48 PM »
I actually liked it. He took love songs & sung them in a church setting. I thought the songs that he picked are great examples of what love is about. The only intent the song writer had was to write a beautiful love song. Maybe to there spouse, fiance or just someone they loved or as he did, he chose to use Christ as the one he loved. Check out the book Song of Solomon in the bible. Solomon is laying it on thick. I don't know if those are love songs, love letters or whatever. But it tells me, what that brotha was doing is ok. Especially considering the songs he chose. Now if would have picked R Kelly's "12 plays" or Silks "I wanna get freaky with you", then there would a biiig problem. But Always & Forever, Reunited & that Alicia Keys song, get real fellas. 

I agree. esp. about the songs of solomon. If he could sing about love, why cant we?

I just finished the video; imo its not a big deal if this was a one time thing, but I wouldnt want that every service

Offline pocham

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 12:18:01 AM »
And the scriptures tell us "there is nothing new under the sun" This is not anything new Rev James Clevland took a Gladys Knight son an made his own and visa versa. God used a mule,donkey,*** to get his point across. Our God uses all to move. Why cant we as christians have love songs that are deep and meaning full to our Lord and savior. We dont play the old hyms that our parents and grandparents came up on but we still love the Lord our God just the same. Lets not take away from the big picture as one of you said Jesus is the answer!

Offline blacklw234

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 03:48:52 AM »
I'm getting ready to start something, not to offend but to demonstrate how denominations can effect the opinions of GOD's People. Here it goes.... I will go out on a limb and say that most of those who oppose this video is from a COGIC/HOLYNESS background. Maybe Pentecostal. Those who are Baptist really don't see it one way are the other. Some will be for it and some will not. Those who are non-denominational without a COGIC/HOLYNESS/PENTECOSRTAL influence will love it. My point is, it is all based on your teachings on how you respond to this video. In my opinion and based off of my understanding of the WORD OF GOD this is perfectly ok. Because he is giving the glory to GOD. Its for the uplifting of GOD. I mean, the beat can be from "BOMBS OVER BAGDAD by Outkast" but if the lyrics is "JESUS IS KING" that is glorifying GOD. Which is good. Just think about the runs you play on the Bass Guitar, do you think that only Gospel bass players have made those runs. No.... R&B, Rap, Rock Bass players play those same runs. So do we say, because he made that run in a secular song we can't do it in a Gospel song? NO... So basically you can duplicate any tune as long as your goal is to Glorify God. I think this was beautiful.
I play a LTD ESP C-305 Bass

Offline cordney

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • We will meet again!!!

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 04:53:11 AM »
I have a Pentacostal background and I love it!!!!

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 05:54:58 AM »
I'm getting ready to start something, not to offend but to demonstrate how denominations can effect the opinions of GOD's People. Here it goes.... I will go out on a limb and say that most of those who oppose this video is from a COGIC/HOLYNESS background. Maybe Pentecostal. Those who are Baptist really don't see it one way are the other. Some will be for it and some will not. Those who are non-denominational without a COGIC/HOLYNESS/PENTECOSRTAL influence will love it. My point is, it is all based on your teachings on how you respond to this video. In my opinion and based off of my understanding of the WORD OF GOD this is perfectly ok. Because he is giving the glory to GOD. Its for the uplifting of GOD. I mean, the beat can be from "BOMBS OVER BAGDAD by Outkast" but if the lyrics is "JESUS IS KING" that is glorifying GOD. Which is good. Just think about the runs you play on the Bass Guitar, do you think that only Gospel bass players have made those runs. No.... R&B, Rap, Rock Bass players play those same runs. So do we say, because he made that run in a secular song we can't do it in a Gospel song? NO... So basically you can duplicate any tune as long as your goal is to Glorify God. I think this was beautiful.

+1, I think doctrine is getting involved versus the word of God. I'm from a holiness background, and if I was still there, I would have clearly said something was wrong with it. But when I got older and started to understand the word with my own understanding and not someone else's own personal view, this music is clearly speaking about the love of God from this bishop in this setting. PHbrown said something that made perfectly good sense, he stated the immediately see these artist praising God with these songs. What I'm noticing with all these secular vs. gospel settings is that people can't get past the artist and listen to the words of the songs. That's where the meaning is. None of these songs spoke about getting your freak on, they simple are love songs to be sung to your loved one. God, is the loved one in this video. So in essence, I'm sure some people take offense to Dave Hollister singing with Hezekiah Walker, or Al Green being in the ministry, or Patte Labelle singing in the ministry.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up