LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fretboard knowledge...  (Read 1303 times)

Offline yep

• LGM Member

Fretboard knowledge...
« on: September 17, 2010, 06:46:57 PM »
What is an easy way to learn the fretbaord outside of the (Hunt and peck mode)? Some say learning the  scales will help, but the patterns take care of that.will learning the fretboard automatically make me a better player?

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Fretboard knowledge...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 10:40:38 PM »
On a five string bass, the notes across the fret board follow the circle of fourths exactly. So if you know the notes chromatically on the "B" string, you know the notes on the bass (if you know the circle of fourths). Open strings B, E, A, D, G--First fret C, F, Bb, Eb, Ab,(or the Sharp equivalent)--Second fret  Db, Gb, B, E, A. Guess what the third fret on the B string is. And then, of course (D) G, C, F, Bb, going across. Fourth fret, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, B and on and on.  When you get to the twelvth fret, it all starts over.   Studybass.com has a very good tool for learning the fret board as well. it is free.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 11:41:39 PM »
will learning the fretboard automatically make me a better player?

No, unfortunately only practice will do that.  :)

However, learning the fretboard will give you options on where to play the patterns.

Offline ccweaver

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bass, Singing, Piano, Guitar. I love music!

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 09:43:35 AM »
I prefer the flashcard method. I've been working at it for the last few months each day and I have noticed considerable improvement in being able to find a note on the fretboard or to know what note I'm playing if I'm "by earing" at times.

I bought a set of flashcards for my 5-string bass from here:

http://www.12tonemusic.com/index.php/cName/bass-flashcards?osCsid=6f8669166b4cd5c534d78f478b6868f1

It's cool because I can practice the flash cards anywhere. I usually run through them at the gym, or while I'm walking to/from work or church.

Of course, you have to couple this with playing the notes physically too. So, I'll do a drill where I play all the As, then all the Bs, etc, all the way through the flats/sharps as well.

I've also tried to force myself to play higher up the neck, between the 5th and 12th frets. That's helped to, plus gives me more playing options.

Offline BassbyGrace

• LGM Member
  • striving

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 03:11:12 PM »
A Method I used to use (well actually still use trying to get used to my 6) is I will take one note and just play that note and say it everywhere its found on the board.  Like take E.  Play E on the open string and say  "E".  Then play it on the second fret on the D string and say "E".  Then on the 7th fret of the A string, "E" again.  All the way up to the highest E you can get to.  Then skip around with it.  Play a high one, then a low one.  Play all the E's on one string.  Saying it will get it in your mind, and afterwhile when you look at the note, your mind will say it automatically.  I do this for maybe 5 min. then take another note.  After a while you wont have to do it with every single note, because the relationships between notes will take over (kind of what berbie was getting at).  Worked for me.
Praise Him!

Offline Torch7

• LGM Member
    • Gospel Bass Guitar Lessons Site

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 06:26:57 PM »
Pages: [1]   Go Up