Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dues  (Read 5921 times)

Offline karlmhoon

• LGM Member
    • Pentecostal COGIC Greenville Ky.

Re: Dues
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 01:46:53 PM »
I would say to use it for outtings, fixing up, and for broken instr.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 02:46:44 PM »
So, you wouldn't have a problem with it as long as you know where the money is going?

No, I still have a problem with it. Well actually, I don't have a "problem" with it (semantics?). I just don't really like it. I'm not a fan of dues. Like, if I were in the choir (and I am) and he said from now on, we're assessing dues of $20/month, I would pay them faithfully. BUT... I wouldn't like it at all. It definitely wouldn't be cheerful giving. LOL! Plus, I think $20 is a lot of money for dues. But like I told him, "that's just me."  (His response was "yep, that's just YOU lol")

I guess I'll ask him what they will be used for.

He just replied to my inquiry. His response:

and to answer your question about dues.  the dues will help cover the care of the music ministry. it will be of help where needed, i.e., gas for engagements, music, cd's, materials for the choir, etc.... eventually, we are going to saving up for robes.

I told him that that's his decision to make. A lot of times people come to me for permission or advice concerning areas that are not within my authority, so I like to make it clear that I don't have authority to make this decision, I can just tell you my opinion on it. I reiterated my opinion and said "but that's just me."

I didn't say this part to him, but: I think that gas for engagements should be paid by those riding the van. I don't ride vans, so I don't want to chip in for gas for it, meanwhile still having to gas up my own car. Plus, thus far all our engagements have been local or relatively close so that this is moot for now.

Music - $400/month? That's a lotta music, buddy... lol.

Materials for the choir - I don't know what that means, other than music.

Saving up for robes - Everyone should/can buy their own robes.

That's just the way I see it. But I dare not make a fuss about it because I don't like causing other leaders any headache, since I appreciate it when they don't cause me any headaches.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 03:11:22 PM »
I can see not wanting to pay dues. It's like saying, 'Hey, you wanna sing with us? Ya gotta pay us.'  ?/? :-\

At the same time, I can see collecting dues if:

1. The pastor is fully aware of the situation and has someone outside of the music ministry checking the books.

2. The music ministry wants to do something and not drain the church's finances (e.g. have Fred Hammond come and do a concert; have someone host a music workshop).

BTJM.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 08:58:23 AM »
I can see not wanting to pay dues. It's like saying, 'Hey, you wanna sing with us? Ya gotta pay us.'  ?/? :-\

At the same time, I can see collecting dues if:

1. The pastor is fully aware of the situation and has someone outside of the music ministry checking the books.

2. The music ministry wants to do something and not drain the church's finances (e.g. have Fred Hammond come and do a concert; have someone host a music workshop).

BTJM.

Yeah, that part in bold is my primary issue.

But yeah, the Pastor would have to approve dues (and I'm not sure he will; he and I have never broached that subject, so I don't know where he stands on the matter).  As for the books, it is unlawful for churches to operate auxiliary accounts, so all intake would have to go into the "main" account and be recorded in the main record book. My church is small, so there are 3 people in the choir who also serve in Finance. It will be very easy to oversee that part...

*sigh* One more bill...  ::)
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline bbrooks

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 05:59:28 PM »
I do not like the paying of dues either. I'm the minister of music for 5 choirs and they expect me to pay for 4 out of the 5: the mass choir, the senior choir, the youth choir and the men's chorus. The inspirational choir is the only one that doesn't collect dues and I like it that way. I serve in a small, rural church and this supplements my income as a substitute teacher. There are times when I just do have gas to make it to rehearsal, back home and to church on Sunday before I get my check from playing. The secretary who collects the dues looks at people who can't pay as if they just robbed somebody! She's constantly trying to find fault with the young adults who have young families who don't pay their dues. She's quick to say, "If it wasn't for the seniors, the choirs wouldn't have any money." You might be asking, "What is the money used for?", that's a good question, because they don't reimburse me for ANY of my personal expenses for the choirs: cds,ink cartridges, sheet music, music ministry books. I have even stopped remitting my receipts to the church for reimbursement because I've just gotten apathetic about it. Sorry to rant, but I don't like the dues either.

Offline karlmhoon

• LGM Member
    • Pentecostal COGIC Greenville Ky.

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 09:47:54 PM »
all said well

Offline sonicfoxbody

• LGM Member
    • Southeast Organ Co

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2010, 07:04:31 PM »
We have 4 choirs at my church. This is what I gather from what I've seen (I'm usually not paying attention nor in the sanctuary when they have a meeting before rehearsal)

Senior choir, I believe they give whatever they can. I've seen them use the money for various things the last thing they gave was to a family to help with funeral costs.....

Youth choir, I've never seen them collect money

Men choir, I just learned last night that they have a $2 monthly per member due. If you cannot afford $2 a month to put in your choirs' account or you're tripping about that not sure what to say.....

Inspirational Choir, same deal as senior choir, give what you want or whatever you feel you can.

Each choir has their elected officers including a treasurer that documents everything that's been given and what not.

Some may say it is non sense and whatever a choir member needs they can buy themselves, essentially isn't that the same thing as paying a due? Yes it is.....
Southeast Organ Co
Follow us on Facebook
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up