LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Writing Bass lines  (Read 2637 times)

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

Writing Bass lines
« on: June 28, 2010, 12:55:37 PM »
Could someone suggest an appropriate method of writing down basslines for songs?

Last week, the keyboard player started playing a song we played about a month ago but I could only remember part of the bass line. I am hoping someone could suggest an easy way to write down the notes and give the timing for the bass line.

At times I feel like I might have to write out parts of the bassline using standard notation. I hope I do not have to though.

There was another time where I had a bass line written out using the number system so something like this

1-3-5-7b

But I did not have the feel or rythm for the song so It took me a few bars before I was able to play the bassline correctly.

A part of me is thinking I should just record snippets of basslines onto my cellphone ... that way when ever they ask for a song I can quickly listen to the bassline and hopefully remember it. But then I run the risk of not knowing which notes to play if I hear it wrong ... hmmm

Oh btw I don't have youtube on my phone (no data access) so I can't use that method.

Please help!

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Writing Bass lines
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 01:30:58 PM »
I think you are close to the answer: using intervals to record the notes. If you know the lyrics, you can write the intervals above the words, which would give you a sense of timing. Here is a link to songs that are already tabbed in this manner:

http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,39645.0.html

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 01:59:43 PM »
Could someone suggest an appropriate method of writing down basslines for songs?

Last week, the keyboard player started playing a song we played about a month ago but I could only remember part of the bass line. I am hoping someone could suggest an easy way to write down the notes and give the timing for the bass line.

At times I feel like I might have to write out parts of the bassline using standard notation. I hope I do not have to though.

There was another time where I had a bass line written out using the number system so something like this

1-3-5-7b

But I did not have the feel or rythm for the song so It took me a few bars before I was able to play the bassline correctly.

A part of me is thinking I should just record snippets of basslines onto my cellphone ... that way when ever they ask for a song I can quickly listen to the bassline and hopefully remember it. But then I run the risk of not knowing which notes to play if I hear it wrong ... hmmm

Oh btw I don't have youtube on my phone (no data access) so I can't use that method.

Please help!

The best yet most difficult way is probably transcribing a song's bass line onto paper. In other words, you may have to learn how to read music. The benefit is that the note and the duration value is provided. Chord charts are great if you know how the song goes. Otherwise, they are kinda useless.   

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 03:47:04 PM »
Thank you both for your responses.

I think I will try the method Kev mentioned. Mainly because it at least appears to be easier to transpose to different keys.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 07:00:04 AM »
If your choir uses lyric sheets for the choir, you can write key notes or numbers above words. An example:

C                   C
Oh, how I love Jesus

G                   C
Oh how I love Jesus

C                   A
Oh how I love Jesus

D          G            C
Because He first loved me

I know that this is a very simple song, but hopefully get the idea. And you can incorporate runs and fills as you see fit.

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 12:18:34 PM »
Remember the purpose is for you to Remember.  (I like trying to sound cool)

But Right in a way that you will be able to understand.   In other areas of life you may jot notes that no-one else understands but you, this doesn't have to be any different.   All standard notation is, is a way to articulate music in written form for others to share.  If its just for you derive your own thing, that works for you. 

Here are some examples of how you can do it.  (Please don't disregard the shameless plugs. http://www.gospelbasslines.com)

The Solid filled lines are the 1 of the measure... the thin lines are the other beats, you could use the lines to indicate time, and put an x when notes should be played, this is not precise, but it can get you in the neighborhood.

Or

You could use symbols found in standard notation in place of the x's, and right the actual note beneath...

As you can see, there are other ways of jotting notes, to remember... and then ofcourse learning to read, and write standard notation could work out for you to...

Did I mention I have a site called Gospelbasslines.com?  Anyhow... Hope this helps.

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 02:39:53 PM »
Everyone has made some great suggestions, but I have to acknowledge the labor of our very own JeremyR! Not only has he provided a powerful tool for learning the use of keys and intervals, but its in a format that you are most likely recieve from the MOM: a chord chart with lyrics. I can't tell you the number of times I show up at rehearsal and I am handed a photocopy of a couple of songs on a single sheet of paper, with the chords over the lyrics where the changes occurs. Of course the keyboardist already knows the song, so I'm playing catch-up. That was until I focused on knowing the common chord progressions. This is where JeremyR work kicks in: I printed out all the charts and keep them in a binder. Everytime I get a new song, I catalog it by progression, then key. Because alot of songs sound the same, once i have learned one, it is easy to play the rest. However, learning to read music and transcribe is really important, because what happens when you walk into a situation and there is no chord chart or leadsheet?

Offline Wesley16

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 01:55:31 PM »
If your choir uses lyric sheets for the choir, you can write key notes or numbers above words. An example:

C                   C
Oh, how I love Jesus

G                   C
Oh how I love Jesus

C                   A
Oh how I love Jesus

D          G            C
Because He first loved me

I know that this is a very simple song, but hopefully get the idea. And you can incorporate runs and fills as you see fit.

How do I begin to play this "very simple song" if I never heard it before? That's the problem that I'm cur-
rently having at rehearsals when our new MOM hands out a sheet or two of paper with the chords over the
lyrics of songs that I never heard before. I've only been playing bass for just about a year now, and all the
other musicians have double digit years of playing their instrument(s). I'm bless to be surrounded by so much
talented musicians, but I know I got to increase my knowledge of everything there is to know about read-
ing, playing chord sheets, as this is very new to me, and I know more chord sheets are coming my way in
the future from our new MOM. I do record rehearsals, I know my notes on the fretboard, I'm below average
at reading music, and transcribing songs, big weakness for me, but I do practice daily at trying to get better. My question for JeremyR is, how do I locate your list of songs that has the chord chart with lyrics,
and if I never heard the song before, how do I get a feel for the song? Thanks for help in advance !

