LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New member here  (Read 946 times)

Offline walterhiggs

• LGM Member

New member here
« on: October 07, 2010, 12:43:53 PM »
Hello, all!!! My name is Walter.  I live in Jackson, MS. I am a guitarist and am new to playing gospel music. I was playing heavy metal, and now working on blues. I am starting to play in my church band and having difficulty learning alot of the songs that they do. This band is primarily piano based, so trying to play with a piano seems difficult to me. Any pointers out there??? I really need to learn to apply some guitar riffs and licks to the songs, and not necessary play what the piano plays. Anyway, enough of my ramble. I hope to get alot from this site. God Bless You!!!!!!

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: New member here
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 04:15:54 PM »
Welcome to LGM, walterhiggs!

Blues licks are good for most Trad. Gospel, IN BETWEEN the vocals (not over them). If you look on YouTube you can find some Gospel/Jazz players for the more contemp. stuff, like Jonathan Butler, saw him interviewed on Tavis Smiley's PBS show recently.

And you may have to learn some flat keys, like Eb, Ab, Bb, Db...

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://WWW.URIAHSMUSIC.COM

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 09:32:43 PM »
these 2 should set you straight

earcandy1.swf

earcandy2.swf

Offline walterhiggs

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 10:19:08 PM »
Thanks for your tips uriah!!!!

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 06:18:07 AM »
The biggest thing I had problems with in going from hard rock to gospel or ccm style was all the little passing chords, like the Db/A walking from a D to Bm, for instance. They just weren't in my arsenal.

Also, working on putting pieces where they need to be, and texture, rather than going full-go on 11 all the time lol.

Offline Abe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 11:41:16 PM »
Walter,
Are you listening to the hallelujah FM Clear-Channel station in Jackson?
That can help you absorb various gospel music styles, changes, breaks, bridges, etc. to seperate the rock style from the gospel style. Play/practice along with the radio to get that gospel swag and don't forget "uriahsmusic" videos. They are hot!  8)
Abe
8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up