LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The difference between gospel music and jazz  (Read 12498 times)

Offline hehe

• LGM Member

The difference between gospel music and jazz
« on: October 25, 2010, 10:43:07 PM »
Gospel (Gospel) Music: The History of American black serfs, after receiving the Christian faith, often praying in the fields, ugg boots baby hoping to reduce the pain of labor. Soon evolved into impromptu musical performances. After the abolition of slavery, black people organized their own church, and to this form of music as a kind of church activities. Mid-20th century, Elvis Presley to introduce gospel music to your style, then this kind of record company Motown music commercial. ugg boots classic Late 70s, is gaining popularity of gospel music and popular music production and use of a star way, evolved into the contemporary Christian music. Major gospel music artists 阿瑞萨弗兰 Franklin, Wei Nansi family and Kirk Franklin.
Generally the earlier gospel band with a singer infectious singing in front of the back together with beautiful harmonies, musical accompaniment is usually only the piano, organ and tambourine. Subsequently, there have been other instruments such as organ, piano, guitar join.
There is also a black religious life in the song is called "soul" and spiritual songs developed later, as more and more elements of jazz, and slowly evolved into a gospel song. Soul, gospel music with "soul jazz" is a roaring fun Improvement (Hard Bop) of one, are also a kind of jazz.
Jazz is also originated in the black slaves, New Orleans is the cradle of its birth.
Gospel jazz music more than instruments saxophone trombone trumpet tuba piano banjo (later replaced the guitar and double bass) guitar, electric guitar violin viola cello double bass drum wood pipe, etc.
There is also a relatively large difference between the simple gospel music
And jazz itself so many types of sub-structure on it will be richer than the gospel music
Are the two most jazz beat, every two beats or four beats section. The second bass beat rhythm of the persistence in the background, making the Jazz a stable, regular rhythm foundation. The top of the rhythmic bass, it is the location of the irregular accent melody, harmony and counterpoint, syncopation effects are commonly used in bass voice and law of the formation of a strong contrast between.
It can be said of jazz harmony is completely built on the basis of traditional harmony, but more freedom to use a variety of chord changes, the main difference between them is caused by the blues chords.

Offline bug

• LGM Member
  • Best teacher is one who makes you want to learn.
    • http://Music Services

Re: The difference between gospel music and jazz
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 12:27:57 PM »
These two musics are developing at the same time.Gospel harmony is using more extended and altered chords than it used to use. That might be from the influences of John P Kee (Jazz influenced keyboards) and Kirk Franklin who are hearing these new chords and adding them into the voicings of vocal and instrumental harmony. I hear this new harmonic vocabulary in Hezekiah Walker and a lot of the lesser known young choir director/musicians. I am old school and started playing for churches back in 1962 way before these new sounds were coming into the music. We never voiced chords with no 3 and no 5 but you hear them all the time now. I hear chords with a bass and upper structure without the 3rd and 5th of the harmony sounding. There are all kinds of innovations in Gospel now. This is an exciting time for the development of the music. I hope it continues.
Traditionally we always had a Root, third and fifth in the harmony because that is how chords are formed. The singing voices would follow suit to the next highlest or next lowest position as we worked through the song from chord to chord in close or open postion. Hymn books are written with open position harmony. This contemporary harmony does not follow those rules, so it sounds fresh.
There have been a lot of developments in Jazz also since 1962. Phyrgian harmony, sus chords with flat 9 ect... are new sounding to us and we go hey that is different and I like that. I need to listen to that again. There is no end to how many ways harmony can be changed under a melody. It is very exciting.
The greatest mistake most amateur musicians make is giving up.  Don't give up !!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up