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 09:45:50 PM »
How do I begin to play this "very simple song" if I never heard it before? That's the problem that I'm cur-
rently having at rehearsals when our new MOM hands out a sheet or two of paper with the chords over the
lyrics of songs that I never heard before. I've only been playing bass for just about a year now, and all the
other musicians have double digit years of playing their instrument(s). I'm bless to be surrounded by so much
talented musicians, but I know I got to increase my knowledge of everything there is to know about read-
ing, playing chord sheets, as this is very new to me, and I know more chord sheets are coming my way in
the future from our new MOM. I do record rehearsals, I know my notes on the fretboard, I'm below average
at reading music, and transcribing songs, big weakness for me, but I do practice daily at trying to get better. My question for JeremyR is, how do I locate your list of songs that has the chord chart with lyrics,
and if I never heard the song before, how do I get a feel for the song? Thanks for help in advance !

I would suggest that, if you never heard the song before, just listen (while following along with the chord charts) until you can get the feel of the song.  Don't feel the pressure to play along with a song that you haven't heard before.  Also, see if you can get a list of songs ahead of time.  That way even if you can't figure them out on your own, yet, you will still have an idea of how it sounds.  And listen to as much music as you can get your hands on to familiarize yourself with different types of songs. 

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 10:09:04 PM »
the only way to truly get a feel for a song that u havent heard before is to listen to it. somebody there has heard the song before so they know the feel, so u can listen to them play it. otherwise if ur in a situation where nobody knows the music nor heard the song before, save it for next rehearsal and have the MOM give you the music or tell you the title and who its by if you can get it yourself or find on youtube.

this happens to me a lot. when i get a song, i usually just download the whole album if i can, but sometimes i dont get to listen to the other songs until a while after. so when somebody brings a song i've never heard, sometimes i actually have the song on my iPod, so i just cue it up and listen. This also happens when Im playing with my jurisdiction's mass choir, but usually at least 1 musician (in these cases we cant count the drummer) knows the song so the rest of us can listen to the changes as well as the feel of the song.

Thats just how it goes. If someone is gonna bring in a new song during rehearsal, you shouldnt think you are under any pressure or obligation to get the song perfect during that rehearsal.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 11:43:51 PM »

Invest in a tape recorder, a digital voice recorder or use the recorder on your cell phone to record rehearsals. That way you can hear the song as it will be played by the musicians (much, much more valuable than the CD version in some cases). The recordings will compliment whatever written material you accumulate on the song.

Offline kevmove02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 07:42:16 AM »
Normally, the chord symbol is placed over top of the word in the lyrics that the chord change occurs. So in the example, on the word "Oh" everyone is playing a C Chord, which repeats at the word "Jesus". The next "Oh", everyone is playing a G chord. You, as the bassist, can play the root note at each chord. As you listen to the drummer's rhythm and the keyboardist pattern, and the guitarist strum pattern, you will get a sense of how the pulse of the song. Boom tap tap, boom tap tap, boom tap tap, we be the pulse we hear on a song played at 3/4 time. Once you get the feel, you can start playing notes rhythmically with the drummer or melodically, helping to emphasize the melody and harmony. This may seem alot to absorb, but its pretty easy to pickup. Try this exercise: following a song you know, play the root on the chord changes, and try to imitate the drum pattern in between the chords. This can be done by muting the strings so instead of tones, you get a thud sound that is closer to a drum sound. Damain Erskine has a great video demonstrating this here:

Hope that helps.

Offline Wesley16

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 09:42:56 PM »
Thanks Kev and everyone who responded to my question. I invested in a very nice recorder, and now I can
replay p&w rehearsals over and over, play along with the songs while trying to get better at reading chord charts. As stated before, I've only been playing bass at my church for about a year now, and when this new
mom came along and started handing out chord sheets, well at first I was clueless, but once again I came to
this website and the LGM fam came through once again with info and help. Thanks again everybody!!

Offline Andrzej

• LGM Member
  • I've got 5 on it!
    • Kings Church

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 09:04:39 AM »
If you can record the music (either studio tracked or live with a decent condenser mic), pop it onto a cd or mp3 you can use a phrase trainer to help you apply your bass line compositions.  I use one of these when I only have access to a live recording:

Tascam CD-BT2 Phrase Trainer For Bass Guitar

You can slice up the arrangement, repeat any section you want and even slow down the track without any loss of pitch!  I have found it very useful.  Make notes about how you play the lines...mood, speed, rhythm etc... as well as the notes that you play.  I really recommend that you do that because I have been in plenty of situations whereby a song has been left alone for several months then comes back into the forum to work on and finish I have completely forgotten what I played previously!

I often get the pressure put on me to come up with a killer bass line to a new song immediately because of my song writing and performance experience.  Doesn't always happen that way.  Sometimes I am not in a creative mood, the song doesn't really speak to me on a musical level, the song writer is short of ideas or can't communicate to other musicians very or sometimes it's just because the song requires a bit more thought.  From conception, a song can grow very quickly or slowly.  It just happens that way and it's neither good or bad.  I have written songs within a couple of hours and some have taken a couple of months.

Don't feel pressured that you have to come up with the goods on command.  Plus, don't be afraid to make suggestions to the song writer and musicians of you spot something not quite right for you or express other creative ideas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up