LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird Songs (or weird lyrics)  (Read 24844 times)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

Weird Songs (or weird lyrics)
« on: August 16, 2010, 03:35:45 PM »
Yesterday on our way to church, I was telling some sisters about the last service of our Convocation, which was absolutely bananas!! I was explaining how the spirit spread like wildfire and folks were just all over the place, and one of the girls started singing "Holy Ghost power's moving just like a magnet..." (and yes, that's a real song)

I cracked up laughing because I hadn't heard that song since my college days. Then, I cracked up because the lyrics are just so... strange to me. Boy, we sure did sing some funny stuff back in the day.

*walks off singing in full accent* Ahwhen de devil say no, King Jesus say yes, you can climb upon de mountain..."
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline SirTJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Weird Songs (or weird lyrics)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 03:39:58 PM »
Didn't the old folks used to sing a song that said "My mind...my mind...my mind is gone."  :D :D

And who can forget the infamous "What's the matter with Jesus...He's alright."  ::)

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 03:45:27 PM »
LOL @ Teej!!! both of those top my list. 

I was just listening to a song on Pandora while I was at work Saturday... two adjacent lines of the song were totally contradictory and I had never noticed it before!  I got ready to tell my friend about it yesterday, and couldn't for the life of me think of the song! 

The Holy Ghost moving like a magnet?  Never heard that one... that IS strange.  :D :D

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 03:57:59 PM »
LOL @ Teej!!! both of those top my list. 

I was just listening to a song on Pandora while I was at work Saturday... two adjacent lines of the song were totally contradictory and I had never noticed it before!  I got ready to tell my friend about it yesterday, and couldn't for the life of me think of the song! 

The Holy Ghost moving like a magnet?  Never heard that one... that IS strange.  :D :D

Stuff like that drives me nuts. I was just telling the girls yesterday as we were riding along playing JH & VOC's latest that there is one song on there that I just have to skip every single time. It might be a cool song, but I will never know because I can't get past the fact that they are singing "if you praise me, He'll make it alright." It's like HUH??? I mean, I know what they mean, but why couldn't they fix that and sing it right??? NOBODY caught that??  :-\ ?/? >:(  Makes me totally dislike the song, despite the fact that the music is hot.

And yeah, Holy Ghost power moves like a magnet, you didn't know??

Holy Ghost power's moving just like a magnet
Move on you, move on me, just like the day of Pentecost

It's an old Jamaican song, and there's no doubt in my mind that some church mother made it up in the middle of a hot service... and somehow, it caught on.  :D (when we were kids, we used to sing "moving just like a bandit" -- not being funny, that's really what we thought the words were.  We also used to sing:

a zombie, a zombie, Jesus wants me for a zombie
A zombie, a zombie, I'll be a zombie for him.

Of course, i don't find that so funny anymore).  :-\

:D :D :D
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 04:01:13 PM »
Didn't the old folks used to sing a song that said "My mind...my mind...my mind is gone."  :D :D

And who can forget the infamous "What's the matter with Jesus...He's alright."  ::)

That reminds me of "I feel God stretching out in me...:D ?/? :-\ :D :D :D  or better yet,

My body (belongs to God)
My body (belongs to God)
My body (belongs to God)
My whole body (belongs to God)

And then the leader would start ad libbing
My hands and my feet (belong to God)... or my ears and my eyes... until that inevitable moment where they "ran out" and would just start singing all kinds of crazy body parts! Don't let them get all excited and worked up: My spine and my femur!!!!  :D :D :D

AND DUDE. I NEVER REALLY UNDERSTOOD THE "WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH JESUS"

Huhhhhh????  :-\ ?/? ?/? ?/?

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 04:04:19 PM »
That reminds me of "I feel God stretching out in me...:D ?/? :-\ :D :D :D  or better yet,

My body (belongs to God)
My body (belongs to God)
My body (belongs to God)
My whole body (belongs to God)

And then the leader would start ad libbing
My hands and my feet (belong to God)... or my ears and my eyes... until that inevitable moment where they "ran out" and would just start singing all kinds of crazy body parts! Don't let them get all excited and worked up: My spine and my femur!!!!  :D :D :D

AND DUDE. I NEVER REALLY UNDERSTOOD THE "WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH JESUS"

Huhhhhh????  :-\ ?/? ?/? ?/?
Hahaha! That used to be a regular song at my dad's church.  I was so scared somebody was gonna slip up and get vulgar mentioning body parts, lol.

Offline Hasmonean1

• LGM Member
    • HVAC International Parts

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 04:12:03 PM »
Hahaha! That used to be a regular song at my dad's church.  I was so scared somebody was gonna slip up and get vulgar mentioning body parts, lol.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

About twelve years ago a young lady broke out with "Hey yall, how ya been doin, since ya been filled with Holy Ghost".   She tore it up but I haven't heard it since.

