LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Software Recording  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Mrandrew

• LGM Member

Software Recording
« on: October 22, 2010, 03:16:26 PM »
When recording using software is it better to recording in midi or audio?

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

Re: Software Recording
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 03:41:30 PM »
ive observed many people do a combination of such. Especially when they're skilled at one particular instrument, but not others. For example, I'll play keys and record via midi, that way i can edit the notes (erase the bad notes, adjust the timing of misplaced notes, etc), other instruments (drums, strings, etc) i'll actually use the DAW software and draw in the notes and manually adjust the values (attack, duration, etc). For bass (since im a bass player), i'll record straight audio, which is probably the last instrument i put in.

MIDI was a lifesaver for drums (i used to have a drum machine and set up loops and record via audio). With midi, if i needed to change the rhythm a bit or wanted to explore with different kick patterns, or whether i wanted the placement of other pieces different, i could adjust on the fly.

Also, i would suggest using Midi to flesh out your song ideas FIRST. Many people dont actually know the b.p.m. tempo of their songs off hand. I mean, we've all done this in a live setting where the song felt dragging or was sped up, so after u start putting things together, with midi, u can change the tempo just by adjusting the b.p.m, whereas with audio, u have to record everything all over again. With pure audio recording, the alternative is rehearsing with a click track, but as we all know everyone doesnt have the luxury of such things, especially when putting together recordings solo.

Also, unless ur an engineering pro, which im guessing ur in the starting phases, doing arrangements may not be second nature. If i lay down a melodic line in Midi, i can assign it to any instrument to really feel how it fits. Nothing worse than having a flute player come in for recording and then say, "i'd rather have a sax play that line".

I just gave a few examples of the benefits of MIDI, and probably some definite ways to take advantage of it. But I have seen many projects set up where engineers have MIDI for some tracks, loops and samples for others, and real players playing for other tracks. Maybe the actual combination depends on the song, or the style of the putting together the recording. But all in all, its usually more of a mix and match kinda thing.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.
Pages: [1]   Go Up