LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: suggestions?  (Read 1230 times)

Offline William76

• LGM Member

suggestions?
« on: July 24, 2010, 05:42:18 AM »
I have recently been born again. Anyway long story short my mother-in-law outted me as a guitar player at church and we have only a bassist, key board and drumer at the moment. They really want me to play, and I kind of want to but, it was 15 years ago since I jammed with anyone. Not to mention it is an entirely new genre of music for me. I have spent all my time up until now playing thrash metal i.e. exodus megadeth (you get the picture)and have noticed it is a tad odd for what they play. Any suggestions on how to over come these minor set backs? That and I have developed stage fright LOL

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 10:43:46 AM »
One thing I strongly suggest is getting emersed into gospel music. Listen to as much of it as you can on a regular basis. Listen to a variety of gospel as well so that you can become familiar with the different styles out.

Next, what you can do is play along with the CDs as you listen. Practicing and playing gospel music will be a big help for you. The same way you practiced the heavy metal stuff, you're gonna have to do double that in gospel because it's an unfamiliar genre of music to you.

The last thing is see if you can get in some practice with the bad at your church. This gives you a chance to hear how they sound, and it gives them a chance to hear you. See if there is a way yall can blend your styles.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline William76

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 08:06:10 PM »
thank you much for the advice I will give it a shot.  ;)

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 10:07:41 AM »
What T-Block said.  Have you ever heard of Lincoln Brewster?
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 01:28:26 AM »
From a keyboard player - playing lead (single-note solo) lines in between the vocals may be your way in. Use a mellow tone to start, and study up on some Jazz/neosoul chords, especially those voicings further up the neck.

Cosign on the suggestion to jam and play with the Praise band during rehearsals. Let them know that it's for rehearsal only, and let them be the ones to ask you to join them on Sunday when you feel ready...
Pages: [1]   Go Up