LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Honor my request!  (Read 1988 times)

Offline CHI-MD

• LGM Member

Honor my request!
« on: October 19, 2010, 05:38:59 PM »
I'm posting this question specifically for advice from the MOM's and Choir directors.

Ive been coming into this same situation like every so often the same choir member comes to me and says Mother or sis (sow-n-so) requested us to sing this song or that song. Honestly I dont believer her and its getting to be a little redundant. ....I know people have their reasons for requesting a particular song.. maybe they need to be uplifted or encouraged, or thy just may want to hear it.......The choir sings 3 songs on Sunday, so  the formula we've developed for Sunday morning is 1 song that exalts, honors God. 2 Something to uplift the congregation 3. A song of praise (no particular order). Personally I dont like doing request, because they'll never stop and then choir then becomes a jukebox. My view is that the choir is a ministry within the church's ministry allow them to minister to you and be receptive enough to get what it is you need.

Im sure you guys have had these kind of situations.

How do you handle them?

What's your response to them?

Should you honor request?

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: Honor my request!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 06:04:27 PM »
My first question to you is: Does the song fit the criteria you stated?

If the answer is yes, I don't see why you wouldn't honor the request.

The next question is: How often are requests made?

If the answer is often, then I can understand...especially if it's the same song request.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 07:00:21 PM »
If they choose good songs that wont be a problem for the choir to learn,  then I would consider doing them, but I would try not to make a habit of taking request from those who are not in the music ministry.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 12:20:27 AM »
No last-minute requests, unless they know it and HAVE IT DOWN - and that is hard for most choirs to do, unless they are on the pro level, they need at least one rehearsal.

I would probably say something like "Let me think about that - maybe in the next few weeks or so..."

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 12:56:30 AM »
Wow, I can't believe I  disagree with you two on this. LOL. Well, I don't totally disagree, but my first instinct when reading the post was a kinda ghetto neck-roll, frowned face, hand-on-hip type of reply... If I'm picturing this correctly, this is a sister coming to you on Sunday morning saying "can we sing so-and-so today?" or "Mother Parks would like us to sing such-and-such today." In the first case, I would comply ONE time and after that, only if the Holy Ghost led me to comply. I would tell her, "I'm sorry. Maybe next week," and walk away. But honestly, I wouldn't really be in that situation because I'm a planner so by Sunday, I would've already prayed about the song list and planned what we're singing. Same thing goes for rehearsals. I'd already know what we're rehearsing, so her request would probably be too late.

Now, if this were a one-time thing (which you made it clear that it's not), I wouldn't mind obliging her. But over and over? Heck no.

If Mother Parks was sending a message, I would sing the song she supposedly requested, then go over to her after service and say "so I heard you put in a request for 'Pass Me Not', did you enjoy it?" That will let you know whether Mother really requested that or the sister just lied.

I'm just cautious of people trying to control my operations, and after you give them a little leeway and it gets out of hand, you'll be the one having a hard time killing the monster you created.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 01:14:44 AM »
I'm just cautious of people trying to control my operations, and after you give them a little leeway and it gets out of hand, you'll be the one having a hard time killing the monster you created.

exactly.

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 03:47:45 AM »
No last-minute requests, unless they know it and HAVE IT DOWN - and that is hard for most choirs to do, unless they are on the pro level, they need at least one rehearsal.

I would probably say something like "Let me think about that - maybe in the next few weeks or so..."
This is what I hate! I'm not professional so I like it when people come to me ahead of time for a request. When I come to choir practice I like to already know how to play the song so that all the choir has to worry about is doing their part. BTJM
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 05:25:49 AM »
No last-minute requests,

End. thread. :D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up