LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Texting while driving is bad, m'kay?  (Read 2327 times)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Re: Texting while driving is bad, m'kay?
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 02:08:23 PM »

Neither do I. I never quite understood that. Most people don't drive with two hands anyway, so....

Exactly. I know a guy who only has use of his right hand and he drives just fine.

I also see people driving with bluetooths who are so wrapped up in their convo that they are driving obliviously.

OT: I think people wearing bluetooth look like idiots. especially the ones who wear em 24/7. I've seen people with them on in church :-\

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 02:18:58 PM »
Exactly. I know a guy who only has use of his right hand and he drives just fine.

I also see people driving with bluetooths who are so wrapped up in their convo that they are driving obliviously.

OT: I think people wearing bluetooth look like idiots. especially the ones who wear em 24/7. I've seen people with them on in church :-\

I sooooo agree!!! If you're gonna just wear it to talk, fine by me. But if you're walking around with it and you're not on the phone, wearing it like some kinda accessory or something. Yuck! Double yuck! In church? Triple yuck!!! At a restaurant, movies, park, in the office??? It's just not cool, and it's almost as though they think it is.

The photographer from our church dedication took a picture of a bishop standing up worshiping. He had his bluetooth in. I would post the pic, but I don't want to disrespect him. He's really a nice guy and I love his wife. But that was just dumb.  :-\
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline sistagurl

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 02:29:40 PM »
I don't understand why it is so important to answer or send a text while driving. If I get one while I'm driving, I don't bother with it until I'm stopped somewhere.

I'd hate to know that I killed a child or anyone because of negligent carelessness.
It just goes to show how we get so caught up in our own selves we don't think about
anyone else.

I've had people almost rear end me because they were texting. I've watched them in my rearview mirror. They don't even seem to care.

Anyway, I know that's not the only thing people can do to cause accidents. THat's one of the things that's steadily growing. And nine out of ten cars you pass, someone is either texting or talking. Just look next time your driving if you hadn't noticed. Even the police do it...

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 02:33:28 PM »
I sooooo agree!!! If you're gonna just wear it to talk, fine by me. But if you're walking around with it and you're not on the phone, wearing it like some kinda accessory or something. Yuck! Double yuck! In church? Triple yuck!!! At a restaurant, movies, park, in the office??? It's just not cool, and it's almost as though they think it is.

The photographer from our church dedication took a picture of a bishop standing up worshiping. He had his bluetooth in. I would post the pic, but I don't want to disrespect him. He's really a nice guy and I love his wife. But that was just dumb.  :-\

Yeah. I find that its mostly older people who do that.... like 40 and 50 year olds.... they love their bluetoofesess

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 02:40:37 PM »
I don't understand why it is so important to answer or send a text while driving. If I get one while I'm driving, I don't bother with it until I'm stopped somewhere.

I'd hate to know that I killed a child or anyone because of negligent carelessness.
It just goes to show how we get so caught up in our own selves we don't think about
anyone else.

I've had people almost rear end me because they were texting. I've watched them in my rearview mirror. They don't even seem to care.

Anyway, I know that's not the only thing people can do to cause accidents. THat's one of the things that's steadily growing. And nine out of ten cars you pass, someone is either texting or talking. Just look next time your driving if you hadn't noticed. Even the police do it...
A cyclist got killed by a cop here on the 4th of July.  No one could figure out why he didn't see the cyclist... then reports started coming in that he was texting at the time.  I never did get the final result of that story, I'll have to look it up.

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2010, 02:44:21 PM »

Haha.  My FL can't resist answering her phone and it rings ALL the time, so one time she was singing a solo at a banquet in Sacramento, and the bluetooth rings in her ear.  She says she pushed answer so they would know she was up singing, lol.  So one time... her grandson and I were sitting at a restaurant and she had gone to the restroom.  She left her phone but had that doggone bluetooth in her ear.  We thought it would be funny if I called and he answered on her handset... she heard us on the line but wouldn't say anything.  We had fun with that for a while, lol.  I blamed it all on him when she came out.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2010, 02:50:43 PM »
A cyclist got killed by a cop here on the 4th of July.  No one could figure out why he didn't see the cyclist... then reports started coming in that he was texting at the time.  I never did get the final result of that story, I'll have to look it up.

That's just such a bad legacy to leave...
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline sistagurl

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2010, 02:52:58 PM »

I believe it. It really makes a police force look bad when the officers are doing it.
But I guess where there's not a law against it........ :-\

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2010, 03:08:11 PM »

I just googled that. Such a sad story.

One of the articles had a comment from his fiance. Tearjerker. She said she had often heard people say that they wanted to die, and she never quite understood how someone would feel that way. And now she understands.

I didn't see anything on the final resolution. The most recent article I came across was in August when they said that the investigation was complete, but would not be made public until the DA's office had reviewed it. I hope they brought someone else in to do the investigation.

Offline B_X

• LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2010, 03:12:27 PM »

They should just wear two, at least that way it would look like jewelry...

A cyclist got killed by a cop here on the 4th of July.  No one could figure out why he didn't see the cyclist... then reports started coming in that he was texting at the time.  I never did get the final result of that story, I'll have to look it up.

That's terrible... In Philly I used to ALWAYS see cops on their cell phones. A friend of mine is a Transit bus driver and he updates us on facebook all day long. So sad...

Funny we are talking about this, I just came from lunch and saw a lady almost get taken out by a guy driving a FedEx truck and appeared to be texting... The lady was in shock, cause she was so close to being run down. Its terrible.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2010, 03:42:15 PM »
I honestly dont think that bluetooths are that much safer than holding a phone in your hand while driving. btjmo

Some recent studies have shown such to be true. It's actually the act of the conversation that is the major distraction in the case of cell phones and texting and a bluetooth, while seemingly a wise move, is not a deterrent to being distracted.
http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/safety/articles/43812/article.html

"What About Hands-Free Phones?
One would think that using a hands-free phone would solve the problem. It leaves you with two hands on the wheel, right? Not necessarily. Most hands-free users are using some form of headphone or earphone. These often ill-fitting devices have frequent volume problems and can themselves be a source of distraction. The IIHS reported that a driver's likelihood of getting in an accident increases fourfold when talking on a wireless phone, whether handheld or hands-free."

Anymore, I just don't talk on the phone while driving. If it's important I'll either call back or pull over.
The responsibility of driving is just too important, imho, and as I stated above this issue hits really close to home for my family.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2010, 03:59:18 PM »
Thanks, Dave. I'm really starting to get this... or, I'm really starting to be convicted by it.

I drive way too much, and of late, have really been thanking God for safe travel. It really has been frightening me lately to consider all the possible accidents I could have. It's just scary. I'm not going to frustrate grace by making it harder for God to protect me than it has to be.

Offline SavnBass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Saved by GRACE .. Bass by choice

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2010, 10:24:51 PM »
TWD is not just bad it is stupid.. as for people who wear bluetooths (would thst be blueteeth?  :P) often..  Sometimes like in my case, you just forget you have it on.. I spend a lot of time on the road.. and I prefer to use my BT rather than holding the phone.. I use voice command to dial if I have to.. I am a field engineer and my van is my office..
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up