LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nice to hear other Hammond players  (Read 1115 times)

Offline zb3

• LGM Member

Nice to hear other Hammond players
« on: October 18, 2010, 01:29:11 AM »
Well I was down visiting Redding California with my church to join in celebration of a Pastor anniversary of being in the ministry for 48 years and I got to hear three other Hammond players.  I am new to playing Gospel style B3 in church and to hear these three worshipers which had different styles was like being in school.  Where I live there are no other Hammond players besides me that I know of so this was a blessing.  I felt out of place since I so not know the songs yet but one gentleman told me about the African American Hymnal which he said has a lot of the songs in it. Playing for the Lord and learning and growing is such a blessing.  God bless you all, Wayne

Offline sonicfoxbody

• LGM Member
    • Southeast Organ Co

Re: Nice to hear other Hammond players
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 07:37:19 AM »
I try and expose myself to other musicians and organists as much as possible. For instance I occasionally make the 3 hour drive to see family and when I'm there I sit with my uncle that's been an organist for 35ish years. Every time I sit down and play with him I learn something. Every time I watch him play I learn something as well. No matter how long you've been playing there is always room to learn new things.

The African American Hymnal is a good one, I think I bought mine at Amazon. I got at my church a little late once I took the position they'd just went to a newer style Hymnal so I couldn't suggest that. However we don't use the Hymnal that much anyways (1 song on 1st and 3rd Sunday comes out of the Hymnal). I'm a firm believer that Hymns are a foundation for learning how to play.
Southeast Organ Co
Follow us on Facebook
Pages: [1]   Go Up