LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: I really don't know what to do...  (Read 9128 times)

Offline Johnny B.

• LGM Member

Re: I really don't know what to do...
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2012, 04:43:46 PM »
That was well said malthumb!!! Thanks

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2012, 06:35:34 PM »
Think about how many musicians would not be able to play to an audience were it not for the church.  Think how many would lose a living wage, or at least a supplementary wage were it not for the church.  Think also about the congregations, some who just want music and are willing to pay for it to a degree and whose demands are not that great nor is their musical sophistication at a high level.  They don't know a yamaha from a casio or a danelectro from a fender. You have these people playing and in the choir as well.   They might be satisfied.  They aren't going to pay a lot more money to personnel/for equipment  and they aren't gonna listen to very much talk about it. 

Many of them think that their musicians can play anything without practice because that is what they have seen.  I mean they really think that.  If they hear a lot of noise about it, they think the musician is just being hard to deal with.  I know so well because I thought the same way,(before I learned to play in my senior years) and still do to a point, according to the musician.(not beginners)  My daughter, who is a very good musician and makes a living at it shocked me one day by saying that she really didn't like to play for people off the cuff sometimes.  She said, people think musicians can play anything. I said Duh?

For every church where you find a well organized, professional type ensemble, you'll find a hundred as I described above. They won't change.  Do the best you can.  If the minister and congregation are satisfied, you're flogging a dead horse. 

Sometimes a musician can feel stunted in their growth in certain situations.  If they are being stunted, they would have to consider leaving for that reason, no hard feelings.

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2013, 03:22:07 PM »
You  know what is bothersome about this situation ( as most of here @ LGM us all haved experience this) is that these people who you address this problem to are the same people who told you ( AND me) that : We are trying to get to the next level.........REALLY !!!!

I hate to say this,,,,but  this doesn't go on when I have to  go play my secular gigs, and most of those guys doesn't make half of the money that I make per sun. but there is a rehearsal, they all learn the tunes the way they are supposed to be learned, and most of all they show up OWN TIME !!!!  :(

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2013, 05:38:42 PM »
You  know what is bothersome about this situation ( as most of here @ LGM us all haved experience this) is that these people who you address this problem to are the same people who told you ( AND me) that : We are trying to get to the next level.........REALLY !!!!

I hate to say this,,,,but  this doesn't go on when I have to  go play my secular gigs, and most of those guys doesn't make half of the money that I make per sun. but there is a rehearsal, they all learn the tunes the way they are supposed to be learned, and most of all they show up OWN TIME !!!!  :(

That is rare. Musicians and singers in general have a bad reputation for being late and unprepared.

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2013, 11:24:13 AM »
That is rare. Musicians and singers in general have a bad reputation for being late and unprepared.
not tolerated with  "old heads I play with .... but Malthumb gave great examples in his reply that when situations like we're mentioning go unaddress then  it just "Snowballs out of control ......and that's a "BIG problem for everyone participating in the service...
I have told my fellow musicians at the church were I worship and perform to understand that we've been blessed to be able to do what we like to do and get paid pretty well so we shouldn't get too comfortable to were we don't rehearse, or play are parts as well we are expected to play and perform them, because if we continue to do this, then we could or will be replaced not by other musicians, but by a mp3 player.....the cost.....minimal  :-\

Offline datbottom

• LGM Member

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2013, 11:42:27 AM »
Yeah....Ive sat in at this new church a total of three times. I thought I would want to be on for good but the musicians are in major need of guidance.  Ive been on bass for 10 years and have a pretty good knowledge of the instrument and music. Prior to coming to this church I pretty much played with drums, keys and organ.

The new church that I am currently sitting with has a Piano (Plays way too loud and cranks the bass part/left hand), Organ (murders the song with runs, plays too loud, plays on the pedal when a bass player is present..clashes with the piano that cranks the bass part/left hand), Lead Guitar (Solos on the wrong chords/changes constantly turns up to sit on top of organ and piano), Bass (seldomly plays because he cant hear himself over everything stated earlier/doesnt have a great ear/doesnt know what they are going to play until the piano player starts to play/gets frustrated because the piano player will not stop playing the bass part even if the bass knows it/gets these looks from the key player because he turned his bass up so he could hear himself). Drummer (tries to play every lick he knows on every song/has bad timing/has bad feel/doesn't hit the snare hard enough). All I ever hear is just noise......never anything soothing that ushers in the Spirit...the music never can breath. It is so frustrating....I dont want to come off as Mr. This and That. I dont feel as if I have been there long enough to say anything unless asked to. I must admit it is tough. I have left the church services all three times with major headaches and frustrations. The thing that troubles me the most is that everybody except the bass player thinks they are spot on.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2013, 09:00:05 PM »
Yeah....Ive sat in at this new church a total of three times. I thought I would want to be on for good but the musicians are in major need of guidance.  Ive been on bass for 10 years and have a pretty good knowledge of the instrument and music. Prior to coming to this church I pretty much played with drums, keys and organ.

The new church that I am currently sitting with has a Piano (Plays way too loud and cranks the bass part/left hand), Organ (murders the song with runs, plays too loud, plays on the pedal when a bass player is present..clashes with the piano that cranks the bass part/left hand), Lead Guitar (Solos on the wrong chords/changes constantly turns up to sit on top of organ and piano), Bass (seldomly plays because he cant hear himself over everything stated earlier/doesnt have a great ear/doesnt know what they are going to play until the piano player starts to play/gets frustrated because the piano player will not stop playing the bass part even if the bass knows it/gets these looks from the key player because he turned his bass up so he could hear himself). Drummer (tries to play every lick he knows on every song/has bad timing/has bad feel/doesn't hit the snare hard enough). All I ever hear is just noise......never anything soothing that ushers in the Spirit...the music never can breath. It is so frustrating....I dont want to come off as Mr. This and That. I dont feel as if I have been there long enough to say anything unless asked to. I must admit it is tough. I have left the church services all three times with major headaches and frustrations. The thing that troubles me the most is that everybody except the bass player thinks they are spot on.
I wouldn't mind hearing a clip of this if you can get one. You feel like making an audio recording? You couldask the guys if they mind you making a YouTube clip then post it. Tell the guys where you posted and let them read the comments. :)
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2013, 07:39:48 PM »
hmm ... interesting let them hear the comments but not directly form you that way you don't become Mr. This and That nice
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up