I never really got, "I aint gonna study war no more", from "Down by thr Riverside".   Whoever wrote those lyrics must have really hated history class.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline SirTJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 04:16:14 PM »
This thread has me so weak. You haven't seen comedy until you've seen church comedy.  :D :D

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 04:18:21 PM »
"Hey, y'all..."  I heard that song!  But it was like on the radio or something.  At first I was like "Wha???"  But then it got catchy, lol.

Offline blessedwoman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I am who God says I am

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 10:12:52 PM »
"Oh Mary Don't you Weep" stumps me every time lol. I'm like how do you go from Mary and Martha weepin and moanin to Pharoah and his army drownin in the Red Sea LOL! I just don't get it smh...

It's another one they played up here on the Philly station that goes

Rock my soul,
Rock my soul,
In the bosom of Abraham...

Nice beat, but lyrically? Negative
Did you feed your spirit man today?

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 10:24:06 PM »
OMG I was just on the phone with our Chief Intercessor (I just made that title up... lol) and we were talking seriously... and I read your stoopid post and busted out laughing!!! LOL! Then I tried to play it off and had to put her on hold because I just couldn't control it!

Dangit BW, you got me in trouble!  :D :D :D

Okay but seriously, I had never thought of that. Exactly how DID they go from Mary and Martha weeping to Pharoah and the army drowning in the Red Sea???  :-\ ?/?

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 10:52:32 PM »
Move on you, move on me, just like the day of Pentecost

man that wuz the joint....

*runs off to get his steel pans**

a zombie?(sunbeam)haha..never thought of that....

Jamaicans will make up a song quick.

i thought of this, the LGM caribs wlii geta kick out of it. play from 1:10

Lenny Henry interview - Parkinson - BBC

Offline jayhbiz

• LGM Member
  • 'Tha Garden'

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 11:02:21 PM »
Why I gotta be different I don't know, but 'my mind is gone' is actually a pretty good song when you think about it b/c it's a testament about how we don't think the same when we get saved. The song goes on to say 'that old mind I use to have, that old sinning mind, etc. Even though I've never sang it, that's my song! 

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 11:32:53 PM »

+1

(when we were kids, we used to sing "moving just like a bandit" -- not being funny, that's really what we thought the words were.  We also used to sing:

a zombie, a zombie, Jesus wants me for a zombie
A zombie, a zombie, I'll be a zombie for him.

I never heard the first one, but that was funny!  LOL!  A zombie?  XD

I never heard of the song, but lol!

"Oh Mary Don't you Weep" stumps me every time lol. I'm like how do you go from Mary and Martha weepin and moanin to Pharoah and his army drownin in the Red Sea LOL! I just don't get it smh...

It's another one they played up here on the Philly station that goes

Rock my soul,
Rock my soul,
In the bosom of Abraham...

Nice beat, but lyrically? Negative

I've noticed that some of these songs I questioned when I was a kid and accepted as I got older.  The first time I heard the phrase "rock my soul in the bosom of Abraham" it was a bunch of older women singing a faster paced song and they said it like "rock-a my soul in the bosom of Abraham".

play from 1:10

Lenny Henry interview - Parkinson - BBC

I'm not Caribbean but my mom and I died laughing at this.  XD

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 11:36:09 PM »
OMG Wolfie!!! When Jesus put His Reeboks on?? Trained by God?!!! I am THROUGH!!!! *SO WEAK*  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Okay believe it or not, I actually found a video of a guy playing Holy Ghost Power Moving Just Like a Magnet.  :D :D :D

Disclaimer: This is NOT how we sang it in my church, but the melody IS the same. His sounds kinda jazzy. Ours sounded kinda... loud and Jamaican-churchy. LOL!

The Holy Ghost Power is moving just like a magnet

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 11:38:02 PM »
Wolfie!!!  Hilarious!!!!

"We're gonna mash up the devil with the love of Jesus..."  LOL!  

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 11:43:04 PM »
Wait where mi yardies? Who remembers "Move Satan move and mek me pass"?!!! LOL!!!

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 11:46:05 PM »
And don't get me started on "shut up, me shut up, me shut up, me shut up!!" LOL!!!

That was always my favorite!!!! I declare if I find that on Youtube it is OVER!!!!!

Offline blessedwoman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I am who God says I am

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 11:58:02 PM »
LOL! Sorry Rue

OMG I didn't believe my sister when she said they had a song back in the day that says
"I don't want no peanut butter and jelly, I just want my soul to be right."
Then...I heard the song. Even if it is a kiddy song, are you foreal? LOL
Did you feed your spirit man today?

Offline OleJ

• LGM Member
  • The Roberta Martin Singers
    • The Golden Era Gospel Blog

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 12:16:54 AM »
I LOVE the old golden era gospel, but I heard a song called "If this ain't the Holy Ghost, I don't know, it's alright with me". Just me, if it's NOT the Holy Ghost and I don't know what it is making me feel like that, it's NOT alright with ME, LOL! It's the first song in this medley.
The Stars Of Faith Medley

God wants Spiritual Fruit, not Religious Nuts. Check out my blog:http://goldeneragospel.blogspot.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up