LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is going to school for Piano a waste of time?  (Read 1196 times)

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member
  • "Yo Grandad! Buy me some Vic Firths!"

Is going to school for Piano a waste of time?
« on: March 04, 2013, 03:15:24 PM »
I know we have alot well educated gospel keyboard players on LGM and I wanted to get an opinion.

I would like to take my playing to the next level by getting some formal playing lessons in a school enviorment. Any time I asked a keyboard player in the area about lessons, I never felt like I would truly advance in my playing. Mainly because I always got the feeling that they were more interested in a "side income" than they were actually teaching. I'm not expecting to be taught for free, but the best teachers always puts out more than they get back. TBlock for example is never hesitant to share in depth knowldge with all us, no matter how silly or difficult the question may be.

That being said, is it worthwhile to spend money on formal education and learn piano the right way? And if so, how strict would the requirements be to get in? I've always been the "play by ear" guy with some knowledge of theory, so auditioning into a program somewhere obviously wouldn't be a good idea. What should I do?
Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Is going to school for Piano a waste of time?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 04:21:24 PM »
I believe it is very worthwhile to get formal education. As far as requirements, that depends on where you get your lessons. Most 4-year colleges require an audition, but i'm sure you could get into a community college w/out one. Do you have any places in mind where you want to get ur lessons from?

side rant, lol*

The problem many times with asking local people for lessons is that they may not be effective teachers. Being a good player doesn't necessarily qualify you as a teacher. How can you tell? Walk up to them after service and ask what such and such chord or run was. If they respond with "oh, you just play this like this, then that, then...." RUN, lol.

end side rant*
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 04:24:18 PM »
Let me add this as well, if you are going just to get better on the piano, then you may be on the wrong track. Your ultimate focus should be learning more about music, with a concentration on the piano. Music is so much more than knowing one or a few instruments. Education in music is what you will encounter when really getting formal lessons. Those skills can be transferable to any instrument.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline QCdrummer

• LGM Member
  • "Yo Grandad! Buy me some Vic Firths!"

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 08:57:26 AM »
The places I had in mind to get lessons from were a community college, some type of community school, or maybe I just need to find one well qualified teacher? It seems that there are pluses and minuses to each. But obviously I would have to choose the one with the most flexible schedule as I do have to continue my traditional 9-5 job.

And yes, I would be interested in learning complete musical education and do not want to leave any stone unturned.
Praise Him with clashing cymbals!

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 11:08:54 AM »
go to he school with the best piano player you can afford

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 11:10:30 AM »
fwiw, PJ Morgan is in school right now. Theres always more to learn

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 12:21:05 PM »
School is very expensive. Most people that I know that went to school for music are also looking to make a career out of music. The choice to go to school really depends on your goals. School would be good because its a good validation point  to potential clients and employers. In addition, you will be learning from professors who have at least a masters in music.

On the other hand, you could cut cost and just take private lessons from the same professors who lecture in a classroom a setting.

Offline KeyofB

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 04:21:53 PM »

side rant, lol*

The problem many times with asking local people for lessons is that they may not be effective teachers. Being a good player doesn't necessarily qualify you as a teacher. How can you tell? Walk up to them after service and ask what such and such chord or run was. If they respond with "oh, you just play this like this, then that, then...." RUN, lol.

end side rant*

Purrreach!!! You don't know how many times I have heard, "I want you to teach my grandbaby how to play the piano. How much you charge?"

My reply is always I don't give lessons because in all honesty I still need them. Then, I, depending on what area I'm in, refer them to a "teacher".

How many of them you think call? I haven't heard of one yet. Though they want me to teach them it would be a disservice to them if I would attempt to teach them what I know.

I have gotten some really nasty replys too.

But, I digress. Learning piano as in learning anything is about getting the information and then evolving it into your own style. You definitely, if you want to be really good, need to take formal lessons. Don't look so much for how well they play but rather how well they teach. Because once you have the information it's yours to keep and evolve.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 09:52:32 AM »
Maybe there is a college that offers a program like the University of South Carolina. I also see a good suggestion in their program. Find a student in a music program that will teach you.  :)

http://www.music.sc.edu/cms/private_instruction.html
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up