LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Miscommunication  (Read 2040 times)

Offline syddie

• LGM Member

Miscommunication
« on: October 01, 2010, 04:01:43 PM »
Need your advise guys. 

I handled a situation with our bass player poorly and I need to correct it.

We have a very important event (a TV recording) scheduled for 10/02/10.  A few weeks back, I had a meeting w/all choir members and musicians to go over selections, the revised rehearsal schedule, attire for the event, etc. I also told everyone that if ANY REHEARSAL IS MISSED (by ME, Musicians, Choir/Praise Team Members), that person would not be able to minister on the big event (we only had 3 rehearsals and A LOT to cover).

Okay, so the bass player's guitar was in the shop.  We had one rehearsal and he was not there.  Before the 2nd rehearsal, he called me and said his guitar would be fixed by the 2nd rehearsal. I specifically asked him if he felt he could be ready w/just 2 rehearsals (I was prepared to re-cant given the fact that his equipment was broken, not that he was just being lazy, etc).  He told me, "Honestly, no" he did not think he would be ready and "fair is fair." 

SOOOOOO, I hired a bassist for the event.  Now our bassist shows up to the 3rd (and final) rehearsal looking confused and hurt b/c the hired bassist is playing.  I spoke w/him at that time b/c I was confused since he told me he did not think he'd be ready and "fair is fair."  I could tell he was hurt.

Obviously, there was great miscommunication between me and our bassist. 

He does not seem terribly upset, but I don't want to offend anyone.  This is/was a huge event for our church and Pastor did not want any half-stepping. 

I know I can be a bit abrupt at times and not very sensitive.  So, how can I fix this???  What do you suggest?

Thanks a bunch!

Offline cordney

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • We will meet again!!!

Re: Miscommunication
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 04:12:03 PM »
Coming from a bass player:  I feel like you handled the situation pretty well!  One thing that you might want to look at is actually letting both bass players play...if feasible.
‎"It is okay to fail, it is unacceptable to become a failure"

Offline bbrooks

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 04:13:54 PM »
I know I'm new to making responses, but I've been a member since 2008. I just wanted to comment on what just happened. You should have a one on one talk with the bassist and reassure them that they are still a valued member and that you appreciate all that they do. Remind them of the importance of the event and that we all want to give God our best at all times, but more so since then will be aired on t.v. where you don't know who will be watching. Let them know that this is not a permanent replacement and that it is only for this occasion. If we were in the business world, we could be more frank and less courteous because its about business, not feelings. Since this concerns a church member, we need to take their feelings into consideration and not let them have ANY reason to feel like they are not wanted. I hope this helps.

Offline Docdb04

• LGM Member
  • I Stand At the Door and Knock

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 08:48:31 AM »
I know I'm new to making responses, but I've been a member since 2008. I just wanted to comment on what just happened. You should have a one on one talk with the bassist and reassure them that they are still a valued member and that you appreciate all that they do. Remind them of the importance of the event and that we all want to give God our best at all times, but more so since then will be aired on t.v. where you don't know who will be watching. Let them know that this is not a permanent replacement and that it is only for this occasion. If we were in the business world, we could be more frank and less courteous because its about business, not feelings. Since this concerns a church member, we need to take their feelings into consideration and not let them have ANY reason to feel like they are not wanted. I hope this helps.

Cosign

Coming from a bass player:  I feel like you handled the situation pretty well!  One thing that you might want to look at is actually letting both bass players play...if feasible.

That is always an option.

I don't think you handled this wrong.  From what I read, the communication was there and you gave him the opportunity to be a part of this event. 

Offline syddie

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 11:45:46 AM »
Thanks for the advice!  Our event went very well, praise God!  I've spoken with our bassist, though not in depth, and he seems okay.  But I think I will have a one-on-one with him before next rehearsal to let him know we do value his service.

Thanks again everyone!
Pages: [1]   Go Up