LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: You gotta get a six string.....  (Read 2009 times)

Offline bradleymoorer

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bringing da bass in Jesus name!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/minbrad

You gotta get a six string.....
« on: May 19, 2010, 01:55:53 PM »
Someone told me this after a concert a couple of weeks ago, kinda got upset about it, I don't think that just because you have a six string you are automatically a good bass player, I will prolly eventually get a six string, but for now I am pretty comfortable with the five, kinda like I was with the four. I think I should master one before I move in to the next.

What do guys think?
Bradley AKA Bass Monkey

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

Re: You gotta get a six string.....
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 02:02:27 PM »
Whomever said that solos too much ;)

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 02:15:30 PM »
Nah! A six string is not for everyone. Certainly not for me and I've been playing since the early 70's! A 5 string is all I need to make a joyful noise!
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline bradleymoorer

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bringing da bass in Jesus name!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/minbrad

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 02:25:19 PM »
Whomever said that solos too much ;)

nah worse, he don't even play

Nah! A six string is not for everyone. Certainly not for me and I've been playing since the early 70's! A 5 string is all I need to make a joyful noise!
I tell I can do a lot with a 5 so until God gives me the anointing to move the six I am staying put!
Bradley AKA Bass Monkey

Offline ddwilkins

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Arsenal!!!!
    • D'Wayne's Spot

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 02:32:13 PM »
I'm working on my 6 string right now!!!! ;D
Keep God first and he'll do the rest!!!

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 02:32:56 PM »
I play a 6 string bass, and ive only been playing for 8 months. Dont get me wrong for only playing 8 months i am truly blessed, but the only reason and i mean only i play a 6 string is because I was in GC playing around with different basses and i happen to pick up a six, and ever since then i couldnt drop it. The feel of the neck felt so natural to my fingers, and my hands. It felt so, so comfortable, and still today i play my 6 just because of its feel...i hardly ever play the C string. I have a 4 and a 6, i skipped over the 5 just because i loved the feel of that 6. So in saying that....there are different reasons people play different basses, so all in all....just do you.

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 02:42:14 PM »
One of the things that is frightening consistent is that no matter where you are or what you are doing, there is always someone who isn't doing anything trying to tell you how to do it better. I have to admit that I was astonished how good it felt to play a six string bass. I had to pass though because it felt like G.A.S. (no pun intended). Right now, my fiver sits in the corner, cause I'm loving the 4 string!

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 02:48:21 PM »
G.A.S???

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 02:52:12 PM »
Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 03:00:57 PM »
G.A.S???

Gear Acquisition Syndrome: The feeling you get when you want to buy new gear just because you feel you need it when you don't really need it.

Offline cordney

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • We will meet again!!!

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 03:14:59 PM »
I have a 6er but right now I'm focused on my 5 string.  I use the six to try improve my flexibilty on the 5.
‎"It is okay to fail, it is unacceptable to become a failure"

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 03:15:29 PM »
Ahhhhhh.....gotcha!!!! I get that sometimes, not often but sometimes!! Lol!!

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 03:21:22 PM »
Im going to the 5. I love the feel of my 6, but not using the C string can get aggrivating just sittin there takin up space, but i hope i find one that feels the same as my 6. Im really lookin at a Jazz V.

Offline BPforChrist

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Woke up this morning with my mind Stayed on Jesus!

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 05:29:34 PM »
I started with a 4-string but I don't play it anymore, I play a 5-string most of the time ... I have a 6-string that I really like, I have it because, when I was starting out, most of the bass players I saw in performance around D. C. played a 6 ... I've found a role for it, and I take it to church when the songs being played allow me to take advantage of the C-string ... I try to use it with really quiet songs and I try to play a melody with the C ... I don't play lead bass so, I haven't found other uses for the C yet.

Can anyone offer additional ideas for using the C-string.

Offline SavnBass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Saved by GRACE .. Bass by choice

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 10:18:55 PM »
I play a 5 and will probably stay there.. I prefer the 5 over the 4 and there are practical reason s for making that switch IMO... but the 6...  I dunno... For me there is just no need to switch other than wanting something new.. and I am at the point where if I got another bass.. 4, 5 or 6.. I wouldn't want a cheap one.. I would want a quality instrument.. and right now I just cannot justify it on any level other than a purely selfish one.
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 10:20:45 PM »
i love my 6 string. i also love my 5's as well. its not about how many strings but about the bass itself. was playing on a friends Ibanez SR506 just a few hours ago. its ok, but not the same as my MTD Z6, which is the reason i didnt make the jump to the 6 until i got that MTD. to me its not about the number of strings. its all about the neck!!!
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 11:08:17 PM »
i love my 6 string. i also love my 5's as well. its not about how many strings but about the bass itself. was playing on a friends Ibanez SR506 just a few hours ago. its ok, but not the same as my MTD Z6, which is the reason i didnt make the jump to the 6 until i got that MTD. to me its not about the number of strings. its all about the neck!!!
Maybe it's about the hands.  :D I love how the SR series necks feel thin. I played some mtds at guitar center and the neck was ok but the SR neck feel better. It's almost aa easy to play my five as my four. I'm thinking it may be a difference in choices base on large or small
hands, short or long fingers. Schecter was pretty much the same as the SR series in feel. I might not have the ear for the major differences in sound yet. 
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 11:37:55 PM »
Maybe it's about the hands.  :D I love how the SR series necks feel thin. I played some mtds at guitar center and the neck was ok but the SR neck feel better. It's almost aa easy to play my five as my four. I'm thinking it may be a difference in choices base on large or small
hands, short or long fingers. Schecter was pretty much the same as the SR series in feel. I might not have the ear for the major differences in sound yet. 

well i mean in playability. of course its a subjective thing. what feels great for me may not necessarily be that way for the next person and vice versa.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 11:54:02 PM »
I've gone through about 4 6'ers with all of them being my main for at least 2 months and getting player EVERY single day and I got rid of every last one of them.

I'm a 5 and 4 string kind of guy and I've learned that works best for me.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 12:24:50 AM »
I haven't played a 6 yet, not even tinkering around in GC. I just haven't felt inclined. I own two 5's and a 4, and all of them get their share of use.

To the OP: I haven't ever had anyone come up and tell me I should be playing a 6. Although I have heard many other suggestions--but that's for another thread. ::)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up